Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Religion I am an Atheist ask me a question

Cheins Sanch-
ez

Avatar: 64305 2015-06-13 02:49:05 -0400

[The Airship]

Level 36 Troll

Rex Sacrorum

Who’s your favorite philosopher?

Phariad

Avatar: 129763 Mon Jun 15 22:35:47 -0400 2009

[Temple of the Anth-
ropomorphic Majesty
]

Level 43 Troll

“Banned Camper”

Dunatis Posted:

Isn’t atheism itself based upon faith

Well, I guess it is.

I believe that anyone who will go around with racism, bias, discrimination and et cetera, and spending countless hours and dollars (and waste their entire life not doing things which they want to), purely because they believe that if they do all of this, they can chill out with this omnipotent being in the “good” afterlife (good of course by the definition of this omnipotent being), and everyone who does not believe in him or his ways will of course go to the “bad” afterlife, which is only explained as being “bad”, is a complete idiot.

However, the simple answer is no, it’s based on rejecting faith, due to absence of fact.

Dunatis

Avatar: 78885 2011-11-01 01:20:41 -0400

[Cabal Gamez]

Level 69 Hacker

Richard Whittington

Phariad Posted:

However, the simple answer is no, it’s based on rejecting faith, due to absence of fact.

Also, WHEEEEEEE!!!

Actually I think that’s more agnosticism, either way we kinda had this discussion earlier in the thread and my point when asking the question was “isn’t saying there is not God with 100% absolute certainty (hard Atheism) relying on faith as you cannot technically disprove anything?”

man-man

Avatar: 156485 2010-01-24 16:36:14 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

Selfish fine upstanding member of society

Since last time I came across a reasonable explanation of Atheism vs. Agnosticism based on the roots of the words. Theism vs. Atheism is a question of what you believe, Gnosticism vs. Agnosticism is a question of what you claim to know.

Theist: I believe there is a god

Atheist: I do not believe there is a god (does not imply active disbelief, just a lack of belief)

Gnostic: I know for sure that my belief is true (somehow)

Agnostic: I do not know for sure that my belief is true.

So either Gnostic position (Theist or Atheist) would be to some degree faith based, but in practice you’ll find that most hard atheists are taking that position on the basis of lack of evidence – in the same way as we all say we ‘know’ that there are no unicorns, the hard atheist says he ‘knows’ there is no god.

Then you’re into the question of what it means to ‘know’ something – what standard is required for something to be called knowledge, how we ascertain what is true, and that’s a can of worms and a half. Take the strictest possible view of knowledge and you’ve got Cartesian doubt, which unless you follow Descartes twisted logic (I don’t) leaves you with no knowledge beyond your own mind (possibly not even that). There are other standards of knowledge, a “justified, true belief” being one. Doesn’t help much, just shifts the question onto whether or not it’s true, which is what we were questioning in the first place.

man-man edited this message on 06/15/2009 3:10AM

Dunatis

Avatar: 78885 2011-11-01 01:20:41 -0400

[Cabal Gamez]

Level 69 Hacker

Richard Whittington

Hence why I said earlier that the largely irrelevant debate between those becomes a semantics argument drizzled in epistemology Log in to see images!

Ardent

Level 69 Emo Kid

“The Infinite Sadness”

man-man Posted:

Since last time I came across a reasonable explanation of Atheism vs. Agnosticism based on the roots of the words. Theism vs. Atheism is a question of what you believe, Gnosticism vs. Agnosticism is a question of what you claim to know.

Theist: I believe there is a god

Atheist: I do not believe there is a god (does not imply active disbelief, just a lack of belief)

Gnostic: I know for sure that my belief is true (somehow)

Agnostic: I do not know for sure that my belief is true.

So either Gnostic position (Theist or Atheist) would be to some degree faith based, but in practice you’ll find that most hard atheists are taking that position on the basis of lack of evidence – in the same way as we all say we ‘know’ that there are no unicorns, the hard atheist says he ‘knows’ there is no god.

Then you’re into the question of what it means to ‘know’ something – what standard is required for something to be called knowledge, how we ascertain what is true, and that’s a can of worms and a half. Take the strictest possible view of knowledge and you’ve got Cartesian doubt, which unless you follow Descartes twisted logic (I don’t) leaves you with no knowledge beyond your own mind (possibly not even that). There are other standards of knowledge, a “justified, true belief” being one. Doesn’t help much, just shifts the question onto whether or not it’s true, which is what we were questioning in the first place.

Ahahaha quoting Richard Dawkins is fun, isn’t it? I read ‘The God Delusion’ too. didn’t think much of it though…

man-man

Avatar: 156485 2010-01-24 16:36:14 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

Selfish fine upstanding member of society

Dunatis Posted:

Hence why I said earlier that the largely irrelevant debate between those becomes a semantics argument drizzled in epistemology Log in to see images!

Well I like making you say things twice. It gets me off.

teh Ardent bumhedz Posted:

Ahahaha quoting Richard Dawkins is fun, isn’t it? I read ‘The God Delusion’ too. didn’t think much of it though…

I quoted Dawkins?

I mean aside from that one time when I specifically said “to quote Dawkins”. Which wasn’t in the thing you quoted…

Inertia

Avatar: 60995 Fri Apr 03 12:59:05 -0400 2009

[Shii is gay]

Level 35 Troll

also wow i have no male reproductive organ

Cheins Sanchez Posted:

Who’s your favorite philosopher?

Bertrand Russel

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!