Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Poll Petition To make ForumWarz Open Source

Raepdog

Avatar: 57155 2011-07-31 00:44:38 -0400

[To Your Scattered -
Raepdogs Go
]

Level 35 Camwhore

We are foe.

Evil Trout Posted:

No?

If someone opened up the same product as me for free, people would gravitate there. And I’d lose my income, and therefore my ability to continue to improve the site.

By having Evil Trout by the fiscal balls (and real balls seeing he needs to buy hookers) we force him into a life of coding servitude, always working for that next dollar. By having no competition other than his bank account, we force him to work. All. The. Time. In the end we don’t need that, ****, Evil Trout is stuck were he is.

Its a beautiful thing, he gets ramen, we get a game

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

Instead of open source, perhaps some sort of mod submission process?

The idea would be ET could write something which allows people to make, say, their own clbumes, and submit them for approval. If approved, the clbum would then be added as a BP-purchasable item for 3 BP. 2BP go to CZ, 1BP goes to the creator of the clbum.

And it would be made very clear that the clbumes are not part of the offical Forumwarz mythology, so don’t expect them to be used in Ep 3, have their items show up in the Ppwne Shoppe, etc.

Similarly for other things the OP might want to see open sourced. Missions maybe?

ChunkyLover53

Avatar: 77252 Mon Dec 22 11:59:25 -0500 2008

[LemonParty]

Level 16 Hacker

I AM A ****ING IDIOT x9001 PLEASE IGNORE ME

MC Banhammer Posted:

Instead of open source, perhaps some sort of mod submission process?

The idea would be ET could write something which allows people to make, say, their own clbumes, and submit them for approval. If approved, the clbum would then be added as a BP-purchasable item for 3 BP. 2BP go to CZ, 1BP goes to the creator of the clbum.

And it would be made very clear that the clbumes are not part of the offical Forumwarz mythology, so don’t expect them to be used in Ep 3, have their items show up in the Ppwne Shoppe, etc.

Similarly for other things the OP might want to see open sourced. Missions maybe?

I think it would be good to do anything that might give someone else besides ET the power to modify and implement new ideas into the and I think if it was done the way you just suggested MC Banhammer, than it would not only benefit the game, it would benefit the players, and it would also benefit ET.

Big Brother

Avatar: 45759 Fri Oct 17 23:44:23 -0400 2008

Level 66 Troll

woman's genitals

But what would the clbum warfare missions be?

MC Banhammer

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Big Brother Posted:

But what would the clbum warfare missions be?

MC Banhammer Posted:

Big Brother

Avatar: 45759 Fri Oct 17 23:44:23 -0400 2008

Level 66 Troll

woman's genitals

So if you make an alt that clbum you’re ****ed essentially?

KindFearless-
Leader

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

*eyes up at the few examples*

Engines aren’t games. Applications aren’t games. Creative media has largely failed in all occurances in the open source area. There are many articles lambasting the open source movement for not being able to demonstrate effective game products using that methodology. You see the same problems with User Focused design in Open Source since it is largely lead by programmers and emphasis on input checkins determining direction. It’s not a suitable development methodology for games.

MC Banhammer

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Big Brother Posted:

So if you make an alt that clbum you’re ****ed essentially?

oic. No, you’d have to get some clbum to fight in that part of the story. Not a big deal to pick one. Or, just skip that mission entirely.

Xylon

Avatar: 76994 2010-01-16 02:54:34 -0500

[Kappa Kappa Kappa]

Level 35 Hacker

Posting personal information is fun. Everyone should try it at least once.

No on open source. As it stands there are too many security holes on this site. Releasing the source now would make those holes easier to find for the community and would lead to among other things a bunch of skiddies trying to exploit them for peen.

RebDoomer

Avatar: 93795 Thu Dec 04 16:10:40 -0500 2008

Level 24 Permanoob

“Moron”

ChunkyLover53 Posted:

Allow only certain people access to the source code.

Then we would be waiting for certain people to fix and implement things. It would be the same as now, with less experienced coders.

LROSENBERG19-

[WeChall]

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

Yes so people can host their own personal forumwarzs.

1338h4x

Avatar: 22473 Sat Nov 29 21:01:08 -0500 2008

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 35 Troll

7 Vibrating Doldoes was never a meme

As a hardcore Lunix user, I gotta say that what you’re suggesting isn’t open source at all, and really would just serve to **** things up for CZ and run them out of business. Obviously open source or partially open source models can work for some games, like NetHack or Valve’s stuff. But for a browser-based MMO like this, it would be disastrous. If someone took the source and made their own Forumwarz server where everyone gets unlimited free BP, would people continue to donate to CZ?

Also, sorry to be that guy, but I can’t help pointing out security by obscurity vs. security by design regarding all the security stuff mentioned. Then again, this isn’t exactly a project that’ll attract a lot of white hats, and as stated opening the source would do more harm than good. I just needed to be a Stallman-fellating douche and point that issue out.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!