Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Religion The benefits or harm of the concept of 'God(s)'

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

DarkDespair5 Posted:

Justice = punishment. Mercy = forgiveness. They are mutually exclusive.

Also, that’s not right. What about people who live in a setting that prevents them from learning anything about God? What about people who suffer mental psychosis?

The Bible is a bit iffy on it, to be honest. From what I understand, it says that people unaware or prevented from knowing will be dealt with less severely.

Honestly, we have to just have faith that the divine ruler will be able to be fair, and place them where they belong. At the same time, it raises the urgency for us to bring the Word to all people, as well.

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I asked you one. Log in to see images!

And that wasn’t even a very tough one.

Here, answer me this:

According to the Law of Conservation of Mbum, matter cannot be created or destroyed.

According to the Second Law of Thermodynamics, perpetual motion is impossible. Infinite systems eventually shut down and cease to react.

Therefore, according to science, matter cannot have existed infinitely, but also cannot have been created.

DarkDespair5

Avatar: 77864 Thu Jun 04 08:28:46 -0400 2009

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

Shii Posted:

The Bible is a bit iffy on it, to be honest. From what I understand, it says that people unaware or prevented from knowing will be dealt with less severely.

Honestly, we have to just have faith that the divine ruler will be able to be fair, and place them where they belong. At the same time, it raises the urgency for us to bring the Word to all people, as well.

If they were sent to heaven, it wouldn’t be “fair” as they did not accept God. If they were sent to hell, it wouldn’t be “fair” because they have done nothing wrong and *cannot* accept God.

Catch 22.

DarkDespair5 edited this message on 01/26/2009 2:47AM

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

Also, if all matter prior to the Big bang was collected within a singularity at the center of the universe, what possibly could have caused it to explode?

The gravity would be so crushing that nothing would ever escape, since even a black hole lets not even light out, so clearly an explosion is out of the question.

Furthermore, it could not have been an outside force in physical space, since all energy and matter was in the singularity.

According to science, the Big Bang is impossible.

DarkDespair5

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

Shii Posted:

I asked you one. Log in to see images!

And that wasn’t even a very tough one.

Here, answer me this:

According to the Law of Conservation of Mbum, matter cannot be created or destroyed.

According to the Second Law of Thermodynamics, perpetual motion is impossible. Infinite systems eventually shut down and cease to react.

Therefore, according to science, matter cannot have existed infinitely, but also cannot have been created.

So the universe has not/will not run forever. Big deal.

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

Matter exists, though.

Where did it come from? It cannot be created or destroyed, and it cannot have always existed.

DarkDespair5

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

Shii Posted:

Also, if all matter prior to the Big bang was collected within a singularity at the center of the universe, what possibly could have caused it to explode?

The gravity would be so crushing that nothing would ever escape, since even a black hole lets not even light out, so clearly an explosion is out of the question.

Furthermore, it could not have been an outside force in physical space, since all energy and matter was in the singularity.

I’m not a quantum physicist.

But these guys are:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_bang

We do not know exactly how the universe began. This is a large crucial question.

BUT we are farther along than a made up story about a magical man who singlehandedly created the universe.

DarkDespair5

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

Shii Posted:

Matter exists, though.

Where did it come from? It cannot be created or destroyed, and it cannot have always existed.

We have no idea. This does not mean your version of creation is right, though, remember that.

We might know after the LHC starts its experiments recreating the beginning of the universe.

DarkDespair5 edited this message on 01/26/2009 2:56AM

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I just personally fail to see how science, a system based completely on testing of something multiple times to ensure probable outcome, can even remotely comprehend anything involving the beginning of everything, especially when it doesn’t follow the very laws science claims.

I also fail to see how faith that a man-made system of rules will explain everything eventually is different from faith in a religion. The only difference is mine isn’t limited by physical reality.

DarkDespair5

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

Shii Posted:

I just personally fail to see how science, a system based completely on testing of something multiple times to ensure probable outcome, can even remotely comprehend anything involving the beginning of everything, especially when it doesn’t follow the very laws science claims.

I also fail to see how faith that a man-made system of rules will explain everything eventually is different from faith in a religion. The only difference is mine isn’t limited by physical reality.

You CAN’T say what you are saying without understanding quantum physics. This is not my field. This is not your field. Yours also isn’t testable. Trying to know the beginning of the universe is like trying to measure the dimensions of a box when you are inside it. It is possible, it just hasn’t been done.

DarkDespair5 edited this message on 01/26/2009 2:58AM

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

My uncle is a physicist, and if I had the time (it’s 2 am and I have clbum in the morning) I would get into how quantum physics also lends credence to the existence of some outside observer in the universe as well.

It deals with the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, and the property expressed by Schrodingers’ cat in that an observer must be present for any physical reality to exist, else every possible outcome happen simultaneously.

But unless you’re already familiar with the concept, it takes too much time to explain.

DarkDespair5

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

Shii Posted:

My uncle is a physicist, and if I had the time (it’s 2 am and I have clbum in the morning) I would get into how quantum physics also lends credence to the existence of some outside observer in the universe as well.

It deals with the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, and the property expressed by Schrodingers’ cat in that an observer must be present for any physical reality to exist, else every possible outcome happen simultaneously.

But unless you’re already familiar with the concept, it takes too much time to explain.

I trust you know the arcane calculus behind everything?

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

Don’t write me off ;-) I’ve done a lot of research and reading in a lot of different fields looking for contradictions/support of Christianity. I don’t believe things lightly.

Anyway, I had a good time tonight; get the old brain muscle working. I hope that you feel a bit more knowledge about Christianity, even if you don’t believe it. People should always know what they’re turning down.

See you later.

EDIT: Knowledgeable* >->

Shii edited this message on 01/26/2009 3:02AM

DarkDespair5

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

Shii Posted:

Don’t write me off ;-) I’ve done a lot of research and reading in a lot of different fields looking for contradictions/support of Christianity. I don’t believe things lightly.

Anyway, I had a good time tonight; get the old brain muscle working. I hope that you feel a bit more knowledge about Christianity, even if you don’t believe it. People should always know what they’re turning down.

See you later.

See ya, I feel the same way ^^

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

^-^

CroMagnon

Level 16 Troll

“Inflammatory Agent ”

Sigh. Arguments that neither side can win are not cool. But the title of this thread is, “The benefits or harm of the concept of ‘God(s)’”

The harms. Currently, alot of people are doing things in the name of their god. Actualy, its been going on for a long time, but becuase of the media, it is getting more and more prominent. Its Terrorism. You cant wage a war agenst it, more than you can wage a war agenst the sun.

The inquizitions, the which burnings, 911, they are all the same thing. Terroism. We are going to have to chose, one day soon, weither too keep believe in God.

God has done far more harm, historicaly, than good. Who says that can change?

DarkDespair5

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

I somewhat agree. Belief in an all-powerful deity strips a human of her/his dignity and self-worth. Paraphrasing someone random:

”I’d rather be a baron in hell than a servant in heaven”

I would not like to relinquish my life to some superior authority. That’s not how I roll. Cooperation, but not submission. My moral compbum is calibrated by my own observation and experience, not by some dictum literally cast in stone. There is nothing more degrading than living life as a puppet for an invisible and intangible entity.

Choosing to follow a god is still following. It’s living as a slave to an idea.

OverclockedJ-
esus

Avatar: 16071 2010-02-06 15:55:38 -0500

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

Shii Posted:

Cause had no meaning there.

Shii Posted:

You should refrain from speaking about that which you know naught. Just a helpful suggestion.

DarkDespair5

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

OverclockedJesus Posted:

should refrain from speaking about that which you know naught. Just a helpful suggestion.

I was pointing out to him that we can’t really discuss it in great depth when we both don’t not know the full mathematics behind the theory. Which are extremely complicated.

Also, you need to appear more on non-SRS discussions.

DarkDespair5 edited this message on 01/27/2009 6:39PM

DarkDespair5

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

Why is NO SRSLY such a quiet forum?

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!