Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Rant Reserve Price is stupid

Sergeant Cid

Avatar: 167814 2011-07-31 00:46:27 -0400

[The Airship]

Level 35 Re-Re

Scientifically Proven Terrible fabulous person..... Evidence shows mbumive build up of semen deposit in bum.

Hiku Posted:

I just lost a bid because of reserve price. As a newbie, I was not aware of such. Displaying it would truly be helpful. : | I was happy about winning for nothing.

If it’s too good to be true, then it usually isn’t.

AIDS woman's genitals

Avatar: 184403 2009-09-17 04:10:15 -0400

Level 69 Troll

show me your zucchini and I'll show you my cugreat timesber :zak:

Sergeant Cid Posted:

If it’s too good to be true, then it usually is.

Fix’d I think that’s the sentiment you were trying to convey

Catt although

Avatar: 46806 2022-11-29 03:06:42 +0000

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Last Catt Standing

AIDS woman's genitals Posted:

Fix’d I think that’s the sentiment you were trying to convey

Before Cid bans you for trolling, I believe he meant it isn’t true, while you mean it is too good.

AIDS woman's genitals

Level 69 Troll

Catt although Posted:

Before Cid bans you for trolling, I believe he meant it isn’t true, while you mean it is too good.

No. If something is “too good to be true” then it usually is. But if something is,and I quote:

Sergeant Cid Posted:

If it’s too good to be true, then it usually isn’t.

Then it makes no sense…

Peregrine

Avatar: 135742 2011-10-31 19:55:54 -0400

[love is a dog from-
hell
]

Level 35 Camwhore

Forumwarz' Pretend Homosexual

itt other mods exhibit english skills worse than aldo’s

Nigel

Avatar: 65734 Wed Nov 19 01:21:22 -0500 2008

[fine upstanding member of society]

Level 69 Permanoob

“Permanoob”

Bear

Avatar: 19845 2011-10-31 11:07:12 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Emo Kid

“The Infinite Sadness”

Never put reserves on any of my auctions and never plan to.

Sargent Cid Posted:

Catt Although Posted:

“If some thing sounds too good to be true it probably is.”

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1O214-smthngsndstgdtbtrtprbblys.html

Catt although

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Last Catt Standing

Then it makes no sense…

“it usually is” is definitely the more common way to say it (or actually, “it probably is”­), but “if something is too good to be true, then it isn’t (true)” is sometimes used as well.

comparison with “ususally”

comparison with “probably”

AIDS woman's genitals

Level 69 Troll

Catt although Posted:

”it usually is” is definitely the more common way to say it (or actually, “it probably is”­), but “if something is too good to be true, then it isn’t (true)” is sometimes used as well.

Ok,point taken.

Cid uses a rhetoric that a small percentage of people can relate to. Hell,I’m no wordsmith either…

EDIT: I also have difficulties with BBCode.

AIDS CUNT edited this message on 08/04/2010 11:53AM

Sergeant Cid

Avatar: 167814 2011-07-31 00:46:27 -0400

[The Airship]

Level 35 Re-Re

Scientifically Proven Terrible fabulous person..... Evidence shows mbumive build up of semen deposit in bum.

AC had a valid point and I didn’t take it as trolling. Technically & grammatically, each of our versions could be interpreted in the intended manner, but Bacchus hit the nail on the head with the best version of what I was trying to express.

Ilwrath

[Island of Avalon]

Level 35 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

Catt although Posted:

...And reserve prices aren’t displayed, because that’s would defeat the reserve price’s whole function….

How-so? Currently, people either bid over the reserve by chance or no one wins and in fact the seller looses money. By showing the reserve it would prevent the case of people bidding (for instance) a mere 2k flezz under the reserve unknowingly.

Also If I’m willing to pay 3 mil flezz for this thing, and I see the reserve is 5 mill then fine I wont bid and have that flezz to bid on something else. Currently I would have 3 mill flez tied in auction for maybe days that even if no one else bids will end up pointless because I didn’t know you wanted 5 mill minimum.

mterek

Avatar: 192622 2009-09-24 16:39:01 -0400

[mahjong]

Level 69 Re-Re

$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Bear Posted:

I did that for .moar byproducts I didn’t want, but found out the same person keeps buying the same files whenever I put them up. If that’s the case, I might as well sell them to the Ppwn Shop.

Catt although

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Last Catt Standing

Ilwrath Posted:

How-so? Currently, people either bid over the reserve by chance or no one wins and in fact the seller looses money. By showing the reserve it would prevent the case of people bidding (for instance) a mere 2k flezz under the reserve unknowingly.

Also If I’m willing to pay 3 mil flezz for this thing, and I see the reserve is 5 mill then fine I wont bid and have that flezz to bid on something else. Currently I would have 3 mill flez tied in auction for maybe days that even if no one else bids will end up pointless because I didn’t know you wanted 5 mill minimum.

From ebay –

“Why have a reserve price?

Many sellers have found that too high a starting price discourages interest in their item, while an attractively low starting price makes them vulnerable to selling at a price that’s too low. A reserve price helps with this.”

Revealing the reserve price makes it essentially the same as a minimum price – although it’s an okay idea to do that here, to lower the deposit. Personally, I don’t like the concept of reserve price auctions, and I think it would sense for here for an auction with an “x” reserve price to have the same deposit as an “x” minimum price.

Aldo_Anything

Avatar: 32555 2014-07-18 11:39:53 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

male reproductive organMEISTER

Bear Posted:

Yeah but what do you know about making flezz? Log in to see images!

mterek

Avatar: 192622 2009-09-24 16:39:01 -0400

[mahjong]

Level 69 Re-Re

$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Catt although Posted:

Revealing the reserve price makes it essentially the same as a minimum price – although it’s an okay idea to do that here, to lower the deposit. Personally, I don’t like the concept of reserve price auctions, and I think it would sense for here for an auction with an “x” reserve price to have the same deposit as an “x” minimum price.

Equal pricing for reserves and min bids should already be in place, but they’re not because of the restrictions on min bids. Ironically, the price of setting a reserve depends on the starting price –

http://www.forumwarz.com/discussions/view_post/833877

The major difference between Kyoubai! and eBay is eBay doesn’t charge a list deposit based on an arbitrary third party reference value, but instead levies a post-sale fee. eBay’s rate is nearly 10% of the selling price, which is enormous ( 100M sale,  10M fee) and as much as I hate refunded auctions, losing a Colonel Sanders auction with the highest possible Buy-It-Now, a reserve, and a 72 hour auction seven times would be less of a loss than a 10% surcharge on a successful 100M sale.

I think the easiest solution is to get rid of the upper limit for the base cost. It’s ridiculous to have it, the maximum the Ppwn Shop will purchase stuff at is 66.5% of the base cost, let alone 200%. To alleviate the problem of scale losses, cap the base deposit at a starting bid of [Base Cost]*2.

This way, if someone sets a starting bid of  1B on a Colonel Sanders, they won’t lose  60M in deposit fees, merely  2.4M. They still have the option of setting a reserve, but this allows people who don’t care for setting up auctions over and over to tell buyers who don’t browse Flamebait how much they want for stuff.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!