Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Bug - 3 Do you consider /b/OXXY a meme?

Balloon

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Camwhore

Inflate my ovaries until they pop out of me and float away

She is insanely attractive but incredibly annoying and stupid once she opens her mouth. Spend more time in school and less time on your eyeliner, you idiot.

hurpdederp

Level 32 Troll

“Permafail”

Big Brother Posted:

3 words:

SHUT

THE

UP

NOT UNTIL I SEE YOUR mammary glands MISTER MAN

hurpdederp edited this message on 01/27/2009 3:18PM

GGH

Avatar: 105218 Tue Feb 17 15:32:24 -0500 2009

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

No.

But I can see why there aren’t more fence-sitters when it comes down to boxeh.

Either you hate her as much as you can or love her just to **** haters off.

SplodeyDopy

[iBoxxy]

Level 34 Emo Kid

desperate attention whore

Balloon Posted:

She is insanely attractive but incredibly annoying and stupid once she opens her mouth. Spend more time in school and less time on your eyeliner, you idiot.

she doesn’t have to talk you know, they call it ducktape for a reason Log in to see images!

which i by the way don’t know..

Inertia

Avatar: 60995 Fri Apr 03 12:59:05 -0400 2009

[Shii is gay]

Level 35 Troll

also wow i have no male reproductive organ

She’s hot and I would do anything to her

kittiejenn

Avatar: 18080 2011-11-01 00:29:42 -0400

[Backdoor Amigos]

Level 35 Emo Kid

So damn naughty it wraps back around to nice.

Johnny Mac Posted:

Cancer, a meme, and ****able. Log in to see images!

XoxoLala Posted:

I always wondered what those crazy homeless bag ladies you see on the street were like when they were young. Now I know…

Balloon Posted:

LOL

Acid Flux

Avatar: 6767 Tue Mar 17 11:41:54 -0400 2009

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Troll

KYOUBAI IS SUPER-SERIOUS BUSINESS

How Boxxy brought the web to its knees

One girl and her quirky videos are taking over the internet. And if you’re confused, imagine what things will be like in 100 years…

The internet is a funny old place. I often wonder to myself about the things that future generations will uncover when they dig back through what we did during the early days of the web – a sort of digital archaeology – and witness a series of odd jokes and weird threads that leave them utterly baffled.

Most internet memes fall into that category – a mixture of context, insanity and peer pressure that creates a snowball that’s funny for a bit before becoming ubiquitous and tiresome. Rickrolling, anyone?

But sometimes memes go even further: they turn anonymous individuals into mini-celebrities for no discernable reason. Which is why the story of Boxxy, an unidentified young woman who went from being just another unknown YouTuber to causing civil war on one of the world’s biggest websites, is so bizarrely fascinating.

You’d be forgiven for missing this over the past few weeks, but if you’ve been surfing the darker corners of the web in recent weeks you might have come across Boxxy (videos about her have racked up millions of hits on YouTube) and wondered what the hell was going on.

A year ago a young, unnamed and heavily-eyelinered young woman who hung around on Gaia Online made a video. She went by the handle of Boxxy.

That’s it. Or at least it was for nearly 12 months.

At Christmas, the video – by then languishing in YouTube’s vaults – got posted to i-am-bored, and from there hit 4Chan, and in particular the site’s /b/ messageboard… the heartland for many memes (and definitely NSFW). Why? Nobody’s sure. Was Boxxy herself behind it? Or was she simply a vehicle for fans who liked her camgirl approach, apparent ADD and weirdly excitable behaviour?

Over the subsequent days and weeks, Boxxy became a topic of contention on 4Chan – with the site splitting into two groups; those who professed to love Boxxy and all she stood for and those who hated Boxxy and her fans. Every thread threaten to spill over into Boxxy spam or a flamewar, and hundreds of 4channers went hacking Boxxy’s YouTube account and other websites in search of her true identity. So far they don’t seem to have succeeded.

Things really came to a head, though, when Boxxy haters – sick of seeing so much about her on 4Chan – decided to launch a denial of service attack on the website itself, bringing it down for some hours as a protest.

Things haven’t stopped there, though. The YouTube channel Boxxybabee is the site’s most-subscribed to for the month; videos are still being made about how much people hate Boxxy, and her influence continues to spread inexplicably.

OK, yes, the whole story is extremely convoluted. But it’s the sort of thing that I saw in evidence at ROFLCon earlier this year: somebody who is entirely unknown can get picked up for basically doing nothing, but doing it in public.

So when our future digital archaeologists start looking back at our actions, they’ll come across Boxxy and look confused. How on earth do you relate that story in a way that makes sense in 100 years, given that it makes basically no sense right now? That’s partly what I love about the internet – and partly what makes my brain hurt.

Andy_Dextruss

Avatar: 50228 Wed Apr 08 07:39:40 -0400 2009

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 37 Troll

Orgasm changer who shoots rays through computer screens

SplodeyDopy Posted:

she doesn’t have to talk you know, they call it ducktape for a reason Log in to see images!

which i by the way don’t know..

You mean ducttape.

Inertia

[Shii is gay]

Level 35 Troll

Balloon Posted:

She is lovely imo

Sneaky27

Avatar: 70951 2010-02-06 21:28:05 -0500

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

Andy_Dextruss Posted:

You mean ducttape.

Which, oddly enough, is called gray-tape by people in the HVAC industry.

SplodeyDopy

[iBoxxy]

Level 34 Emo Kid

desperate attention whore

Sneaky27 Posted:

Which, oddly enough, is called gray-tape by people in the HVAC industry.

it can be yellow to Log in to see images!

Loleigh

Level 12 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

**** 13oxxy.Log in to see images!

Sneaky27

Avatar: 70951 2010-02-06 21:28:05 -0500

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

SplodeyDopy Posted:

it can be yellow to Log in to see images!

It can also be made of aluminum, but most people are referring to gray tape when they say ‘ducttape’. There are probably a hundred (ok, dozens of) different types of tape made specifically for ducts. Hence the different names; gray tape, hundred mile an hour tape, metal tape, etc.

Strange, to be discussing the different types of duct tape in a thread about boxxy.

AntiRules187

Avatar: 79421 Tue May 26 22:06:20 -0400 2009

[Temple of the Anth-
ropomorphic Majesty
]

Level 35 Troll

It's actually an honor to be pranked, it means someone spent real money on you. Sir.

I can’t stand boxxy. Her voice is horrible & she looks like jailbait.

MasterHaxxor

Level 25 Hacker

“Mafiaboy”

Everyone loves Boxy Brown!

Halo

Level 34 Camwhore

“Legs Wide Open”

even if you think she’s the fabulous personry of newfabulous persons made flesh, she’s still a ****ing meme. you cant just decide something isn’t a meme because you dont like it.

except milhouse, **** that prick

EDIT: annoying + rapeable = internal conflict

Halo edited this message on 03/05/2009 9:55PM

CaptainPuff

Avatar: 114767 Fri Mar 06 21:31:34 -0500 2009

[Temple of the Anth-
ropomorphic Majesty
]

Level 32 Troll

“Permafail”

No.

Also, she as hell can get off-topic. Ummm… DID YOU NOTICE MY HAIR GOT LONGER? Ummmm… I DON’T PUT ON MAKE-UP ANYMORE. YEAH. BTW I’M A ****. MMMMMM…. LOVE YOU GAIZ. Log in to see images!

Inertia

[Shii is gay]

Level 35 Troll

seriously people how can you not like Boxxy I think she is the most amazing thing on the whole of Internet!

1337P373

Level 17 Emo Kid

“Crybaby”

She’s cute and kind of funny, but I went onto /*CENSORED*/ one day and she was ****ing everywhere!!! WTF??? Still not sure if she’s actually dead. I hope not.

nashcash

[WeChall]

Level 35 Permanoob

“Kapitan Stupidska”

Definitely, she’s having an extreme case of sugar rush. lolz

nashcash edited this message on 04/02/2009 5:49PM
Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!