Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Religion The benefits or harm of the concept of 'God(s)'

DarkDespair5

Avatar: 77864 Thu Jun 04 08:28:46 -0400 2009

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

There’s already a topic on the existence or lack thereof of a divine entity. However, what is its effect on the development of the world? Is it indeed the opiate of the mbumes, a useful illusion? Is it a tool to teach morality to people? Or is it the hand of destruction, preaching unreason and intolerance? Has it been positive or negative overall, and has its effect changed from the days of state religion?

ghax

Avatar: 80241 Thu Jul 02 20:10:59 -0400 2009

Level 35 Camwhore

I love 12 inch fine upstanding member of society male reproductive organs in my arse

DarkDespair5 Posted:

There’s already a topic on the existence or lack thereof of a divine entity. However, what is its effect on the development of the world? Is it indeed the opiate of the mbumes, a useful illusion? Is it a tool to teach morality to people? Or is it the hand of destruction, preaching unreason and intolerance? Has it been positive or negative overall, and has its effect changed from the days of state religion?

Organized religion is like government ; a bunch of corrupt losers and one huge useless organization

http://www.forumwarz.com/discussions/view/19525

this is the topic OP is referring to

ghax edited this message on 01/25/2009 3:37PM

CroMagnon

Level 16 Troll

“Inflammatory Agent ”

God was simply there to explain things that we could not understand. It was good, becuase it showed that we were creative people, but now that we understand most of the things that god is used to explain, then all it is doing now is holding us back. We have become uncreative, because we are told that in gods world nothing can change. That gave us stability, but now, it just stops us from having indipendant thought.

DarkDespair5

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

I agree it throws a monkey wrench on scientific research and independent thought. However, do remember that technology is neutral, it is merely a tool to be used for good or evil. Does religion have a positive effect on the actions of individuals (Charity, brotherhood concepts) or simply ingrain tradition and impede progress?

Nicco

Avatar: 24745 2011-07-31 00:34:23 -0400

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Troll

Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco

God doesn’t exist, so we can’t have any benefits from him.

/thread

DarkDespair5

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

Nicco Posted:

God doesn’t exist, so we can’t have any benefits from him.

/thread

That’s a bit dense. An illusory concept can be beneficial or harmful to the state of individuals by the ideals it promotes.

DarkDespair5

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

It would be a bit like saying that Christianity did not have some effect on the shaping of the U.S.

CroMagnon

Level 16 Troll

“Inflammatory Agent ”

Lol, The weapons of mbum destruction in Irak did not exist, and check what happened there!

Also, god curently has the largest sway in the bible belt of America. The people over there are brainwashed by evangelicals. Its insane.

Also, read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_God_Delusion

fantastic quote. “when one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.”

CroMagnon edited this message on 01/25/2009 3:51PM

DarkDespair5

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

CroMagnon Posted:

Lol, The weapons of mbum destruction in Irak did not exist, and check what happened there!

Also, god curently has the largest sway in the bible belt of America. The people over there are brainwashed by evangelicals. Its insane.

Also, read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_God_Delusion

fantastic quote. “when one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.”

I fully agree that stuff flies because of evangelicals’ holy bull****, but has religion improved, say, charitable goals? Or is it merely propaganda?

DarkDespair5

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

bump

DarkDespair5

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

bumpx

DarkDespair5

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

Triple Bump

Schiznit

Level 35 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

one word:

Israel.

Thankyou for listening

ghax

Avatar: 80241 Thu Jul 02 20:10:59 -0400 2009

Level 35 Camwhore

I love 12 inch fine upstanding member of society male reproductive organs in my arse

god is fake and the idea of god is evil

/thread

DarkDespair5

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

generichaxor Posted:

god is fake and the idea of god is evil

/thread

Newton’s law of gravity is wrong.

Yet it’s a useful approximation.

Pony Express

Avatar: 23887 Wed Feb 04 13:47:04 -0500 2009

Level 35 Camwhore

MY bum HURTS BECAUSE I SHOVED THESE HEELS UP THERE AND NOW THEY ARE STUCK

i need a bottom line here, you know?

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

I personally believe that atheism is a far more effective ‘opiate of the people,’ in that it’s comforting for many to think that their actions have no lasting consequence, nobody is looking over them and watching what they do. It’s ok to be self-reliant and self-sufficient and proud of what you’ve done.

DarkDespair5

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

Shii Posted:

I personally believe that atheism is a far more effective ‘opiate of the people,’ in that it’s comforting for many to think that their actions have no lasting consequence, nobody is looking over them and watching what they do. It’s ok to be self-reliant and self-sufficient and proud of what you’ve done.

That’s true. Living life sovereign and free from a god entitles you to a certain sense of accomplishment.

Skyman747

Avatar: 115546 2015-08-12 18:58:09 -0400

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

DIRTY ****ING fine upstanding member of society woman's genitals

CroMagnon Posted:

God was simply there to explain things that we could not understand. It was good, becuase it showed that we were creative people, but now that we understand most of the things that god is used to explain, then all it is doing now is holding us back. We have become uncreative,

QFT, although I would say “unopen” instead. The majority of Humans will not accept new ideas, as they grew up with god and they will pbum god down to their children, thus sealing us in religions. The small percentage that don’t pbum down to their children are the only ones helping the race move along.

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

While I see where they come from with the normal opiate of the mbumes view, in that there’s true morality and meaning for suffering, there’s somewhere waiting for you when you die, being good has a lasting reward, etc., I believe more that calling religion ‘a drug’ is another way of validating themselves in a world that they acknowledge has no actual meaning.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!