Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Evil Trout ForumBuildr v2.0 Beta

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

Kelp Plankton Posted:

I’m really enjoying the forumbuildr. It’s fun to see how much people like or hate my ideas. Though I’d like to ask that the sorting options be added for “users” as well, if possible? It’s nice to go and do the “sort by newest” so I can vote on everything I haven’t seen yet, and it seems strange that there’s just the one category where I can’t do it.

I’m having a lot of fun with it too. I think it will just get better as time goes on. When Forumwarz Domination is released people will receive points for getting stuff voted up and that will make it even more interesting.

We definitely need sorting for the enemies. The reason it’s not there is because it doesn’t share the same code base as the others (and I was lazy). It’s coming.

PUBICDAWG

[7 VIBRATING DOLDOES]

Level 36 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Will forums made in the forum builder be XSS-able and FBO-able?

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

PUBICDAWG Posted:

Will forums made in the forum builder be XSS-able and FBO-able?

Hah! You know it’s funny but I hadn’t thought about this. The XSS and FBO code only extends to the Forums in episode 1.

I’m going to say no at first, until we get a better handle on how often people will be playing these user-created forums. If the popularity continues, we will definitely integrate them in a bigger role in the Forumwarz universe.

It’s interesting to think that if we keep up the rate of one a week, by the end of 2008 we’ll have 52 new forums. Since the gameplay is currently based on pwning a relatively small amount of forums, we will have to make changes to accommodate the larger set of content.

This is a good problem to have, though. We can only benefit from having more virtual internet to pwn Log in to see images! We’re definitely excited about it!

Vagitarian

[The Flamers of Loa-
thing
]

Level 10 Troll

Im a stupid ****wad

This thing blossomed like a beautiful rose. Wowza.

Soth

[The Protected]

Level 66 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

HAIL SATIN

Level 18 Camwhore

“Playground Pin-Up”

Soth Posted:

yeah, I dislike the fact that high-voted stuff flies to the top of the list and buries even new stuff because new stuff only gets +1 as a default. It would be more useful if you only saw stuff you hadn’t voted on. AJAXify it so that things disappear as you rate them. Browsing already voted stuff should be a separate page. It might also be beneficial for you not to see what the ratings are that something already got until you vote, too.

This might not matter so much if the threshold for addition to the system is something like having a +3 rating, but I can see it crowding out good material, especially late in the week (as it is now.)

HAIL SATIN edited this message on 01/02/2008 11:22AM

Juggurly

[The Protected]

Level 26 Camwhore

“Playmate of the Month”

The search function for the various @terms might need a little tweaking or ways to get cut out some results, almost everything I type in that’s not very specific gets me @thing_random_plural, @religous_belief, and @sexual_activity

Hamelin

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

I noticed the preview doesn’t display indices of wildcards correctly. I think it displays it correctly after it’s posted but I’m not quite sure.

Also, could you guys add a way for me to add s to the end of wildcards? any extra letter messes them up and I need plurals sometimes. I’ve been doing it cheaply by adding ’s to the end, since the apostrophe doesn’t screw with the wildcard, but it’d be nice to do it right.

A way to view my submissions would be nice too, and I agree that ratings shouldn’t show up until after you vote on something. A preexisting high or low score can skew the way someone votes I think.

Hamelin edited this message on 01/02/2008 12:23PM

HAIL SATIN

Level 18 Camwhore

“Playground Pin-Up”

oh, the 4skin idea description only works if we get Terra Online too. Idea makers: probably a good idea not to get referential to stuff that hasn’t been approved yet.

And if we get Flamebate, to be honest, it would work nicely as a “bonus round” between episodes or something, in such a way that its difficulty varies based on actual flamebate traffic.

HAIL SATIN edited this message on 01/02/2008 3:23PM

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

I’ve put out some enhancements today to the ForumBuildr!

First of all you’ll now see a number beside each component of the forum that indicates how many submissions there are that you haven’t voted on. If you’re addicted to voting like me, this makes it a lot easier to find new things to vote on, as you can just refresh the ForumBuildr page and see what’s new.

The default view for all voteable things is now “Newest first”. You can still view the winning entries but it requires an additional click. I think these two features will increase the votes on new items and eliminate some of the bias towards voting up the items that are already high.

You can also now sort on all components (previously you couldn’t do this for Enemies, Styles and Logos).

Now that the new stuff is out of the way, regarding the suggestion about hiding votes until you’ve voted, it’s something I considered at first but I decided not to do. Now you guys are making me re-think that so I’ll bring it up with the other Crotch Zombies and come back with a decision.

Vagitarian

[The Flamers of Loa-
thing
]

Level 10 Troll

Im a stupid ****wad

Gamefaqs doesn’t actually have avatars, though. I noticed Gamefabulous persons does.

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

It’s possible to hide the avatars using a style, if someone wants to go ahead and try that out (just hide the image using CSS). It would be something like this (untested):

#posts .by_whom img { display: none }

Having said that a lot of people have voted up enemies that include avatars as part of the joke, so they might not be willing to vote for a style that hides them all Log in to see images!

HAIL SATIN

Level 18 Camwhore

“Playground Pin-Up”

Vagitarian Posted:

Gamefaqs doesn’t actually have avatars, though. I noticed Gamefabulous persons does.

in this dangerous future the avatar has permeated the entirety of society

Phlegmatic

[Pessimists]

Level 19 Troll

“Li'l Hellraiser”

anyway we need an interface to add new avatars, we can’t just rely on yours forever

HAIL SATIN

Level 18 Camwhore

“Playground Pin-Up”

especially because the dr. video games phenomenon has spread to gamefabulous persons

Vagitarian

[The Flamers of Loa-
thing
]

Level 10 Troll

Im a stupid ****wad

On the angry replies thread, the comments go into the margins where the ASUS laptop ad is. Consequently, I can’t upvote or downvote these things anymore.

WHAT TEH CHRISTORZLog in to see images!

Hamelin

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

I think it’s the one with all the random numbers making fun of those OMG I KNOW YOUR IP signatures. They’re not line breaking because there’s no space between them.

Phlegmatic Posted:

anyway we need an interface to add new avatars, we can’t just rely on yours forever

Thing about that is there’d have to be some sort of approval process, to weed out copyrighted content.

Hamelin edited this message on 01/03/2008 1:36PM

f

Level 22 Troll

“Dick in a Box”

Phlegmatic Posted:

f

Level 22 Troll

“Dick in a Box”

btw i added some cool submissions rate them up tia

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

Phlegmatic Posted:

I agree. Since it involves throwing a lot of data on our server we’ll have to limit that somehow though. I was thinking we might allow to upload one a week, but you could increase that limit with brownie points or something.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!