Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Bug - 3 Why is Forumwarz a Firefox-only game?

Ixiru

[Trolls F T W]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

I can access this and Tubmail from IE, but I can’t access anything else. Vista doesn’t like Firefox, so I’m wondering… why is Forumwarz still a Firefox-only game?

[Edit: I can access everything but the meat of the game, i.e. everything but the bookarks, sTalk, and Character tabs.]

Ixiru edited this message on 12/11/2007 9:35PM

Cyberbbo

Level 6 Troll

“Jerk Chicken”

I don’t know the specifics, but I do know Firefox supports certain scripts etc. that IE and Opera don’t.

So there you go. Log in to see images!

Cubear

[Team AWESOME]

Level 10 Camwhore

Tubmail me a picture of your male reproductive organ, and I'll send you several pics of my naked body from every angle.

Yeah, it’s the toolbar script in particular (or that is what I’d heard) so if you were to use IE (I believe you can’t even try anymore) you would have difficulty attacking. I’m sure browser compatibility will be worked on, but probably not until after a lot of other things.

Also, Vista has issues with Firefox? mine doesn’t.

Ryouga Inver-
se

[Team AWESOME]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Because supporting every browser’s various quirks relating to JS would be a horrendous pain in the bum. FF has the best debug utilities for it, with Safari a close second, and IE’s are nonexistent. Also guess which one of these things doesn’t conform to the standards?

Anyway, what’s this about FF not running on Vista? It works perfectly fine for me.

Madacaek

[Fried Chikunz]

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Meh, this game gives me an excuse to use Firesomething more. Log in to see images!

Currently I’m browsing from Mozilla Thundertoad.

PUBICDAWG

[7 VIBRATING DOLDOES]

Level 36 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

For reasons beyond my control, I cannot use Firefox. However, the game works just fine in the Opera 9.5 beta, set in Site Preferences to identify as Firefox. The only problem is that the attack toolbar is sometimes slow, and a few other minor quibbles, but it’s still very playable.

Edit: Evil Trout, please don’t take action to prevent us from using the Opera 9.5 beta to play the game in this way.

PUBICDAWG edited this message on 12/12/2007 6:15AM

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

PUBICDAWG Posted:

For reasons beyond my control, I cannot use Firefox. However, the game works just fine in the Opera 9.5 beta, set in Site Preferences to identify as Firefox. The only problem is that the attack toolbar is sometimes slow, and a few other minor quibbles, but it’s still very playable.

Edit: Evil Trout, please don’t take action to prevent us from using the Opera 9.5 beta to play the game in this way.

Don’t worry, it’s actually impossible for me to prevent you from playing this way Log in to see images!

As to why we’re Firefox only:

The short version is that the battle toolbar does something with Javascript that IE doesn’t support because it’s broken. Microsoft knows about this and their official stance is “Wait for the next IE”

The longer version is that of course we could spend a lot of time building a new toolbar that doesn’t use this technique, or an IE-specific version of the toolbar. There just hasn’t been a good reason to spend all that time when Firefox and Safari are free and available for just about everyone who wants to use them.

I’m sorry for the people who want to play at offices where they’re forced to use IE, you’ll have to play at home for now Log in to see images!

From a development standpoint, it’s a much higher priority for me to create the two new features (Forumwarz Domination and the Forum Builder) than fix this. Maybe once those are deployed and I’m into Episode 2 development full time I will take a break and tackle the IE issue again.

Morkai the R-
ed

[The PyroKinetic Ge-
rbil
]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Evil Trout Posted:

I’m sorry for the people who want to play at offices where they’re forced to use IE, you’ll have to play at home for now Log in to see images!

http://portableapps.com/

Morkai the Red edited this message on 12/18/2007 6:56AM

Jalapeno Boo-
tyhole

Avatar: 44 2012-11-06 12:31:55 -0500

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 44 Emo Kid

I had the first bum avatar.

Morkai the Red Posted:

http://portableapps.com/

I feel like such a noob for not knowing about this!

Seems like a great, elegant solution. I’ve never tried the portable version of Firefox myself, but I don’t see why this shouldn’t work for people trapped in an oppressive, corporate hell. Good call, sir.

DoughnutLevi-
athan

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Or, rather, Firefox.

DoughnutLeviathan edited this message on 12/19/2007 2:40AM

c0ldc0d3r

Level 4 Troll

“Slightly Unpleasant Individual”

I’m using IE on Vista and it works fine

BloodVex

[Fightan Amphibyans]

Level 19 Troll

“Li'l Hellraiser”

Why exactly does Vista “not like Firefox”? I’ve been using Firefox on every Vista machine I’ve been on and it works just fine.

Ronnie Blaze

[Board of Directors]

Level 36 Troll

Please Ignore me! Imagined popularity makes me constantly defend myself, even though no one cares.

because firefox is the supreme browser

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

I should post here to say that we were able to support IE after all once a newer version of the Javascript library we use was released. It actually works around the IE bug we had for the most part, so it was only a few hours work to bring IE7 up to speed.

I personally prefer Firefox, but now at least you can play at work.

Vitafabulous person

[ZJEM CIE]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Ixiru Posted:

I can access this and Tubmail from IE, but I can’t access anything else. Vista doesn’t like Firefox, so I’m wondering… why is Forumwarz still a Firefox-only game?

[Edit: I can access everything but the meat of the game, i.e. everything but the bookarks, sTalk, and Character tabs.]

Vista has no issues with Fire****ed. I’m using it right now in Vista.

PellaFera

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

I’m on Vista using IE and the game works splendidly for me…>.>

Chopsticks

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

I’ve been using IE 7 all this time and I don’t have any problems, except the text sometimes gets a bit smushed when you’re attacking a thread, like the replies when you scroll down overlap with each other, but that’s about it.

Using XP btw.

Edit: Should’ve read the entire thread before replying.

Chopsticks edited this message on 02/15/2008 7:04PM

Nimbus

[P-S-Y]

Level 11 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

I’ve had no problems with vista/FF compatibility, it works better for me than IE.

Firefox is a far superior browser anyway, so people should be encouraged not to use IE.

Jagster

Level 30 Emo Kid

“Zorba the Bleak”

Ixiru Posted:

I have a mac, and forumwarz will work on safari

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!