Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
PC Games Playing Strategy Games Improves Leadership Skills

Inertia

Avatar: 60995 Fri Apr 03 12:59:05 -0400 2009

[Shii is gay]

Level 35 Troll

also wow i have no male reproductive organ

Is this a good thing to have on your CV?

why_so_srs

Level 21 Troll

“Li'l Hellraiser”

Be more precise. What games?

GadgetArcrep

Avatar: 79210 Tue Nov 18 18:12:30 -0500 2008

Level 30 Hacker

“01001000 01000001 01011000”

I think RTS’s like Warcraft and AoE.

And yes, lets see how many employers take a shining to “Enjoys Starcraft” on your Resume…

Shinobu

Avatar: 67073 Sat Nov 01 14:39:53 -0400 2008

[team awesome face]

Level 30 Troll

“Permafail”

tiberium sun & wars = win

why_so_srs

Level 21 Troll

“Li'l Hellraiser”

GadgetArcrep Posted:

I think RTS’s like Warcraft and AoE.

And yes, lets see how many employers take a shining to “Enjoys Starcraft” on your Resume…

Especially when followed by expert C++ programmer. And especially when your employer is Blizzard Log in to see images!

Travalgar

Avatar: 49870 Tue Oct 21 02:47:07 -0400 2008

Level 29 Troll

“Gaping Asshole”

No way. Playing RTS games will make you an annoying bossy fella. RTS players are used to giving out orders, which is then done ASAP without further delay (except those caused by internet connection lag).

GM Pax

Avatar: 21782 Thu Nov 20 21:29:08 -0500 2008

Level 20 Emo Kid

“Moan-a Lisa”

Inertia Posted:

Is this a good thing to have on your CV?

I wouldn’t say they improve Leadership skills, no. Organisational skills, planning skills, maybe. But not Leadership skills.

Just remember: with a strategy game, since you’re not giving orders to PEOPLE … there’s really no “leadership” involved. Leadership isn’t really about “making the decisions” ... it’s about COMMUNICATING those decisions, delegating parts of the authority needed to execute those decisions, and motivating people to work towards completing the plan you’ve devised.

OTOH, being the head of a large, active, well-organised and successful Clan/Guild/whatever in an MMO …? Yes, IMO, one can learn effective leadership (and personnel management) skills from that sort of activity.

In a Clan or Guild leadership role, you really ARE practising and learnign the skills to do just that – to not only formulate a plan, but then, figure out who best to take charge of which aspect of it, and, how to motivate the people in that group to work towards the goals set forth in that plan.

TeeKayEff

[Team Shortbus]

Level 34 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

whatever a CV is, no.

Inertia

[Shii is gay]

Level 35 Troll

GM Pax Posted:

I wouldn’t say they improve Leadership skills, no. Organisational skills, planning skills, maybe. But not Leadership skills.

Just remember: with a strategy game, since you’re not giving orders to PEOPLE … there’s really no “leadership” involved. Leadership isn’t really about “making the decisions” ... it’s about COMMUNICATING those decisions, delegating parts of the authority needed to execute those decisions, and motivating people to work towards completing the plan you’ve devised.

OTOH, being the head of a large, active, well-organised and successful Clan/Guild/whatever in an MMO …? Yes, IMO, one can learn effective leadership (and personnel management) skills from that sort of activity.

In a Clan or Guild leadership role, you really ARE practising and learnign the skills to do just that – to not only formulate a plan, but then, figure out who best to take charge of which aspect of it, and, how to motivate the people in that group to work towards the goals set forth in that plan.

Ah, you speak wise truth

Are-

Avatar: 90963 Mon Dec 15 03:10:56 -0500 2008

[Giveupalready]

Level 35 Hacker

The Biscuit Kid is my GOD, and I'm a piece of ****!

Well, why not put it on your CV?

I’ve heard about people putting stuff about being a leader in a clan on a MMORPG on their CV, and got positive results from it…so why not give it a shot?

Inertia

[Shii is gay]

Level 35 Troll

I’m no talking about MMO really. I never play in a klan. Oh wait, once with Tesfan, but I wasn’t a leader.

I’m talking about Red Alert, Starcraft, sort of games..

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!