Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Gay Deleting inactive users?

Possibly a C-
abbage

Avatar: 76887 Fri Oct 24 03:39:44 -0400 2008

[Leafy Green Vegeta-
bles
]

Level 35 Hacker

Herbaceous, biennial, dicotyledonous , and flowering.

Eventually an inactivity policy is going to make sense. Four years from now, do we really want to be wasting server space for people who signed up for accounts, played one day, and never came back? I mean, is somebody who played for one day and hasn’t played any for the last two years (yes I realize the game isn’t that old now, but it will be eventually), actually going to lose anything?

I’d think a 1 year of inactivity deletion policy, which exempts all accounts of anybody who has ever had BP, would be reasonable.

1338h4x

Avatar: 22473 Sat Nov 29 21:01:08 -0500 2008

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 35 Troll

7 Vibrating Doldoes was never a meme

I’d say 6 months of inactivity – which exempts anybody who hit level 2. I’m really just talking about level 1 re-res with 0 cred here – occupying a name I’ve used on other sites and would make a good gimmick rp alt here and blah blah whine complain…

CrinkzPipe

Avatar: 35643 2015-02-20 21:59:22 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 62 Emo Kid

Hi, I'm an adult whos into bumes. But not boners!

I say prune accounts like this every couple years.

Possibly a C-
abbage

Avatar: 76887 Fri Oct 24 03:39:44 -0400 2008

[Leafy Green Vegeta-
bles
]

Level 35 Hacker

Herbaceous, biennial, dicotyledonous , and flowering.

I don’t really care about people’s inactive alts taking up names that other people would like. I’m really just concerned about accounts that will never be played again taking up rows in the database. Aggressive DB shepherding as the game grows is important for keeping lag in check without throwing tons and tons of money at hardware.

As the game grows, at some point we’ll be in a position where the “number of people who have played the game in the past, but are now inactive” will dwarf the “number of people who are actively playing the game”. At or before that point, some kind of pruning will be reasonable.

Plus, since eventually some sort of pruning inactive account policy will seem like some combination of necessary/useful, it’s probably better to implement something like this while the game is young and small. Personally I would suggest on February 7, 2009 implementing a policy that if you are inactive for the period of 1 year and neither you nor your (legal) alts have ever owned a BP, your account will be deleted.

Possibly a Cabbage edited this message on 01/18/2009 7:50PM

Auser

Avatar: 89481 Thu Feb 26 14:58:28 -0500 2009

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Troll

Just south of sanity

I wouldn’t want an inactivity policy. People have lives. I mean I’m moving to Australia next year so it could be a while before I get settled enough to play regularly again. Tubs had the best idea imo, 5BP for a slight name change and whatever else he said Log in to see images!

SimplyTHEBEST

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

Auser Posted:

I wouldn’t want an inactivity policy. People have lives. I mean I’m moving to Australia next year so it could be a while before I get settled enough to play regularly again. Tubs had the best idea imo, 5BP for a slight name change and whatever else he said Log in to see images!

Except that the Log in to see images! next to your name means you donated for BP, which means you HAD BP, which means you’d be exempt anyway.

How about some clearly defined rules?

The account in question:

*Has or has had BP at some point.

*Has completed Episode 1.

*Has been active within the past 12 months.

*Is level 10 or higher.

If ANY of these statements are true, the account will not be purged.

When an account fails to meet ANY of these criteria, it will be destroyed in the following purge cycle.

Alternatively, rather than deleting the account it could instead be moved from the live database into a cold storage database where it will sit until somebody emails or TMs ET asking for it back. That gives the performance benefits of purging the users without actually having to delete anything.

Auser

Avatar: 89481 Thu Feb 26 14:58:28 -0500 2009

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Troll

Just south of sanity

SimplyTHEBEST Posted:

Except that the Log in to see images! next to your name means you donated for BP, which means you HAD BP, which means you’d be exempt anyway.

How about some clearly defined rules?

The account in question:

*Has or has had BP at some point.

*Has completed Episode 1.

*Has been active within the past 12 months.

*Is level 10 or higher.

If ANY of these statements are true, the account will not be purged.

When an account fails to meet ANY of these criteria, it will be destroyed in the following purge cycle.

Alternatively, rather than deleting the account it could instead be moved from the live database into a cold storage database where it will sit until somebody emails or TMs ET asking for it back. That gives the performance benefits of purging the users without actually having to delete anything.

I like these suggestions have a sweetie Log in to see images!

Snickkers

Avatar: 91933 Tue Jan 20 01:33:39 -0500 2009

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

I vote yes but only for 0 cred re-res.

SimplyTHEBEST

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

You get 7 cred for completing the tutorial, and that doesn’t even cost a forum visit.

meeeeeeeeee

Avatar: 15443 2010-04-04 18:27:25 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Troll

Sneakily vicious and filled with virtuous pit bulls.

SimplyTHEBEST Posted:

You get 7 cred for completing the tutorial, and that doesn’t even cost a forum visit.

It did for me just recently.

You can also no longer select further threads, so it’s not possible to complete Denture Chat from the tutorial any more.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!