Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Fun New prank: Change Name

SimplyTHEBEST

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

A common complaint I see is “The name I wanted was taken by a level 1/2 who hasn’t played in months”, and I think there’s a blatantly obvious solution to this that nobody seems to have considered yet. Namely, let people prank others by changing their names.

Of course there are going to be problems with this. Mostly ones on the flamebate front, and from people getting confused from name switches. Naturally, I have a solution to this: Make all active players immune, and let players spend a BP to buy “Inactive name protection”.

Problems solved.

Raepdog

Avatar: 57155 2011-07-31 00:44:38 -0400

[To Your Scattered -
Raepdogs Go
]

Level 35 Camwhore

We are foe.

SimplyTHEBEST Posted:

Let people prank others by changing their names.

Horrible idea.

SimplyTHEBEST Posted:

Make all active players immune, and let players spend a BP to buy “Inactive name protection”.

Fukking saved.

Problem is if they come back they will be hella confused.

Raepdog edited this message on 01/08/2009 6:25PM

SG94

Avatar: 53266 2011-07-31 00:43:01 -0400

[SG Inc]

Level 35 Troll

The most anal, compulsive tattle tale on this site, mess with me and meet the ban axe ****

Escher, MySpace Tom, etc. Bad idea.

Big Brother

Avatar: 45759 Fri Oct 17 23:44:23 -0400 2008

Level 66 Troll

woman's genitals

That’s just about as good an idea as being able to spend BPs to permaban people.

FalCoN

Avatar: 10741 2010-01-24 16:21:30 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Camwhore

I NEVER LEFT FORUMWARZ

Your idea is bad, yet you might turn it into something cool: Instead of really changing a name, you could change somebody’s visible name temporarily for let’s say one week. The pranked player still keeps his old name though so nobody can steal it. Make it expensive, 5 BP or so.

@Big Brother: I never suggested to permaban people, but to temporarily ban people from posting on Flamebate public forums. It is lame, but money is money.

SimplyTHEBEST

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

SimplyTHEBEST Posted:

Make all active players immune, and let players spend a BP to buy “Inactive name protection”.

Problems solved.

You guys didn’t read the entire idea. Log in to see images!

Mostly, this is because we have a bunch of ****ty accounts that were never used just wasting name space on the server.

Having a temporary/display-only prank would be a fine addition, but this was just to get rid of the dead-squatter problem.

SimplyTHEBEST edited this message on 01/09/2009 12:47AM

Big Brother

Avatar: 45759 Fri Oct 17 23:44:23 -0400 2008

Level 66 Troll

woman's genitals

I actually like the idea of a prank that makes it look like you’re permabanned (You select the mod, perhaps the post, and the reason) but the ban goes away the next time you log in.

greggcarson

Level 41 Troll

“Hot Sauce in the Dick Hole”

Define active, I mean If someone was off for a week would they be at risk of losing there name? also would they sign in as there old name and would the person who possibly decided to take the name log in as there new name? Just seems like alot of hastle and extra work just to let people change names, also it could make keeping track of people on flamebate harder if names are allways changing.

All in all a bad idea.

greggcarson

Level 41 Troll

“Hot Sauce in the Dick Hole”

Big Brother Posted:

I actually like the idea of a prank that makes it look like you’re permabanned (You select the mod, perhaps the post, and the reason) but the ban goes away the next time you log in.

What if the person gets annoyed and either doesn’t log on again or the more likely idea makes an alt to **** about being banned, its just gonna mean CZ will need to buy more storage.

Also after a week of the prank existing everyone will know about it and it will no longer be scary because they will just be like “oh I have been pranked, that’s a very minor inconvenience” they will sign out and then back in.

SimplyTHEBEST

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

greggcarson Posted:

Define active, I mean If someone was off for a week would they be at risk of losing there name?

FWZ already has active/inactive status. That’s why the old system had our peens grow when PDB went away again.

greggcarson Posted:

also would they sign in as there old name and would the person who possibly decided to take the name log in as there new name?

I sign in with my email address, not my name.

greggcarson Posted:

Just seems like alot of hastle and extra work just to let people change names, also it could make keeping track of people on flamebate harder if names are allways changing.

If somebody’s active on flamebate, then their name can’t be changed permanently.

Also, the temporary name change thing wasn’t my idea, remember?

Fingerz

Avatar: 22863 2010-11-15 01:15:51 -0500

[7 VIBRATING DOLDOES]

Level 35 Emo Kid

A neverhasbeen

I’m sorry, I think this is a really bad idea. Custom titles are good enough.

CrinkzPipe

Avatar: 35643 2015-02-20 21:59:22 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 62 Emo Kid

Hi, I'm an adult whos into bumes. But not boners!

Did you even read the idea? This is for INACTIVE players so ACTIVE players can get names they want. Good idea, make it so you can’t change players names if they are banned.

Fortunato

Avatar: 72902 2010-02-03 18:45:17 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 51 Troll

ZOMBIE CANNONBALL OF GORE

Crinkz Posted:

Did you even read the idea? This is for INACTIVE players so ACTIVE players can get names they want. Good idea, make it so you can’t change players names if they are banned.

The objection stands: several of the best remembered players around (Pickled male reproductive organbum, Escher and others) are currently inactive. Making their names stealable is a little like giving people permission to scratch out headstones in a cemetary.

Fingerz

[7 VIBRATING DOLDOES]

Level 35 Emo Kid

A neverhasbeen

Fingerz Posted:

I’m sorry, I think this is a really bad idea. Custom titles are good enough.

I don’t think I stuttered. This is a bad idea. A really bad one.

Alternately, they could just delete old accounts after a year of inactivity. Log in to see images! Fingerz edited this message on 01/09/2009 2:09PM

CrinkzPipe

Avatar: 35643 2015-02-20 21:59:22 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 62 Emo Kid

Hi, I'm an adult whos into bumes. But not boners!

True about the other inactive players. How about only make it for people who are below lets say level 5?

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

I see absolutely no reason for allowing this kind of change. Your name’s taken? Too bad. Happens all the time on the internets.

Fingerz

[7 VIBRATING DOLDOES]

Level 35 Emo Kid

A neverhasbeen

MC Banhammer Posted:

I see absolutely no reason for allowing this kind of change. Your name’s taken? Too bad. Happens all the time on the internets.

That’s true- some fabulous person took my name on FLickr…grrrrrrrrrr…

SplodeyDopy

[iBoxxy]

Level 34 Emo Kid

desperate attention whore

SimplyTHEBEST Posted:

A common complaint I see is “The name I wanted was taken by a level 1/2 who hasn’t played in months”, and I think there’s a blatantly obvious solution to this that nobody seems to have considered yet. Namely, let people prank others by changing their names.

Of course there are going to be problems with this. Mostly ones on the flamebate front, and from people getting confused from name switches. Naturally, I have a solution to this: Make all active players immune, and let players spend a BP to buy “Inactive name protection”.

Problems solved.

people like you are the reason people like me become emo..

no serious.. you know how hard this would suck?

there should be like a delete function or someting…

no one is going to ask mc banhammer for a permie ban…

just a bumon! and the problems are gone =D

Czarnian bum-
bumin

Avatar: 43648 Fri Dec 05 19:45:05 -0500 2008

[Bigguyinblack Fan -
Club
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

"He who devours your entrails and thoroughly enjoys it."

SimplytheWORST idea, ever.

If you really want a specific name here, then how about bribing the current name owner with BP? If it’s important enough to you, then you’ll be willing to cough up the BPs.

And if you’re so attached to a specific internet persona name that this isn’t good enough for you… then you really need to take some time off and visit Reality 1.0

Or, just add an extra letter or number to your coveted name. Seriously.

SimplyTHEBEST

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

Czarnian bumbumin Posted:

SimplytheWORST idea, ever.

OH LAUD, IZZAT SOME TROLLAN IN GD?

If you really want a specific name here, then how about bribing the current name owner with BP? If it’s important enough to you, then you’ll be willing to cough up the BPs.

Ok, great. Now explain to me how you bribe a level 1 re-re who signed up a year ago and never actually pwned a forum.

Or, just add an extra letter or number to your coveted name. Seriously.

Yea, because “Longcats” and “Stacgnol” do a REALLY good job. Both players have been inactive for over 8 months, and I don’t think that anybody here would argue that they are either likely to come back. Why should they be denying those names to players who are most likely going to actually use them?

The way I see it, people are trying to nitpick at implementation specifics instead of looking at the general idea.

What if the activity cutoff was six months? What if inactivity protection was free to anybody who bought and/or used BP? There are a variety of ways to do it that wouldn’t be susceptible to abuse and would be HIGHLY unlikely to affect people who deserve their names.

So, can anybody voice objection to the general idea of making it so that people can take names from accounts that are unlikely to ever return to activity?

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!