Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Feature POLL: Should downvoting in Forumbuildr be eliminated?

Raepdog

Avatar: 57155 2011-07-31 00:44:38 -0400

[To Your Scattered -
Raepdogs Go
]

Level 35 Camwhore

We are foe.

We need a way to fix this problem. Now. We have spent months with failed petitions, warning that will amount to a ban over months, and constantly ****ing.

We the people of forumwarz need to act. We need to fix this. The community input in forumwarz is the strongest in any non-sandbox game I have ever seen. We have written more forums than the writers have, and some are damn good.

You’ve trusted us to make part of your game, now trust us to help fix it. Listen to us individually. Dont tell us you’ll think about the ideas, don’t tell us your plans. Listen to our ideas first, respond to them, that will give us a reason to listen to you.

Fortunato

Avatar: 72902 2010-02-03 18:45:17 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 51 Troll

ZOMBIE CANNONBALL OF GORE

What about a system that weights votes with buildr scores?

crayoncakes

[Team Shortbus]

Level 31 Troll

To Earthend and beyond!

Raepdog Posted:

We need a way to fix this problem. Now. We have spent months with failed petitions, warning that will amount to a ban over months, and constantly ****ing.

We the people of forumwarz need to act. We need to fix this. The community input in forumwarz is the strongest in any non-sandbox game I have ever seen. We have written more forums than the writers have, and some are damn good.

You’ve trusted us to make part of your game, now trust us to help fix it. Listen to us individually. Dont tell us you’ll think about the ideas, don’t tell us your plans. Listen to our ideas first, respond to them, that will give us a reason to listen to you.

That’s, uh, a bit overdramatic, don’t you think?

FAIL

Avatar: 36735 2015-06-13 23:04:37 -0400

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 25 Re-Re

Head of the Ministry of Man bumes

crayoncakes Posted:

That’s, uh, a bit overdramatic, don’t you think?

Raepdog is just saying what we’re all thinking, duh

bwahahahahahahahahahahaha

Jalapeno Boo-
tyhole

Avatar: 44 2012-11-06 12:31:55 -0500

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 44 Emo Kid

I had the first bum avatar.

You have to keep in mind that there are many conflicting ideas on how we should address this, and even internally we don’t quite agree on what should be done. This poll proves that we’re pretty much split on whether we should eliminate downvoting.

You should also keep in mind that with only one dev, we can’t set voting reform as our top priority. Right now ET is making major feature additions to Forumbuildr (which has been admittedly neglected for a while) that I think are extremely cool. Some of them are already in place.

But we want to work with you (the people) on this and take action. Perhaps we’ll set up a Forumbuildr Task Force that will help us refine the most popular ideas and democratically come up with a best plan of action?

But as far as I’m concerned, nobody’s nailed it yet. No single idea has been the right “solution” so far, but I’m also not convinced the system is broken. The builds have been turning out really well lately, and even though some individual submissions get downvoted, that’s inevitable.

However, Fortunato’s “system that weights votes with buildr scores” is a fine idea. I could get jiggy with that.

Grayson81

Level 68 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

Jalapeno Bootyhole Posted:

However, Fortunato’s “system that weights votes with buildr scores” is a fine idea. I could get jiggy with that.

That sounds like a good idea…

I’d be interested to know whether those with the highest buildr scores also have the fairest ratio of votes. Do those who are regularly submitting dozens of ideas have the biggest incentive to down-vote their competitors?

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

I’m sitting here watching my still-in-play entries get upwards of 40 votes (both up and down), while my -5 ones sit with a max of about 15. I can only wonder how many chocolate scoops I would’ve gotten if those were still available, or if any of them would’ve made the turnaround and gotten very high positives. No way to know, and since it’s the randomness of when people voted on them that make the determination, well, I think that sucks.

I don’t remember what I voted when I first saw this, but I would definitely vote “Yes” now if I had the chance.

JB, what are the official objections to removing the -5 “disappear” limit?

Fortunato

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 51 Troll

Off the top of my head I can already think of some things that would go wrong with such a system, but it still might be worth a shot.

In fairness to Crotch Zombie, though, a publicly generated, user voted collaborative creative system is a damn tough thing to create and keep users happy on. So heck, just try things until a system that works well is in place, that’s my vote.

Raepdog

[To Your Scattered -
Raepdogs Go
]

Level 35 Camwhore

We are foe.

MC Banhammer Posted:

JB, what are the official objections to removing the -5 “disappear” limit?

I say we test run that for a week. FW has gotten bigger, it should at least be -10.

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

Raepdog Posted:

I say we test run that for a week.

Forumbuildr theme weeks. Why not? Dom has them already…

Raepdog

[To Your Scattered -
Raepdogs Go
]

Level 35 Camwhore

We are foe.

MC Banhammer Posted:

Forumbuildr theme weeks. Why not? Dom has them already…

Not a theme, a test run. Its a legitimate idea, the only thing we change is the no dead-voting.

Jalapeno Boo-
tyhole

Avatar: 44 2012-11-06 12:31:55 -0500

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 44 Emo Kid

I had the first bum avatar.

I have some fanciful ideas for how we can address these issues, some of them more difficult than others, some of them more effective than others. There are a couple I want to try for sure.

ET likes the idea of an experimental build week, kind of like Domination themes. We can prevent burying of submissions, for example, which was how it was originally. But I’m willing to bet people will think it sucks mbumive donkey balls.

I’ll keep you posted.

Raepdog

[To Your Scattered -
Raepdogs Go
]

Level 35 Camwhore

We are foe.

I have some fanciful ideas for how we can address these issues, some of them more difficult than others, some of them more effective than others. There are a couple I want to try for sure.

ET likes the idea of an experimental build week, kind of like Domination themes. We can prevent burying of submissions, for example, which was how it was originally. But I’m willing to bet people will think it sucks mbumive donkey balls.

I’ll keep you posted.

Your my best friend!

Magic 8-Ball

Avatar: 88250 Wed Nov 19 14:37:39 -0500 2008

Level 35 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

... people will think it sucks mbumive donkey balls.

Most likely.

Fran

Avatar: 34789 2015-08-06 21:23:09 -0400

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 62 Camwhore

I wonder who is the bumbling idiot that still has fake currency on this website and actually spends

I’ll keep you posted.

Think only the buildr griefers will think it sucks donkey balls.

bummoppet

Avatar: 47899 2011-07-31 00:21:31 -0400

Level 60 Troll

“Grendel”

How about a rating system like 1-5? I guess that can still be downvoted as well but there might be more people voting 2-4 than on the other ends?

Downvoting is so rampant that forums still somehow win by large margins. Probably not because they are better than all the crappy submissions that get downvoted, but because of internet magic.

scully

Avatar: 12797 2015-07-20 16:59:13 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

Manphin Posted:

Downvoting is so rampant that forums still somehow win by large margins. Probably not because they are better than all the crappy submissions that get downvoted, but because of internet magic.

Hmmm, yes, things have changed a lot since MySpaceTom was needed to get a forum voted in.

I don’t think downvoting is running wild anymore than it ever has, it is and always has been cirgreat timesstantial. I’ve submitted the exact same idea within a week and first time it got hammered off the block in less than 30 minutes. Second time it ended the week getting included in the build. That says nothing about the quality of the idea, perhaps the first round of votes were accurate and the idea didn’t deserve to be considered, but it does say how much impact timing can have. *shrug*

shrtcat

Avatar: 79911 Sat Nov 15 22:45:44 -0500 2008

Level 25 Emo Kid

Posting from inside JB's bumhole

bummoppet Posted:

How about a rating system like 1-5? I guess that can still be downvoted as well but there might be more people voting 2-4 than on the other ends?

I like this idea.

Fortunato

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 51 Troll

Hate to sound conspiratorial, but what about klan raids? I have a sneaking suspicion that some klans come in and manipulate things so everyone gets chocolate scoops and stuff gets booted off the charts.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!