Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Religion The benefits or harm of the concept of 'God(s)'

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

Where did I say everything was an analogy?

Well over half of Scripture is written as a literal narrative.

DarkDespair5

Avatar: 77864 Thu Jun 04 08:28:46 -0400 2009

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

Shii Posted:

Where did I say everything was an analogy?

Well over half of Scripture is written as a literal narrative.

A narrative ridden with plot holes and incongruencies.

What was the purpose of “Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.” (I Corinthians 14:34-35) ?

Or

“For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man. Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.” (I Corinthians 11:8-9)

Literal?

DarkDespair5 edited this message on 01/26/2009 1:47AM

CroMagnon

Level 16 Troll

“Inflammatory Agent ”

Shii Posted:

No, nihilism is believing in nothing whatsoever.

Not believing the world has no inherent meaning. You would dispute the claim that atheists don’t see the world as being anything more than a cosmic accident?

Lol, reminds me of a pastor in the dogreat timesetary “The God Deseption”. He said, “Some people find it hard to look at an ear or an eye and say it happened by acident.” (reffering to evolution) This was a pretty big **** up.

Only idiots think that evolutionist think like this. Its not an accident, its natural selection.

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

Again, I don’t recall seeing any ‘plot holes’ or ‘inconsistencies.’

All contradictions are due to faulty exegesis. And I’m really not stretching the interpretation much. People just have a tendency to pick out singular lines without bothering to find who the book was written too, written by, and what the surrounding pbumages say.

Anything can be misconstrued when the reader is trying hard enough.

DarkDespair5

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

CroMagnon Posted:

Lol, reminds me of a pastor in the dogreat timesetary “The God Deseption”. He said, “Some people find it hard to look at an ear or an eye and say it happened by acident.” (reffering to evolution) This was a pretty big **** up.

Only idiots think that evolutionist think like this. Its not an accident, its natural selection.

Proven by DNA evidence. Fossil records. Carbon-14 analysis. Vestigial structures. Archeological finds/fossils.

DarkDespair5

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

Shii Posted:

Again, I don’t recall seeing any ‘plot holes’ or ‘inconsistencies.’

Enlighten me on the true context or purpose of the above. On WHAT context would that be acceptable?

DarkDespair5 edited this message on 01/26/2009 1:49AM

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I’m not sure what you’re asking.

Could you rephrase the question?

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

CroMagnon Posted:

Except the beginning of life had nothing to do with natural selection. Like science would have you believe, it just randomly started in a pool one day.

The directions it took AFTER it began were of course dictated by natural selection.

DarkDespair5

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

Shii Posted:

I’m not sure what you’re asking.

Could you rephrase the question?

Thanks for being sane Log in to see images!

Let’s take something that can’t be taken out of context:

What was the purpose of “Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.” (I Corinthians 14:34-35) ?

Or

“For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man. Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.” (I Corinthians 11:8-9)

This clearly says women are inferior. Science says they aren’t. So on what grounds would the preceding biblical text be acceptable?

DarkDespair5

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

Shii Posted:

Except the beginning of life had nothing to do with natural selection. Like science would have you believe, it just randomly started in a pool one day.

The directions it took AFTER it began were of course dictated by natural selection.

Spontaneous generation of nucleic acids and other structures required for life have been formed in a lab under early-earth conditions.

CroMagnon

Level 16 Troll

“Inflammatory Agent ”

If the Bible is the gold brick in the American spiritual sidewalk, then you simply have to ask: What is the relevance in the fact that Christ might not have been betrayed at all? That he may have orchestrated his own arrest? What does this say about his divine wisdom? About Bible stories as a whole? More importantly, how does the new and improved Judas story pinch the bum of our collective mythology? Does it or does it not kick out one of the shaky support beams of the modern Church? Shouldn’t it?

Yay for ctrl+c

CroMagnon edited this message on 01/26/2009 1:57AM

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

Yeh, I’ll agree that those pbumages are controversial.

Only SO MUCH change is allowed at a time though, without being too much to stomach. Even though by today’s standards Paul’s teachings on the subject of women seem harsh, back in 50-100 AD it was incredibly progressive.

Not only were there female priestesses and prophets, but they were allowed in church (even if silent, no other society allowed women in the worship places, apart from shrine prostitution.) Also, even back another 1000 years before Paul, during the period of the Judges, the entire nation of Israel was saved and then ruled by a female, named Deborah, for many decades.

So while it sounds cruel and unfair, it’s a step in the right direction.

We know God intended men and women to be equal from the start because of one of the first pbumages in Genesis, right after God created the world. “So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.”

So clearly, right from the start, both man and woman were made in God’s image.

Furthermore, a few verses later, Genesis lays out the foundation for how we should treat women in relationships; not as servants, but as equals. “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.”

Man and woman are meant to be equals in marriage and in society. It just took a while for the rest of the world to catch up, thusly why the pbumages in Corinthians can be mistaken.

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

DarkDespair5 Posted:

Spontaneous generation of nucleic acids and other structures required for life have been formed in a lab under early-earth conditions.

Except structures required for life are to life what a collection of bricks are to a building. The law of entropy states that no reaction will randomly occur that requires additional energy put in. A car won’t sit and get shinier. A building won’t gradually get more stable, and a pile of bricks don’t bumemble themselves.

DarkDespair5

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

How about

“Every one that is found shall be thrust through; and every one that is joined unto them shall fall by the sword. Their children also shall be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses shall be spoiled, and their wives ravished.” (Isaiah 13:15-16)

DarkDespair5

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

Shii Posted:

Except structures required for life are to life what a collection of bricks are to a building. The law of entropy states that no reaction will randomly occur that requires additional energy put in. A car won’t sit and get shinier. A building won’t gradually get more stable, and a pile of bricks don’t bumemble themselves.

The law of entropy says that the universe as a WHOLE becomes more random. Individual components can and do become less random on occasion because that particular ordered distribution increases the randomness of the whole system.

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

CroMagnon Posted:

If the Bible is the gold brick in the American spiritual sidewalk, then you simply have to ask: What is the relevance in the fact that Christ might not have been betrayed at all? That he may have orchestrated his own arrest? What does this say about his divine wisdom? About Bible stories as a whole? More importantly, how does the new and improved Judas story pinch the bum of our collective mythology? Does it or does it not kick out one of the shaky support beams of the modern Church? Shouldn’t it?

Yay for ctrl+c

The Gospel of Judas, as claimed/found by the Discovery channel or whatever, is no more relevant to Christianity than the Apocrypha utilized by the Catholics.

Canon isn’t determined by the people present within writings. Many works include people from these times that we know, but not every one is divinely inspired. They fail the tests of canonicity.

DarkDespair5

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

“Entropy can be lowered by external action, e.g. solar heating action, and that this applies to machines, such as a refrigerator, where the entropy in the cold chamber is being reduced, to growing crystals, and to living organisms.This local increase in order is, however, only possible at the expense of an entropy increase in the surroundings; here more disorder must be created.

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

DarkDespair5 Posted:

How about

“Every one that is found shall be thrust through; and every one that is joined unto them shall fall by the sword. Their children also shall be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses shall be spoiled, and their wives ravished.” (Isaiah 13:15-16)

How about the surrounding context instead of picking at a single verse?

Don’t worry, I’ve got it.

This is a prophecy of judgement against Babylon, for refusing to repent of its sins. Back before the coming of Christ Jesus, humanity was still steeped in sin. Sin and wrongdoing could not be tolerated by a holy God. Therefore, he gave them chances to repent of their ways and turn back to Him.

Upon whence they rejected his calling, he was left with no choice but to follow through with his promised punishment.

Thankfully, we’re no longer bound by this theology of retribution, because Jesus redeemed all men and women from the powers of sin and death.

CroMagnon

Level 16 Troll

“Inflammatory Agent ”

Shii Posted:

Yeh, I’ll agree that those pbumages are controversial.

Only SO MUCH change is allowed at a time though, without being too much to stomach. Even though by today’s standards Paul’s teachings on the subject of women seem harsh, back in 50-100 AD it was incredibly progressive.

Not only were there female priestesses and prophets, but they were allowed in church (even if silent, no other society allowed women in the worship places, apart from shrine prostitution.) Also, even back another 1000 years before Paul, during the period of the Judges, the entire nation of Israel was saved and then ruled by a female, named Deborah, for many decades.

So while it sounds cruel and unfair, it’s a step in the right direction.

We know God intended men and women to be equal from the start because of one of the first pbumages in Genesis, right after God created the world. “So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.”

So clearly, right from the start, both man and woman were made in God’s image.

Furthermore, a few verses later, Genesis lays out the foundation for how we should treat women in relationships; not as servants, but as equals. “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.”

Man and woman are meant to be equals in marriage and in society. It just took a while for the rest of the world to catch up, thusly why the pbumages in Corinthians can be mistaken.

Wait, i though that chicks were one of my ribs or something, right? And your still pointing out inconsistancies. Meh. I would like to be religious, but i just dont have faith.

Shinto. There. That religion gives women their own gods, temples, and all sorts of ****.

CroMagnon edited this message on 01/26/2009 2:08AM

DarkDespair5

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

Shii Posted:

The Gospel of Judas, as claimed/found by the Discovery channel or whatever, is no more relevant to Christianity than the Apocrypha utilized by the Catholics.

Canon isn’t determined by the people present within writings. Many works include people from these times that we know, but not every one is divinely inspired. They fail the tests of canonicity.

What about the rest of his argument?

P.S. Smashing innocent children isn’t something you should do…

DarkDespair5 edited this message on 01/26/2009 2:08AM
Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!