Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Rant Obsolescence and a Simple Battle System?

Zi

Avatar: 10822 Wed Dec 24 04:02:22 -0500 2008

Level 34 Camwhore

“Legs Wide Open”

I’m starting this thread from a line of thinking that occurred to me in another thread.

Keep in mind that I’m not a savvy programmer, so I’m speaking from pure perception and conjecture here without consideration for practicality. I also understand that with games like these, the endgame is really all about a single optimization build.

Once you reach the level cap, there’s really only one way to build your character. I feel like the individual stats are imbalanced, with offense being the most important of all. The purpose of this discussion is to come up with ideas to make some of the other stats more important. Basically, my ideas are geared towards making the game more challenging. Here are my ideas in a semi-organized list:

Point A: Imbalanced Stat Value

1. Introduce critical hits, ranging from 1.5x damage to 3x damage. Luck would effect the chance of critical hits occurring, but certain attacks and items might have specific critical hit properties. I wonder if these should stack with luck or not. It would encourage more unique builds if they did not stack, I believe.

2. Items should take damage simply by going into battle. This would make upkeep more relevant. Of course they wouldn’t take as much damage as actually getting hit, but they would still require repair even if you can one-shot forums.

3. Maybe a new type of upgrade should be introduced. I’m thinking a whole array of pbumive abilities, some of which might cost the whole 5 upgrade points. At this point it doesn’t matter what they’d do, but it would be another thing to spend points on beside the main stats, complicating character builds and creating new options.

4. It seems like there’s a minimum charisma required to get the max delivery, but this is pure Theorywarz. I’m thinking of in game options where charisma would be effective, such as conversations with NPCs and lying to people or convincing them to do one thing or another. However, even I know that that would be a huge programming endeavor. Or maybe I don’t know. Who knows.

5. Status effects. Certain attacks or items could create status effects, luck being the factor that increases the chance of them happening. However, perhaps traits like charisma and frugality also might effect these things if the effect is somehow related to the effect. For instance, maybe a certain attack cause a forum to drop flezz on death and increased frugality would make the number higher.

That’s basically all I have to say about the main stat system right now. On to my second point which is the obsolescence of several attacks and items since episode 2. It’s impossible for this not to happen, but I feel it can be diminished with a few game mechanics.

Point B: Obsolescence of Abilities and items

1. Giving different attacks “elemental” traits, or simply that they do certain damage to certain forums. For camwhores, the textual abuse abilities are obsolete compared to the higher damage showin’ some skin skill tree. If Textual abuse had some kind of element that was stronger against certain forums while showin’ some skin was weaker against the same forum, it would become useful again.

2. The same principle can be applied to items. At the same time, forums would have elemental attacks that do more damage to you and various items can provide resistances. Kind of like Diablo’s resistance system. Elemental resistances could even be upgrades to distract away from the main stats.

That’s basically where my line of thought ends, but I’m thinking of a few more details that I leave out until I get further input. Let me finish by saying although I’m nit-picking I ****ing love FW. Log in to see images! Zi edited this message on 11/10/2008 9:10PM

The Suspender

Avatar: 70366 Mon Dec 29 00:40:55 -0500 2008

Level 24 Hacker

“Mafiaboy”

Hate some of your ideas, but love critical hits.

Both ways. You at the forum and the forum at you.

You at the forum:When you post, the angry reploy is not insulting. It’s something like a lawsuit threat, committing suicide because of your post, congratulating your awesomeness, or something not a typical angry reply. That post provides the additional damage. May or may not depending on luck result in no damage hitting you on that turn.

The forum at you:Multiple people each post an insult, each of which damages you.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!