Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Whores Operation: Wife Beater

SimplyTHEBEST

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

I think that most people in the end-game have figured out that ET has made a few mistakes in how he’s been handling the game balance. He’s turned the defense-heavy troll into an unstoppable brute, beefed up the emokid to the point where it can almost pwn the Geronimo boss thread, and hamstrung the camwhore. Rather than trying to set things up to become more and more balanced as new high-level community forums come out (Remember Ep1 Faux News runs?), he’s living entirely in the now.

Clearly, he needs to be shown the error of his ways.

What I ask will result in you losing out on lemon scoops and vanilla scoops, so if you’re big on domination then you probably don’t want to participate.

Here’s how it works: ET has a script running that aggregates damage information from the player base and distills it into an easy to read form. Telling us how the system works lets us game it to our own advantage. Specifically, since it doesn’t track anything like damage taken, health, or stats, we can very easily change the data it collects.

What we need is for as many people as possible to pay Haxl a visit and get rid of our offense stats, then unequip our offense-boosting equipment. You can put the points in anything you want – defense and upkeep are good choices. After that, just pwn forums as you normally would. If you want to go the extra mile (Probably because you’re bored) then try to do it with only Bash and Drool.

This will result in his damage averages tanking like the fist of north star, and him scrambling to boost clbumes. (Or realizing that his testing method sucks, which is also fine.)

Why it works: It samples 1 in 10 attacks, and averages it into the total. Since lower damage attacks take proportionately more hits to take down a forum, there are more of them to sample. An attack that does 2k damage has the same weight as an attack that does 200 damage, but it takes 10x more 200 damage attacks to get the same total damage. The average damage of one 2,000 damage attack and ten 200 damage attacks is 364 damage. If you go the bash/drool route then that would mean one 2,000 damage attack versus a hundred 20 damage attacks, for an average of 40 damage per hit.

It’s not hard to see why even a few people doing this could drag an entire clbum’s average damage down significantly.

Sadly, the script DOES break things down by level. As a result, this would work much better if players from all clbumes from across the entire 25-35 level range got involved so that we could smooth the damage curve out instead of just having a sharp drop at 35.

I’ve already sent ET a tubmail forewarning that I was going to be messing with his data collection.

“Why do this?”, you ask? Well, because players have been tweaking themselves so that they’re the most capable at taking down forums. By putting everything into offense, players have been able to one-shot most threads. Since they’re one-shotting threads, that means they take no damage and make every stat besides luck and charisma pointless. With the recent adjustments to luck and charisma, a random smattering of .moar files is enough to hit the effective luck and charisma caps.

TL;DR: Offense is the only stat that matters, so that’s the only stat people put points into.

With so many people dumping everything into Offense, it’s completely expected that everybody’s damage has taken five steps past “insane” and into “absurd”. However, since all ET is looking at is the raw damage it’s only to be expected that he intervene to bring things back into parity between the clbumes. As stronger forums come out each clbum’s specialties are going to become more important, and people will pull points out of offense so they aren’t getting one-shotted by forums with 5k pwnage and a base attack strength of 200.

TL;DR: ****’s ****ed. Go to Haxl. Keep Offense low. Use weak attacks. **** gets fixed.

Any takers?

scully

Avatar: 12797 2015-07-20 16:59:13 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

Are you joking, trying to troll in an insanely subtle manner or just bored?

Let’s not completely derail the rebalancing process one month into the release of a new expansion of a smaller game. I agree that the recent balances have been swingy and frustrating (my cams went from hitting for 2700 to 1750, while my trolls went from 2000ish to 3000+), but trying to manipulate the system is certainly not going to do anything besides prolong the rebalancing process.

I think a good idea would actually be to stop doing “random” samples and specifically target some of the known high end alt whores for data gathering. They will be running optimal or near optimal speed builds and give a true base to judge things.

xXx-Fallen_A-
ngel-xXx

Level 39 Camwhore

“Lingeriepist”

scullyangel Posted:

I think a good idea would actually be to stop doing “random” samples and specifically target some of the known high end alt whores for data gathering. They will be running optimal or near optimal speed builds and give a true base to judge things.

I tend to agree with this point, there are a small number of players that consistently top the leaderboard times. Just datamine off of them and we should be good to go in terms of balancing the endgame players.

SimplyTHEBEST

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

The problem is that you’re looking at players who have optimized themselves for damage at the cost of everything else, and then bumuming THAT damage output is typical of normal play.

Frankly, I think the best way to balance things in the endgame is to have each forum’s speedrun times broken down by clbum. Trolls have to be faster than trolls, emokids have to be better than emokids, camwhores have to be better than camwhores, etc…

Then we can stop worrying about endgame play and instead focus on typical play.

Also, this is what is known as a “Proof of concept” exploit. I intend to sabotage the system in order to show that it can, in fact, be sabotaged. It’s not like I’m doing this secretly and trying to hide it from ET or anything. If anything, finding and testing exploits smooths things out – once an exploit is discovered and tested, you can take steps to correct the actual issue so that it doesn’t happen in the future.

By way of example, what if I decided to go to people who primarily play camwhores and use the latest nerf to convince them to join in on the plan? A few people conspiring to skew the results just after a nerf would be enough to drag the average down, and that in turn would be enough to convince ET that he overdid the nerf. For all we know, a group of trolls did just that and got a nice boost as a reward.

It’s a light gray hat I wear today. Log in to see images!

aSh-gangSTA--

Avatar: 23493 2011-10-31 20:46:14 -0400

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 60 Emo Kid

The Delightfully Chaotic

Rather than trying to break his script why don’t you just suggest a better way to balance things? You obviously like writing out gigantic thesis’s, why not put all that thought and effort into a fix rather than an elaborate skewering of the existing system.

SimplyTHEBEST

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

That’s kinda the problem. Since there’s no challenges anymore, the differences between the clbumes at the end all boils down to NOTHING more than offense stat*base damage/refresh. The most honest that things get is emokids making runs at Geronimo, and even THAT just involves them putting a few less points into offense so they can get more health.

If you try to balance things out the way they are, then all you’re going to do is homogenize the clbumes until they’re all just clones in different wigs.

If you REALLY want balance, then you need to balance things for typical play instead of end-game play, and THAT is something I can help.

Step 1: Split the speedrun times up based on clbum. That will instantly end all the ****ing about how today’s whipping boy clbum is ruining speedruns for everybody else. This won’t help balance things one damn bit, but it will shut the endgamers up so that the noise-to-signal ratio on balance discussions will be a lot clearer and will tone down the pressure from complaints.

Step 2: Run BalanceBot-9000 on forums that don’t exist. A lot. Give it some fully-equipped level 35 clbumes, and run them through forums that start at level 34 and go upwards until no clbum can complete a forum even once. It doesn’t matter what the specifics of each virtual-fake-forums are, as long as they’re in-line with the level and are kept consistent between each run and each clbum. Keep detailed logs of the battles, and balance things work based on THOSE statistics.

I’d have suggested handing this task off to players, but to be honest they’d probably either get bored and wander off or take it as an excuse to be total male reproductive organs and **** the statistics. *Waves to ET*

Step 3: Start deploying HIGH level forums and seeing how well the test runs match reality. From here on out, you can check your BalanceBot’s suggestion against player behavior and see about keeping things in line. As long as players can’t just whore one stat and enjoy everything forever, the data you get from them should be decently reliable.

Keep the BalanceBot doing runs, however, and consider running changes through that before testing them on the players.

Don’t, of course. There’s no fun in being an admin if you can’t **** around with the player base, so keep that ‘pre-testing changes’ thing to just something you considered.

quangntenemy

Avatar: 14557 2011-10-31 11:07:55 -0400

[WeChall]

Level 69 Troll

:ronpaul: :****ing sucks:

Camwhores are still overpowered imo.

twas

Avatar: 40896 2011-11-01 00:47:59 -0400

[fine upstanding member of society]

Level 35 Troll

Wher Have My Poor Imaginary Wife and Child Gone

Today, 3:24 PM

forumwarz: @fran_molina it’s an on-going process. All four clbumes should be equivalent when I’m done

We shouldn’t just judge the rebalance effort purely based on how it affects the characters at level 30+. Does anyone have any information on how it affects players with a level of say 8?

I think that one of the problems is that Crotch Zombie is focusing on attack power when some of the equipment might need to be nerfed.

SimplyTHEBEST

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

Level 8’s back around Ep1. They’d have some serious trouble affording Ep2 eq, so the balance there should be basically the same as it was pre-ep2.

The primary changes seem to be focusing on the last few abilities of each clbum. It’s the 25-and-up crowd that are getting hit the most by these latest balance changes.

Also, the Eq might need to be nerfed, but with everybody going hardcore attack-whore there’s absolutely no way to tell. What does it matter if an item gives +9000 defense, ego, and upkeep if the forums the person wielding it pwns can never get a hit in?

Possibly a C-
abbage

Avatar: 76887 Fri Oct 24 03:39:44 -0400 2008

[Leafy Green Vegeta-
bles
]

Level 35 Hacker

Herbaceous, biennial, dicotyledonous , and flowering.

I’m not sure hackers can actually pwn forums without putting points in offense and equipping offense boosting equipment. All of their decent equips are offense heavy. The best you can get with four hardware slots without boosting offense is +24 defense, as opposed to the +60 offense and +60 defense most high level hackers are using.

Kilroy

Avatar: 62524 Fri Dec 26 00:25:59 -0500 2008

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

I DON’T HAVE EPISODE 2 I DON’T KNOW IF THAT AFFECTS ANY OF THE FOLLOWING BUT WHATEVER

This is my first time playing Forumwarz, never bought an alt, etc. This is my only character, so I have nothing else to compare to.

My Emo kid has…

Ego 3185

Tears 2233

Offense 34

Defense 39

Luck 12

Frugality 12

Charisma 10

Upkeep 3

I have no idea what the last 4 do, at all. I read the Wiki, and it doesn’t really make sense in my brain. What I do know is that these stats are pretty ****ed up (I think). If I’m thinking right, my Ego should be lower, and everything else should be higher, correct? Even if, I can pwn Second Wife in around 2 minutes, only because I can’t 1-hit threads. What I think the problem here is that angry posts don’t do enough damage. Whenever I get hit (Attacks always miss, I think that’s Luck, right?), it only does between 20-30 damage. When I get hit in a ratio of 1:10, and there’s 10 threads to pwn, that means if each hit attack did the average damage (25), 25x10 is 250. 3185 – 250 is 2985. I think we have a problem here. Not only should angry posts do more damage in general, threads should have more God Damned health. Whining about trolls 1-hitting? Either make everyone weaker/balance everyone, or make the opponent stronger. Those are the two options we have. The latter would make more sense in the future.

That’s what I have to say now.

Kilroy edited this message on 11/23/2008 8:28PM

SimplyTHEBEST

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

Kilroy Posted:

My Emo kid has…

Ego 3185

Tears 2233

Offense 34

Defense 39

Luck 12

Frugality 12

Charisma 10

Upkeep 3

You have somebody named “haxlrose” on your sTalk list. If you talk to him he’ll reset your stats for you, then you can repick things.

If you want to play normally, then you put too many points into Ego. You also might want to consider putting fewer points into Tears and getting a cache of tears restoring items to use when you run low.

Upkeep makes your equipment take less damage, so you don’t need to repair it as often.

Frugality decreases the cost of items, and the first 10 points of it increase how much you get when you sell things.

Luck and Charisma improve the quantity and quality of the items you get from deliveries.

Also, somebody toss this guy a few BP once he hits 35. He’ll have earned episode 2 by that point.

SimplyTHEBEST edited this message on 11/23/2008 8:31PM

Kilroy

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

SimplyTHEBEST Posted:

You have somebody named “haxlrose” on your sTalk list. If you talk to him he’ll reset your stats for you, then you can repick things.

If you want to play normally, then you put too many points into Ego. You also might want to consider putting fewer points into Tears and getting a cache of tears restoring items to use when you run low.

Upkeep makes your equipment take less damage, so you don’t need to repair it as often.

Frugality decreases the cost of items, and the first 10 points of it increase how much you get when you sell things.

Luck and Charisma improve the quantity and quality of the items you get from deliveries.

Also, somebody toss this guy a few BP once he hits 35. He’ll have earned episode 2 by that point.

Alright, thanks for the suggestions and explanation. also

SimplyTHEBEST Posted:

teehee ^_^

Lord Shplane

Avatar: 49819 Fri Dec 05 01:45:00 -0500 2008

[Forumwarz Speakeasy]

Level 69 Troll

:)

I like the guy who said to make enemies stronger.

Defense and ego will never mean ANYTHING if no thread is hitting for more than 30.

Hell, higher level forums should be hitting for 500 or more, and when we get out the “New GFoC and Faux News” they should be hitting in the thousands.

twas

Level 35 Troll

Lord Shplane Posted:

Defense and ego will never mean ANYTHING if no thread is hitting for more than 30.

Hell, higher level forums should be hitting for 500 or more, and when we get out the “New GFoC and Faux News” they should be hitting in the thousands.

Your defense is the reason the forums hit for 30. It is also the reason you get a high percentage of misses too. If you want to get hit for more then un-equip an item.

Also, I don’t think a “New GFoC and Faux News” will be enough. Many of the current forums should be adjusted.

BlankTH

Avatar: 26180 Wed Nov 19 19:43:39 -0500 2008

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Camwhore

Is gay for looming

RERAILING THREAD:

I’m behind you 100% on this. I am one of the horde that has maxed my offence (I belive it’s at 93 or something). I’m also one of the players that are ****ed as **** about this nerfing crap. I mean I have a couple of alts with other clbumes, bet they’re all useless, I play camwhore. I would help you male reproductive organ woth the system, but I’m a ginormous domfabulous person (you can tell from my trophies eh? Log in to see images!), so maybe some other time.

To ET: Fix this ****, srsly ur ****in everyone off. At least the camwhores. Exept the trolls, they’re still fabulous personging around with their 400 attack. Also, I’m pretty sure emos don’t care either.

Kilroy

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

was Posted:

Your defense is the reason the forums hit for 30. It is also the reason you get a high percentage of misses too. If you want to get hit for more then un-equip an item.

Also, I don’t think a “New GFoC and Faux News” will be enough. Many of the current forums should be adjusted.

The equipment shouldn’t be making me get hit by 30s, and Defense shouldn’t count as evasiveness if it does now.

The game should be made so that you can wear equipment and still have a challenge.

twas

Level 35 Troll

BlankTH Posted:

Also, I’m pretty sure emos don’t care either.

Emos were the ones at the biggest disadvantage before any of the changes.

twas

Level 35 Troll

Kilroy Posted:

equipment shouldn’t be making me get hit by 30s, and Defense shouldn’t count as evasiveness if it does now.

The game should be made so that you can wear equipment and still have a challenge.

Well unless it has been changed recently, it does. A higher defense decrease the amount a thread hits you for.

That is why defense needs to be nerfed somehow. It causes serious problems for the emo clbum.

twas edited this message on 11/23/2008 9:09PM

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

First of all telling people to game the system so you get the changes you want is a very special idea. You know thousands of people play Forumwarz every day right, and only a very small percentage read flamebate and would subscribe to your idea, don’t you?

Secondly, I know nobody likes negative adjustments to their clbumes, but in the long term it’s in everyone’s best interests to have a balanced game. None of my changes should be considered final at this point, although I have overwhelming stats about Camwhores and Hackers being far more powerful than the other two core clbumes.

I read every Tubmail people send me (including the long one you sent, OP) and I take their advice into consideration. Sure, sometimes things get lost in the noise but I am doing my best to make sure the game is solid here.

In terms of more challenging content, I think very soon we will start to see some new challenging forums and quests. I’ve got some great things in mind. It’ll just take some time to get things into place.

(BTW, even though the example I gave is currently only tracking damage, I obviously can and will be tracking many other stats too — I’m not sure how you got the idea I didn’t care about other attributes.)

Evil Trout edited this message on 11/23/2008 9:29PM
Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!