Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Pr0n YO TUBS, I need your halp again.

FalconFour

Avatar: 69421 Wed Aug 12 05:13:59 -0400 2009

Level 35 Troll

Minty Fresh

Geek pron.

Well, like I mentioned, the MOSFET replacement **** didn’t go over so well. It didn’t do **** to fix the built-in inverter.

So after a bit of figuring, I came up with another solution. The control PCB puts out a signal voltage to switch on the backlight, so it just took a little searching to figure out which pin. Figured that out with a little searching, and found it was 5v on, straight down to 0v off. No need for a pull-down resistor, guess they already planned for that.

I happened to have a MOSFET or two, three, four, laying around, from various failed repair projects. I put one to use switching my case light inverter on and off! You know, that thing that I wired in and switched on/off by crossing wires? Well, I figured the MOSFET could be used.

I wired it right up and it worked right off the bat. The monitor actually switched the backlight on and off like a real monitor, omg!

Well, then came the bad part. The MOSFET was getting a lot hotter than it did during “bench testing” (wired the gate to a pushbumon that was wired to the 12vdc it was switching). It was pretty darn hot. I also found, curiously, that if I tapped on the gate contact with my finger, the screen flickered all the way between off and on (and all brightnesses in between, depending on how light or hard I pushed). Hm.

I found on the datasheet for that MOSFET that the gate voltage being around 4-5v produces pretty much bup**** for current transfer. Well, there’s my ****ing problem. I need to get that 4-5v up to 12v.

So, now, question. I need to get that 5v (4.60v actually) gate voltage up to 12v somehow. I have 4 MOSFETs at my disposal (three significantly more “beefier” than the one I put in – I found those later while looking for one that perhaps wanted a 5v gate level), is it possible, perhaps, to ghetto-rig an intermediate switching level – supply one chip with 12v, gate it with the 5v signal, then signal (gate) the main driver chip with the drain of the “signaling” chip? Come to think of it, that wouldn’t work… far as I understand, those chips work with negatives, and it’s “gated” with a positive voltage. *facepalm*

Perhaps a transistor? I don’t exactly understand the purpose of a transistor, so… *shrug*

edit:

Inertia

Avatar: 60995 Fri Apr 03 12:59:05 -0400 2009

[Shii is gay]

Level 35 Troll

also wow i have no male reproductive organ

FalconFour Posted:

12vd

Oh my god Log in to see images!

Inertia

Avatar: 60995 Fri Apr 03 12:59:05 -0400 2009

[Shii is gay]

Level 35 Troll

also wow i have no male reproductive organ

May I ask what the hell that is (and wtf are you doing)?

It looks like a whiteboard eraser.

TUBSWEETIE

Avatar: 3450 2011-07-31 00:45:06 -0400

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 37 Troll

MY MEMORY IS THAT OF A SMALL GRAPE

Falconfour i have no idea on this one. the actual workings of MOSFETS and transformers are above my knowledge.

A transistor can probably do it, but I dunno how to wire it or what transistor to get.

Voltage changing is something I really want to learn but haven’t.

Sorry!

FalconFour

Level 35 Troll

Minty Fresh

Fuuuuuuuuuuck.

... ing hell …

Damnit. I really want to make this work… Log in to see images!

FalconFour

Level 35 Troll

Minty Fresh

Sounds like a transistor can do the job; the voltages have a common ground (the case), so evidently a transistor would work perfect.

I’ve just got to find the information about how the hell these transistors work… and what kind they are… Log in to see images!

FalconFour

Level 35 Troll

Minty Fresh

Ugh! An NPN transistor is only giving me back 5 volts when I “base” it with 5 volts… even though I provide it with 12 volts (I’m using a 5/12v power supply for testing). So that idea’s basically out the door.

I seem to have found a workable hack though… very hackish, but it seems to work…

Double up MOSFETs Log in to see images!

It works! And they don’t even get warm Log in to see images!

TUBSWEETIE

Avatar: 3450 2011-07-31 00:45:06 -0400

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 37 Troll

MY MEMORY IS THAT OF A SMALL GRAPE

groovy man

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!