Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Fun New prank: Change Name

OrsonScottCa-
rd

Avatar: 104768 2015-08-05 14:57:49 -0400

[Forumwarz Speakeasy]

Level 69 Hacker

Why do I keep coming back here

Fingerz Posted:

I don’t think I stuttered. This is a bad idea. A really bad one.

Alternately, they could just delete old accounts after a year of inactivity. Log in to see images!

Deleting old accounts is a better idea than OP, but even so, the nature of the Internet is for people to stop going to a site, then go back later.

I think if you combined the deleting old accounts idea with the BP-for-protection idea, I’d be in favor of it.

CaptainDDL

Avatar: 34340 2009-09-30 16:41:31 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 63 Troll

Fran's Beautiful Lover XOXOXOXOXO

An automatic deletion policy for accounts that never leveled up (level 1 re-re) and never posted at 90 days would be awesome. For accounts that have shown even the tiniest bit of activity, though…those should definitely be left alone.

OrsonScottCa-
rd

[Forumwarz Speakeasy]

Level 69 Hacker

CaptainDDL Posted:

An automatic deletion policy for accounts that never leveled up (level 1 re-re) and never posted at 90 days would be awesome. For accounts that have shown even the tiniest bit of activity, though…those should definitely be left alone.

Brilliant. I think we’re approaching a realistic proposal.

(Edited to remove redundant use of the word “idea”.)

OrsonScottCard edited this message on 01/09/2009 11:14PM

Czarnian bum-
bumin

Avatar: 43648 Fri Dec 05 19:45:05 -0500 2008

[Bigguyinblack Fan -
Club
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

"He who devours your entrails and thoroughly enjoys it."

SimplyTHEBEST Posted:

OH LAUD, IZZAT SOME TROLLAN IN GD?

Uh, no, simply a humorous play on words. Stop trying to incite a flamewar where there is none. Even if what I said had been trolling (and, I bumure you, it most certainly was not, since I followed it up with constructive discussion), then your response still would not have been warranted. If you believe a rule has been broken, then contact a Mod. ‘Returning Fire’ isn’t any more justified than ‘Opening Fire’.

Ok, great. Now explain to me how you bribe a level 1 re-re who signed up a year ago and never actually pwned a forum.

You can’t, obviously. My specific point was, obviously, in reference to active players. See above for a decent suggestion on how to handle inactive players.

Yea, because “Longcats” and “Stacgnol” do a REALLY good job. Both players have been inactive for over 8 months, and I don’t think that anybody here would argue that they are either likely to come back. Why should they be denying those names to players who are most likely going to actually use them?

Who, exactly, is clamoring to have the screenname ‘longcat’? And why is that addition of an extra letter or number or some such a big deal? If you want to be ‘Longcat’, and it’s already taken, then simply sign in as ‘Longcat_01’ or some such. On the off chance that the ‘original’ Longcat comes back to the game, then the bribery option all of a sudden becomes viable. And if they are inactive (i.e., not posting in Flamebate or IDC) then when and how, exactly, is their name going to be an issue? Simply because you dont get to be ‘Longcat’ and have to settle for ‘Longcat_01’?

The way I see it, people are trying to nitpick at implementation specifics instead of looking at the general idea.

I see that most people are looking at the general idea, and finding it to be pointless. I haven’t seen a huge outcry amongst the FWZ mbumes that a coveted name is unavailable. This thread is the first I’ve seen or heard about it.

What if the activity cutoff was six months? What if inactivity protection was free to anybody who bought and/or used BP? There are a variety of ways to do it that wouldn’t be susceptible to abuse and would be HIGHLY unlikely to affect people who deserve their names.

So, can anybody voice objection to the general idea of making it so that people can take names from accounts that are unlikely to ever return to activity?

Yes, I can. The general idea is simply an over-reaction to a minor inconvenience at best. There was never any warning given to previous players that inactive accounts would be tampered with.

Now, I think Orson & CaptainDDL’s ideas are a good starting point.

Any account that never purchased BPs AND consists of a single character (of any clbum) that is Level 5 or less, and has been inactive for at least six months, that would be a fair candidate for deletion, but only if such a policy was made clear to all new & existing players. New Players would see a warning screen upon character creation, and Existing players would receive a warning email that their account was due for deletion.

However, any player that purchased BPs, for any reason, should be immune to any such purge.

OrsonScottCa-
rd

[Forumwarz Speakeasy]

Level 69 Hacker

Czarnian bumbumin Posted:

Any account that never purchased BPs AND consists of a single character (of any clbum) that is Level 5 or less, and has been inactive for at least six months, that would be a fair candidate for deletion, but only if such a policy was made clear to all new & existing players. New Players would see a warning screen upon character creation, and Existing players would receive a warning email that their account was due for deletion.

However, any player that purchased BPs, for any reason, should be immune to any such purge.

Mother****ing win. CZ folks, I upvote this idea.

Czarnian bum-
bumin

[Bigguyinblack Fan -
Club
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

OrsonScottCard Posted:

Mother****ing win. CZ folks, I upvote this idea.

Awesome.

SimplyTHEBEST

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

I dislike the idea of deleting accounts though, and ET likes to talk about how many accounts there are on FWZ.

I find it kinda funny that you objected to my idea, then immediately suggested a way to accomplish basically the same goal via even more draconian methods. Log in to see images!

I’ll see your delete everybody “under level 6 and more than 6 months inactive”, and raise you a delete everybody “under level 10 and more than 1 year inactive who hasn’t completed Episode 1”.

Czarnian bum-
bumin

[Bigguyinblack Fan -
Club
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I objected to your idea in general principle.

However, if it was decided such a plan was necessary, then I have an opinion and advice on how it should be implemented.

Sort of like having an opinion on military strategy and tactical combat, but not actually being an proponent of war.

If you don’t want to have the accounts deleted, then simply have them renamed to something incredibly basic, such as ‘Account_A00001’, with a note in their tubmail or startup screen explaining the situation, and giving them a free name change.

ezek

Avatar: 64391 Sat Jan 10 11:26:32 -0500 2009

[Lee Harvey Oswalds-
Orphan Powered De-
ath Machine
]

Level 69 Troll

Imperial Wizard

some fine upstanding member of society took spengebab

then i found out it was in my own klan Log in to see images!

lvl 2 **** Log in to see images!

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!