Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Religion God doesn't exist you fools.

Pavilion

Avatar: 74903 2011-07-31 00:19:12 -0400

[Forumwarz Speakeasy]

Level 69 Hacker

“Trojan Horse Magnum”

OverclockedJesus Posted:

Yet that’s still a rationalization. Faith is the ultimate rationalization of belief which has no basis.

And so you object due to lack of basis? Since they can claim faith anytime, wouldn’t the burden of proof lie upon the objectors instead of the believers?

Indiana Jonas

Avatar: 13850 2014-12-19 09:36:26 -0500

[At Least I Never M-
ade A Failure Of A-
Website
]

Level 35 Troll

WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WW

inb4 strawman.

Indiana Jonas

[At Least I Never M-
ade A Failure Of A-
Website
]

Level 35 Troll

WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WW

Pavilion Posted:

And so you object due to lack of basis? Since they can claim faith anytime, wouldn’t the burden of proof lie upon the objectors instead of the believers?

Not necessarily. It’s really a conflict of what’s “acceptable” or not. Where people who adhere strictly to what they were taught in philosophy 101 will cry “fallacy!”, people who have a faith will shrug. The two sides on this particular issue can’t possibly see eye to eye, and debate in this manner is pointless.

No, what we’re trying to debate here is the claim that God 100% doesn’t exist, which is exactly the same as trying to argue that God does exist, only from the other side. Whats even more ridiculous is OverclockedJesus is trying to do it within a logical framework. It’s really been very amusing to watch him dodge for 5 straight pages now, but actually looking at his argument is even better.

To summarize, saying that the notion of “God” is impossible because its very definition contradicts itself begs the question of knowing the exact definition of “God”. I’ve already demonstrated how the square circle analogy fails in this respect. Furthermore, saying that God’s definition contradicts itself completely destroys his theological noncognitive argument. Saying God’s definition is both self-contradictory and too vague to bear any meaning is, well, also devoid of any meaning.

This is why I’ve been asking, for 4 pages now, for clarification. If you want to cry and call my attempts to get you to talk “childish” and “immature” that’s your prerogative Oj. I’m sure you know that I’m the only one attempting to hold a conversation, and you’re just barrel rolling in hopes that you can still somehow cling to your bull**** long enough for people to leave.

OverclockedJ-
esus

Avatar: 16071 2010-02-06 15:55:38 -0500

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

Pavilion Posted:

And so you object due to lack of basis?

No. They can have all the faith they want. Point is: it’s just wishful thinking.

Indiana Jonas

[At Least I Never M-
ade A Failure Of A-
Website
]

Level 35 Troll

OverclockedJesus Posted:

No. They can have all the faith they want. Point is: it’s just wishful thinking.

You seem to want to end this wishful thinking, but after 5 pages of “please end my wishful thinking” you still refuse to share. Log in to see images!

Pavilion

[Forumwarz Speakeasy]

Level 69 Hacker

“Trojan Horse Magnum”

OverclockedJesus Posted:

So, that’s your reasoning to objection?

DarkDespair5

Avatar: 77864 Thu Jun 04 08:28:46 -0400 2009

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

Faith in a particular God is belief in the impossible by definition.

I’m not extending the claim to the possibility of [b]any[god], but any particular version has about 1/infinty chance of being correct, i.e., zero.

DarkDespair5 edited this message on 12/16/2008 11:23PM

OverclockedJ-
esus

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

Pavilion Posted:

So, that’s your reasoning to objection?

No, that’s simply the nature of faith: wishful thinking.

Pavilion

[Forumwarz Speakeasy]

Level 69 Hacker

“Trojan Horse Magnum”

DarkDespair5 Posted:

Faith in a particular God is belief in the impossible.

Would you mind listing what makes it impossible?

OverclockedJ-
esus

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

Pavilion Posted:

*refers Pavilion to all the previous pages of this thread and the other recent god thread*

DarkDespair5

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

Pavilion Posted:

Yeah, sure.

Infinity versions of God.

The chance one is right is 1/infinity, which equals zero.

Therefore, the chance a particular God is right is zero.

How is a creation myth different from any fiction novel?.

DarkDespair5 edited this message on 12/16/2008 11:31PM

Indiana Jonas

[At Least I Never M-
ade A Failure Of A-
Website
]

Level 35 Troll

OverclockedJesus Posted:

No, that’s simply the nature of faith: wishful thinking.

as is your belief that you can logic away the possibility of any God. Why you won’t open your eyes and see this I’ll never know.

Pavilion

[Forumwarz Speakeasy]

Level 69 Hacker

“Trojan Horse Magnum”

DarkDespair5 Posted:

Yeah, sure.

Infinity versions of God.

The chance one is right is 1/infinity, which equals zero.

Therefore, the chance a particular God is right is zero.

How is a creation myth different from any fiction novel?.

Where’d this infinity come from? This is the first I’ve heard of it.

Funny how all myths speak of a creation and there’s the discovery of the Big Bang?

OverclockedJesus Posted:

*refers Pavilion to all the previous pages of this thread and the other recent god thread*

MY EYES

Prayer – proved that prayer does not make an affect, not God’s existence

“fail to detect … because God must remain hidden.” – maybe technology isn’t advanced enough or there is no scientific way to (dis)prove?

copypasta from www.godisimaginary – damned Evangelicals

“god is nothing more than a social construct set up by the government” – I call conspiracy bull

brb, still reading

Pavilion edited this message on 12/16/2008 11:40PM

DarkDespair5

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

Infinity because that is how many creation myths can be spawned by the human mind. On the basis of zero evidence, these are nothing more than fictional legends. If you randomly come up with your own version of how existence came to be, would that be any more accurate than any novel?

Why do many myths embody a God in a humanlike form? It’s an example of psychological masturbation, to put it bluntly. It is a clear indication that these are merely creative works, not some sort of revelation.

DarkDespair5 edited this message on 12/16/2008 11:44PM

Indiana Jonas

[At Least I Never M-
ade A Failure Of A-
Website
]

Level 35 Troll

DarkDespair5 Posted:

Infinity because that is how many creation myths can be spawned by the human mind. On the basis of zero evidence, these are nothing more than fictional legends. If you randomly come up with your own version of how existence came to be, would that be any more accurate than any novel?

This is why belief in a particular God is purely faith, but the existence of any God is unknowable.

ReverandJ

Level 20 Troll

“Li'l Hellraiser”

So God doesn’t want to be detected but had a book written about him…he kinda blows golden calf with this whole “man behind the curtain” routine.

OverclockedJ-
esus

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

Pavilion Posted:

Funny how all myths speak of a creation and there’s the discovery of the Big Bang?

Big bang != creation

Big bang = state-change

Pavilion

[Forumwarz Speakeasy]

Level 69 Hacker

“Trojan Horse Magnum”

OverclockedJesus Posted:

Big bang != creation

Big bang = state-change

So, what cirgreat timesstances would have led to the occurrence of the Big Bang? Wouldn’t it technically be called a creation, because gas can condensate into a liquid and still “create” water?

DarkDespair5 Posted:

Why do many myths embody a God in a humanlike form? It’s an example of psychological masturbation, to put it bluntly. It is a clear indication that these are merely creative works, not some sort of revelation.

It isn’t from complete randomization; one had to have observed something to form a basis, no matter how crude. For instance, the Greeks needed to have witnessed the sun rising and falling to come up with the god Phaethon, who pulled the sun across the sky with his chariot.

A humanlike form gives a sense of connection with mankind, allowing for easier visualization. If it was given an animal form, it’d be contradictory since animals were long considered lower than humans and if not given a form at all, no one would be able to relate themselves towards that deity.

DarkDespair5

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

Not complete randomization, but fiction nonetheless.

Did the Greeks pull the chariot idea out of their bum? Couldn’t it be N number of different things?

The possibilities are still, indeed, infinite.

P.S. http://www.forumwarz.com/discussions/view/20502

That’s not very nice!

DarkDespair5 edited this message on 12/17/2008 12:07AM

OverclockedJ-
esus

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

Pavilion Posted:

So, what cirgreat timesstances would have led to the occurrence of the Big Bang?

No one knows. There wasn’t anything we could actually call “time” at that point. It was an immeasurable condition which could be in any configuration. And no, gas condensing into a liquid does not create water; it’s a state-change.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!