Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
FAQ Will rubbing alcohol dissolve cooking oil from an LCD polarizer?

FalconFour

Avatar: 69421 Wed Aug 12 05:13:59 -0400 2009

Level 35 Troll

Minty Fresh

As usual, a highly technical question from yours truly.

Well, a couple days ago, I turned on my camera, and saw a most ****ed-up image on the screen… the screen was there, but it was really glitchy, and I could see the locations of 3 LED bulbs lighting the back. I had no idea what was going on. I decided to take it apart today and found the LCD lightbox TOTALLY SMEARED and clogged with cooking oil. Somehow, the oil that was on the kitchen counter ended up not only inside my camera (the rest of it is clean!) but right on into the LCD. I have NO ****ING IDEA how it managed to pull that off (oil doesn’t evaporate or steam…Log in to see images!, but voila, it did.

So I pieced apart the screen and found 3 layers – two thin layers, and one thick one, each one peeled apart with a distinct oil-like appearance of the layers separating.

How the **** do I get that oil off. Well, for lack of Google knowledge, I figured alcohol dissolves anything. So I put a piece of wire between the layers to hold them apart (it’s glued, or otherwise affixed, together at one edge), put the whole lightbox in a measuring cup, and filled it up about halfway up the screen with rubbing alcohol. I was going to let it sit for a while, and slosh it around from time to time.

Anyone (tubs? lol) got any better ideas?

inb4 “lol buy a new camera” – hell, I paid 100 bucks to replace the LCD on this camera – it’s been with me through everything! Log in to see images!

Inertia

Avatar: 60995 Fri Apr 03 12:59:05 -0400 2009

[Shii is gay]

Level 35 Troll

also wow i have no male reproductive organ

usually when I have oil on my hand I use soap

try soap

FalconFour

Avatar: 69421 Wed Aug 12 05:13:59 -0400 2009

Level 35 Troll

Minty Fresh

Inertia Posted:

usually when I have oil on my hand I use soap

try soap

Didn’t have any soap… but I has sum window cleaner! Log in to see images!

Worked great. I managed to get each of the pieces apart (instead of holding it apart with wire) and was able to give each (of 5!) layers a good cleaning. Seems there’s a horizontal polarizer, vertical polarizer, diffuser, some sort of thick spreading layer (that the LEDs are stickied to), then a reflective, mirrorlike layer at the back, right above the casing. Each ****ing layer needed to be tediously cleaned and thoroughly dried (with my shirt ofc).

After tediously piecing the layers together, making sure there aren’t any damn pieces of dust or lint on them (ugh), I soldered the connector back onto the LED board, and put the screen back in the camera. Happiness joy and rapture, I have my camera back again!

I swear this camera has more lives than a cat.

Inertia

Avatar: 60995 Fri Apr 03 12:59:05 -0400 2009

[Shii is gay]

Level 35 Troll

also wow i have no male reproductive organ

FalconFour Posted:

Didn’t have any soap…

Why am I not surprised man.

body hygiene do you know it??

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!