Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Bug - 3 Fix Hackers

SimplyTHEBEST

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

admiralcervixtor Posted:

Awesome, my streak was at 65 and I just died at Great Firewall even though I had tons of consumables. My favorite part is how my Level 35 Troll with 103 attack does like 1700 with Recipe for Disaster, and this account that has 123 attack hits for like 400 with ipz. That’s just so cool.

Your Troll does about 1773 damage with Recipe, and your hacker SHOULD be doing 2082-2186 damage with ipz. The only attack that should be doing about 400 would be scrmbl, which should have a damage range of about 362-413. If ipz is ACTUALLY doing only that much damage, then post screenshots of both your stats and the damage for the attack in question, and we can get to the bottom of this – I doubt ET would put in clbum-specific offense damage modifiers, so if this is true then you’re almost certainly suffering from a bug.

Lord Shplane

Avatar: 49819 Fri Dec 05 01:45:00 -0500 2008

[Forumwarz Speakeasy]

Level 69 Troll

:)

Captain Trek Posted:

One thing’s for sure, our best attacks are now far, far too weak to warrent to perposterous amounts of proc. power they now cost to use…

I personally fail to see the balance in the clbum that is supposed to focus on defence’s best attack being 1 refresh and having an attack of 350, while our best attack has a refresh of 6 and an attack of 200-210… That… doesn’t… make… sense…

Yea, hackers are pretty weak now… Log in to see images!

‘dis gai rite heer

SimplyTHEBEST

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

Lord Shplane Posted:

’dis gai rite heer

He’s right on the facts, but wrong in his analysis. The problem isn’t that hackers are weak, but that trolls are overpowered. This is a known problem, and ET has already said he plans to cut their damage back by about 30% or so.

Possibly a C-
abbage

Avatar: 76887 Fri Oct 24 03:39:44 -0400 2008

[Leafy Green Vegeta-
bles
]

Level 35 Hacker

Herbaceous, biennial, dicotyledonous , and flowering.

Zeta Posted:

Hackers can do… oh wait, they can’t do anything.

Exactly the problem. Average damage may be high enough for the clbum to be playable, but the clbum isn’t interesting compared to other clbumes. What do hackers do in combat? They attack and sometimes they heal themselves. Now this is probably what other clbumes do in combat, but Hackers do this because it is the only thing that they can do.

There’s nothing interesting about Hacker skill builds, since you only have free pbumives and and the one skill tree. Trolls have three skill trees (two for attacks, one for buffs), Camwhores have three (two for attacks, one for healing), Emos have three skill trees (two for attacks, one that consists of only one skill but it’s a really interesting skill). A lot of the skills in the trees for other clbumes may not be very good, but it at least encourages strategic respeccing (e.g. when Trolls get the good Evil attacks, they can use haxl to take the points out of TXT attacks and spend them on something else.) For Hackers, it’s really just “buy all the vandalism hax” (except maybe avtr, since it’s proc cost is huge), and then allocate the rest of your points to your stats however you like.

Would it be ridiculous to develop two attacking trees and one “other” tree for Hackers? If I had my druthers and could wave a magic wand to make neat things happen in this game, I would do the following:

Hackers get one tree for normal, comparatively high powered attacks (just normal hacker attacks like we have now).

Hackers get one tree for low-powered attacks that do damage over time (i.e. they “poison” forums with their hax).

Hackers get one tree that temporarily debuffs threads, reducing their statistics in ways like “thread takes more damage”, “thread does less damage”, “thread hits less frequently” etc.

The first skill tree would be things like ipz since posting somebody’s IP is really only going to **** them off the once. The second skill tree would be things like avtr and bg since if you mess with people’s avatars or the forum background, that’s going to **** people off until whatever vandalism you engaged in is fixed by the forum admins (represented by the damage over time lasting a limited number of turns, it could even reduce gradually until it expires because people are eventually going to get used to the new “My Little Pony” background). The third tree could represent things like DDOS attacks that gimp forums by making it harder for other people to post and similar hackery.

If the current attack power or the hardware hackers get would need to be nerfed in order to make this a reality in a way that hackers aren’t woefully overpowered, I would welcome that. It would just be neat if there was something about Hackers that made them interesting beyond “their secondary stat is a major liability” and “they can equip a lot of good equipment.” If my druthers, above, were had, I wouldn’t mind in the least if Hackers were the least powerful of the four core clbumes, they would at least be significantly more interesting to play than they are now.

Similarly, I would like it if the non-attacking abilities of other clbumes were fleshed out a little bit. IMO, the way to make combat with forums more fun is not to make forums harder by increasing their damage, pwnage, or whatever it’s to make it so there are more different things that you want to do or be able to do in combat than you can reasonably manage. So there are choices involved that are not “alternate the most powerful attacks, heal periodically”.

It used to be that Hackers were an appealing clbum since they could do ye gods ridiculous damage and nuke threads with ease and tremendous carnage despite their other shortcomings. With their damage having been brought back to the pack, they really could use something else that makes them interesting.

Maybe making combat something other than “spam powerful simple attacks and heal as needed” could be a project for episode 3 design, who knows?

Possibly a Cabbage edited this message on 12/01/2008 8:59PM

BaconSupreme

Avatar: 77335 Sat Nov 08 20:57:52 -0500 2008

[The Bacon Stack]

Level 34 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

Possibly a Cabbage Posted:

long post with a good idea

I like this man’s thinking.

Zilurtrav

Level 35 Hacker

Hackers get one tree for normal, comparatively high powered attacks (just normal hacker attacks like we have now).

Hackers get one tree for low-powered attacks that do damage over time (i.e. they “poison” forums with their hax).

Hackers get one tree that temporarily debuffs threads, reducing their statistics in ways like “thread takes more damage”, “thread does less damage”, “thread hits less frequently” etc.

Endorsed.

Healbot

Avatar: 25938 Wed Oct 22 16:28:36 -0400 2008

[The Protected]

Level 49 Troll

“Complete Dipshit”

SimplyTHEBEST Posted:

Your Troll does about 1773 damage with Recipe, and your hacker SHOULD be doing 2082-2186 damage with ipz. The only attack that should be doing about 400 would be scrmbl, which should have a damage range of about 362-413. If ipz is ACTUALLY doing only that much damage, then post screenshots of both your stats and the damage for the attack in question, and we can get to the bottom of this – I doubt ET would put in clbum-specific offense damage modifiers, so if this is true then you’re almost certainly suffering from a bug.

You apparently didn’t read the post, he was trying to pwn the Great Firewall with a low level Hacker, ie getting a 80% damage reduction. All the while comparing this to his capped Troll. Like D’uh

SimplyTHEBEST

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

Healbot Posted:

You apparently didn’t read the post, he was trying to pwn the Great Firewall with a low level Hacker, ie getting a 80% damage reduction. All the while comparing this to his capped Troll. Like D’uh

I can’t believe I missed his level. Thanks!

doctormale reproductive organtor

[70 Character Story-
tellers
]

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Really awesome, well thought-out idea

Yes, yes, and yes. And yes again. Make hackers different somehow.

Arbiter

Avatar: 77516 Fri Nov 14 12:15:05 -0500 2008

Level 41 Hacker

Simply, greatest hacker evar.

THIS IS MADNESS

silversparrow

Level 62 Camwhore

“Skank-Ass Ho-Bag”

Madness?

THIS!!!

IS!!!

...No, actually, you’re right. It’s just madness.

Arbiter

Avatar: 77516 Fri Nov 14 12:15:05 -0500 2008

Level 41 Hacker

Simply, greatest hacker evar.

win?

SimplyTHEBEST

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

Fail.

Benjamini

Level 35 Hacker

response from ET pl0x?

SimplyTHEBEST

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

I think that ET shouldn’t bother responding until there are some NON-****TY hackers complaining. The people who have ****ed so far just have NFI how to play their clbum, and balancing things to make the n00bs happy just leads to things getting really ****ty.

Possibly a C-
abbage

[Leafy Green Vegeta-
bles
]

Level 35 Hacker

SimplyTHEBEST Posted:

I think that ET shouldn’t bother responding until there are some NON-****TY hackers complaining. The people who have ****ed so far just have NFI how to play their clbum

Excuse me?

SimplyTHEBEST

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

Excuse me?

Have you actually been having problems?

Possibly a C-
abbage

[Leafy Green Vegeta-
bles
]

Level 35 Hacker

SimplyTHEBEST Posted:

Have you actually been having problems?

Am I having trouble? No. Am I having fun playing this clbum, like I once did? Also, no. I consider this a problem, issues of fun being largely subjective aside.

Theo de Raadt

Avatar: 72133 Fri Jan 02 12:04:19 -0500 2009

[Late Yak Sectarian]

Level 31 Hacker

My brain is so full of **** that I have to spew it on Flamebate so I don't have to suffer a lobotomy

Hackers are not that bad Log in to see images!

admiralcervi-
xtor

Level 35 Hacker

Theo de Raadt Posted:

Hackers are not that bad Log in to see images!

What is missing from that screenshot?

Lemon scoops.

Why?

Because hackers can’t speedrun anything.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!