Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Macho Handofg0ds permaban

Inertia

Avatar: 60995 Fri Apr 03 12:59:05 -0400 2009

[Shii is gay]

Level 35 Troll

also wow i have no male reproductive organ

so like

this isn’t a discussion about the game

but i want to know how hog hacked tubs account

edit: he hacked his email account?

Inertia edited this message on 01/31/2009 2:38PM

Kilroy

Avatar: 62524 Fri Dec 26 00:25:59 -0500 2008

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

I have no idea what handofg0d did. I saw the thread in Active Topics or whatever, but didn’t click it. Handofg0d was pretty cool, but “hacking” into an account, especially a mod’s account, should be a bannable offense. Whether it’s perma or temp depends on his record here.

Physics

Avatar: 83756 2009-10-01 09:57:31 -0400

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 69 Hacker

Making laws and snuggling dark matter.

Kilroy Posted:

I have no idea what handofg0d did.

i’ll leave these here for the n00bs

1.) http://forumwarz.com/discussions/view/15911

2.) http://forumwarz.com/leaderboard/epeen/48

TurboSquid

Level 4 Hacker

“BASIC”

Inertia Posted:

so like

this isn’t a discussion about the game

but i want to know how hog hacked tubs account

edit: he hacked his email account?

Tubs used a @mailinator.com account, and the pbumword recover feature only needed you to fill in the email, go to the email address, and click a link. There was no hacking, just stupidity.

FAIL

Avatar: 36735 2015-06-13 23:04:37 -0400

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 25 Re-Re

Head of the Ministry of Man bumes

moral of the story: use a pbumword protected email account when signing up Log in to see images!

Physics

Avatar: 83756 2009-10-01 09:57:31 -0400

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 69 Hacker

Making laws and snuggling dark matter.

another fascinating story about the relationship between the human element in computing and insecurity.

and the moral is… unban handofg0d.

Jojo Mellow

[7 VIBRATING DOLDOES]

Level 15 Hacker

Ooh, I wonder what this bumon does... Uh-oh.

Physics Posted:

and the moral is… unban handofg0d.

This. Seriously, seriously this.

Kilroy

Avatar: 62524 Fri Dec 26 00:25:59 -0500 2008

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

Jojo Mellow Posted:

You leveled up :B

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

Jojo Mellow Posted:

SIG-ENABLING-
MOCK-CONGLER

Avatar: 50390 Tue May 26 17:55:44 -0400 2009

Level 35 Troll

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA AHHAAHAHAHAHAH

Fran Posted:

Yeah. People seem to forget what would’ve happened if he had any malicious thoughts. From the time between his posts, he could’ve wreaked havoc worse than the Bizarro Tom incident.

TUBS is my friend and I won’t deny that. But I won’t defend him if his pbumword was that easy. As I said, I don’t believe in hacking.

we need ppl like hog, who are p good at finding cz’s weaknesses, imo..its good for all parties involved.

1338h4x

Avatar: 22473 Sat Nov 29 21:01:08 -0500 2008

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 35 Troll

7 Vibrating Doldoes was never a meme

TurboSquid Posted:

Tubs used a @mailinator.com account, and the pbumword recover feature only needed you to fill in the email, go to the email address, and click a link. There was no hacking, just stupidity.

Well, sounds to me like Tubs simply ****ed up when it comes to security 101. h0g barely did anything.

Unban.

Acid Flux

Avatar: 6767 Tue Mar 17 11:41:54 -0400 2009

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Troll

KYOUBAI IS SUPER-SERIOUS BUSINESS

SIG-ENABLING MOCK-CONGLER Posted:

we need ppl like hog, who are p good at finding cz’s weaknesses, imo..its good for all parties involved.

So long as he reports it in the proper method, I agree 100%. He should be unbanned, but definitely on thin ice.

Acid Flux

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Troll

1338h4x Posted:

Well, sounds to me like Tubs simply ****ed up when it comes to security 101. h0g barely did anything.

Unban.

Even if the padlock on the garage is old & rusty, if you break it off and take stuff out of the garage, that’s a crime.

A low level of security is absolutely no excuse for violating that security.

Tubs should have been much more careful with his account. But in no way, shape or form does that grant HoG any right or privilege to abuse that lack of security. HoG needs to handle any security holes he finds in the future much differently. Exploiting such a security hole ‘for the lulz’ immediately invalidates any claim of ‘tying to help point out security flaws’. If HoG had Tubmailed ET as Tubs and said, ”Just so you know, this isn’t Tubsweetie. I was able to access his email because his security on it was extremely poor. Here’s a quick example of how it was done, and a suggestion on how to fix it. This needs to be addressed IMMEDIATELY, because there are hundreds of destructive things that a malicious person could do wreck the forums. Please send any Haxploitation E-Peen or Thank You BPs to HandOfGod.”

Then that would have still been awesome, even if he’d copypastaed the Tubmail after the fact. If he’d done that and was banned at all, I’d be 100% in support of his immediate unban, and I’d be protesting that he should never have been banned in the first place. But he went for the lulz first, and apparently, Admin’s sense of humor differs from his.

That said, Un-Ban HandOfGod please.

SimplyTHEBEST

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

Acid Flux Posted:

If you break & enter into someone’s home, you don’t get to claim innocence just because you only messed up the house a little bit.

But it’s still B&E/trespbuming.

Breaking and entering requires that you gain entry forcibly. If the door wasn’t locked then it’s not B&E. If you left the key under the mat, that’s ALSO not B&E.

Trespbuming still applies though.

Acid Flux Posted:

Even if the padlock on the garage is old & rusty, if you break it off and take stuff out of the garage, that’s a crime.

Tubs was using a MAILINATOR account, and mailinator accounts are PUBLICLY VIEWABLE. For these purposes, we can consider it a “shared account”.

1: HoG made a LEGITIMATE request to the server for a pbumword reset. He did not hack the site, he did not intentionally send it bad data, he simply used the form like any other person would.

2: HoG checked that email account, to which that he had LEGITIMATE access.

3: He used the information in that email to attain access to Tubs’ account.

If you ask somebody for the key and they give it to you, then barring coercion you have done nothing illegal. IIRC, under both US and Canadian law, legitimate possession of a key is considered legitimate access. In other words, if you have a house key that you acquired legally, then it’s not trespbuming to be in that house.

It’s also worth noting that HoG didn’t go around screwing things up when he got in. He played a prank or two and didn’t even TRY to cover it up.

While NORMALLY I would be saying that he should have reported it to ET and not done anything else, this IS FWZ and there IS a culture here to consider.

Taking that into consideration, playing harmless pranks is certainly acceptable behavior. To say otherwise is making things SRS BSNS, and just going to result in a negative community response.

TL;DR: Tubs is a ****up, HoG didn’t do anything too bad, unban him and make Tubs use a REAL email address. Give him like a 1-week temp ban for illegal alting and call it a day.

Acid Flux

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Troll

SimplyTHEBEST Posted:

1: HoG made a LEGITIMATE request to the server for a pbumword reset. He did not hack the site, he did not intentionally send it bad data, he simply used the form like any other person would.

Here’s where I disagree. Unless the email account was intentionally set up as a public use account for anyone to access, then HoG was ‘pretending’ to be Tubs in order to access the email account.

Now, if this particular email service really was designed so that it had virtually no security… then… frak, why the hell would you ever use the damn thing? That’s about as irresponsible as writing down all of you pbumwords and account numbers and taping it to the top of your laptop (which I’ve seen done, and I shudder at the memory).

However, even if you see a key in the lock, if it’s not your house, you have no business going in there. That’s Strike #1. Strike #2 was when HoG decide to ‘go for the lulz’ instead of simply reporting the security hole he found to ET & CZ.

I’m shocked that Tubs would have such an unsecure email account, for any purpose whatsoever. I wouldn’t keep my grocery list in a public access email.

Acid Flux edited this message on 02/01/2009 12:58AM

FAIL

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 25 Re-Re

This is a pretty silly argument. Of course h0g was illegally trying to access tubs’ account. That is against the rules and he should be banned for it.

The only thing that is debatable is how long the ban should be. With his seemingly harmless motives in mind, my vote is for a week then let him come back. Not on thin ice, let him serve the time he knew he was going to get and then be back in good standing.

Be done with it, it was a harmless prank that could have been harmful but wasn’t at all because it was h0g who is awesome.

Fingerz

Avatar: 22863 2010-11-15 01:15:51 -0500

[7 VIBRATING DOLDOES]

Level 35 Emo Kid

A neverhasbeen

FAIL Posted:

h0g and tubs both bring a lot to flamebate (which is honestly the best part of this game, especially after you beat it) and it would be a shame to see either of them go.

This.

Acid Flux

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Troll

FAIL Posted:

This is a pretty silly argument. Of course h0g was illegally trying to access tubs’ account. That is against the rules and he should be banned for it.

The only thing that is debatable is how long the ban should be. With his seemingly harmless motives in mind, my vote is for a week then let him come back. Not on thin ice, let him serve the time he knew he was going to get and then be back in good standing.

Be done with it, it was a harmless prank that could have been harmful but wasn’t at all because it was h0g who is awesome.

Upon further reflection, I totally agree. No thin ice (but if I were HoG, I still wouldn’t push it again, and be a bit more… reserved next time.

FAIL

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 25 Re-Re

h0g is no longer permabanned! REJOICE!

pieyum

Avatar: 104284 Thu Jan 22 21:59:47 -0500 2009

[Vacation Hideaway]

Level 33 Hacker

“01001000 01000001 01011000”

Hurray

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!