Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Poll Where do you want to learn about Forumwarz website updates?
Poll: Where you do prefer to get notices about website updates and enhancements?
You must be logged in to vote.

BINGEBOT 2015

Avatar: 38 2010-12-05 22:39:25 -0500

Level 12 Troll

I AM A GIANT FART FACE

We have been doing fairly regular updates to the site, and we’re curious where is the best place to announce/list the updates..

Do you only read Flamebate, the Blog, Twitter, Facebook..? Do you read a few of them? What is your primary source (and preferred source) of information?

I suppose this is also a good idea to give people direction to our various means of communication. Links can often be found at the bottom of the site too Log in to see images!

Flamebate (do I really need to add this link??): http://www.forumwarz.com/discussions

Blog: http://blog.forumwarz.com

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/forumwarz

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/inbox/#/pages/Forumwarz/9690286340?ref=ts

BINGEBOT 2015 edited this message on 12/11/2008 11:33AM

DesdiPhoenix

Avatar: 75442 Wed Nov 12 18:57:30 -0500 2008

[T3H L33T HACK3RZ]

Level 35 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

Woo first vote.

Yeah, flamebate all the way.

CrinkzPipe

Avatar: 35643 2015-02-20 21:59:22 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 62 Emo Kid

Hi, I'm an adult whos into bumes. But not boners!

7. Any and all ways you can, I don’t read one source consistently.

I read the Twitter, Blog, and Flamebate. If you bookmark the blog it’s only a click away for two update places.

Are-

Avatar: 90963 Mon Dec 15 03:10:56 -0500 2008

[Giveupalready]

Level 35 Hacker

The Biscuit Kid is my GOD, and I'm a piece of ****!

Black Boxes.

Though, Black Boxes that link to a flamebate post would be better.

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

Crinkz Posted:

If you bookmark the blog it’s only a click away for two update places.

There’s also a link to the blog at the bottom of every site page. That’s a scroll/click.

CrinkzPipe

Avatar: 35643 2015-02-20 21:59:22 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 62 Emo Kid

Hi, I'm an adult whos into bumes. But not boners!

MC Banhammer Posted:

There’s also a link to the blog at the bottom of every site page. That’s a scroll/click.

Never noticed that before.

Shinobu

Avatar: 67073 Sat Nov 01 14:39:53 -0400 2008

[team awesome face]

Level 30 Troll

“Permafail”

post count +1

also whiny ****es in flamebate Log in to see images!

MC Banhammer

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

All of you voting for the black box — you do realize that we don’t have an option to get rid of those, right? That they’d have to be timed to go away, so site update history would be lost if that’s the only way?

And do you really want these entries pushing your character information down the screen?

King Krimson

[Snobby McSnobbers-
ons
]

Level 69 Troll

A lot fo kewl boiz wer it ok!

Black boxes that lead to a blog post would be preferable for big news. Seeing as the boxes go away, having the blog for reference would still be the best solution, but being notified by box would be cool

King Krimson edited this message on 12/10/2008 12:19PM

FalCoN

Avatar: 10741 2010-01-24 16:21:30 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Camwhore

I NEVER LEFT FORUMWARZ

Both Flamebate and blog. And maybe the black box for very important updates – updates that really influence the gameplay, e.g. if forums became significantly harder. But mostly Flamebate and blog.

SimplyTHEBEST

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

Black box for updates that significantly affect gameplay, since people who just play the game won’t visit the blog, twitter, or flamebate.

Blog for general announcements and ‘behind the scenes’ stuff, or anything that requires more than one or two lines to describe.

Twitter for minor changes, status updates, and other quick blurbs.

Flamebate for things that require user feedback, like this thread.

That’s basically the way things are now, it just needs to be codified as procedure.

The reasons for this is simple:

The black box is invasive, annoying, and as near as I can tell impossible to hide or remove. That makes it perfect for it’s job, as it should only be used for short messages that people NEED to see. It’s the “You are going to ****ing pay attention to me” way of telling players things.

The blog is like a dumptruck; you can load so much **** into it that it just feels wrong to post in it for tiny chucks of text. Also, smaller messages clutter things up while pushing the larger posts off the page.

Twitter is ideal for having lots of short messages, so anything that doesn’t warrant a flood of text (Hi!) can be easily handled there.

Flamebate lets users respond without having to make/login-to a different account on a different service; if they play forumwarz, they can just go into the thread and contribute. That makes it perfect for getting feedback from the community (Moreso for ideas and suggestions than sample data – threads skew early and often if you’re trying to get facts out of them)

BINGEBOT 2015

Avatar: 38 2010-12-05 22:39:25 -0500

Level 12 Troll

I AM A GIANT FART FACE

SimplyTHEBEST Posted:

Black box for updates that significantly affect gameplay, since people who just play the game won’t visit the blog, twitter, or flamebate.

Blog for general announcements and ‘behind the scenes’ stuff, or anything that requires more than one or two lines to describe.

Twitter for minor changes, status updates, and other quick blurbs.

Flamebate for things that require user feedback, like this thread.

That’s basically the way things are now, it just needs to be codified as procedure.

The reasons for this is simple:

The black box is invasive, annoying, and as near as I can tell impossible to hide or remove. That makes it perfect for it’s job, as it should only be used for short messages that people NEED to see. It’s the “You are going to ****ing pay attention to me” way of telling players things.

The blog is like a dumptruck; you can load so much **** into it that it just feels wrong to post in it for tiny chucks of text. Also, smaller messages clutter things up while pushing the larger posts off the page.

Twitter is ideal for having lots of short messages, so anything that doesn’t warrant a flood of text (Hi!) can be easily handled there.

Flamebate lets users respond without having to make/login-to a different account on a different service; if they play forumwarz, they can just go into the thread and contribute. That makes it perfect for getting feedback from the community (Moreso for ideas and suggestions than sample data – threads skew early and often if you’re trying to get facts out of them)

I couldn’t have said it better myself. I just wasn’t sure if this opinion was shared with the mbumes Log in to see images!

Guy Snortoco-
cci

Avatar: 83064 2015-09-19 20:51:48 -0400

[male reproductive organs 69 News]

Level 30 Re-Re

Tune in to male reproductive organs 69!

I don’t suppose there’s a more efficient way to put public messages on the homepage besides the dreaded black boxes? Either way I agree front-page alerts should only be for important things, like ‘The site is going down’ or ‘Your hacker doesn’t attack for **** now’.

TUBSWEETIE

Avatar: 3450 2011-07-31 00:45:06 -0400

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 37 Troll

MY MEMORY IS THAT OF A SMALL GRAPE

There aren’t links to the blog within flamebate when I have IDC open.

The whole line of links goes away actually.

If the links were there I’d be more likely to check the blog frequently as I like the blog and twitter updates.

scully

Avatar: 12797 2015-07-20 16:59:13 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

I’m in the habit of checking Flambebate, blog and twitter.

Black bar for serious updates. Blog as a formal record of things and twitter/flamebate as you go. A site based link to the twitter page might be nice, since you seem to announce changes there first.

meeeeeeeeee

Avatar: 15443 2010-04-04 18:27:25 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Troll

Sneakily vicious and filled with virtuous pit bulls.

For me, the answer is, none of the above are quite adequate.

I don’t want to have to search in multiple of these locations for major, minor or trivial updates, especially ones which are time sensitive (alot of them, for different reasons) I’d much prefer to see them all in the same place, and I want that to be immediately accessible whenever I log in. As a small example of the problems – playing dom against players who weren’t aware of the changes to the ties rule was frustrating, both for me when I was offering players ties, and later for those who realised they’d just shot themselves in the foot. So really, I want other players who are considerably lazier than myself to have a fair chance of seeing these changes as well.

Have a look at the way Kingdom of Loathing does announcements. They put some thought into it and it works well, both as a means of disseminating information, and keeping the community energised about the game. The latter is the reason why you shouldn’t be hiding game enhancement announcements in blogs, twitters and flamebate (with multiple forums to check since announcements may be relevant to one but not another, e.g. domination, forumbuildr, the core game)

Something should be on the character page, which players will see if they’re active, but it should be an integral part, and not quite so intrusive as the black bar at the top e.g. a list of major and minor updates in the sidebar, leading to something more comprehensive in a dedicated forum. Such a forum may mirror the blog and/or twitter combined but it needs to be an integral part of the site. Or reuse the tutorial style prompts for game update information, so players can just click the x after having read them.

meeeeeeeeee edited this message on 12/10/2008 4:35PM

Inertia

Avatar: 60995 Fri Apr 03 12:59:05 -0400 2009

[Shii is gay]

Level 35 Troll

also wow i have no male reproductive organ

Black boxes are cool, because you almost certainly will not miss it. This is best

MC Banhammer

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

meeeeeeeeee Posted:

Or reuse the tutorial style prompts for game update information, so players can just click the x after having read them.

You mean the hints? I’d be down with that.

BirdReynods

Avatar: 41906 Mon Dec 08 21:36:48 -0500 2008

Level 35 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

MC Banhammer Posted:

You mean the hints? I’d be down with that.

Me too… The black boxes is ****-annoying, but the hints are fine, since once you’ve read them, they can be removed and recovered later in case of “SS or never happened” issues.

Aldo_Anything

Avatar: 32555 2014-07-18 11:39:53 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

male reproductive organMEISTER

the black box is cool and you can make sure, everybody reads it. I also read the blog, where I get the twitter news.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!