Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Feature POLL: Should downvoting in Forumbuildr be eliminated?

SG94

Avatar: 53266 2011-07-31 00:43:01 -0400

[SG Inc]

Level 35 Troll

The most anal, compulsive tattle tale on this site, mess with me and meet the ban axe ****

gigerth Posted:

no

it serves its purpose

QFT

Forumbuildr sucks lately, the LAST thing we need is to remove the ability to vote out unfunny ****.

meeeeeeeeee

Avatar: 15443 2010-04-04 18:27:25 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Troll

Sneakily vicious and filled with virtuous pit bulls.

The voting system sucks and will continue to suck more and more, in a downward spiral of suck, because there is no reason or incentive to use your votes well.

It might be better to ditch it as a failed experiment, and move over to an entirely different approach. How about instead something team based? A team of players design a forum and all its elements, the forum can be tested ‘live’ and then everyone votes on completed results to see which one gets our blessing that week. If you have stuff you want to contribute to someone elses forum idea, ask to join their team.

Also it might give klans another focus than talking **** in the forums and domination.

Thiefree

Avatar: 60455 Sun Feb 15 19:29:37 -0500 2009

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Camwhore

“Legs Wide Open”

meeeeeeeeee Posted:

The voting system sucks and will continue to suck more and more, in a downward spiral of suck, because there is no reason or incentive to use your votes well.

It might be better to ditch it as a failed experiment, and move over to an entirely different approach. How about instead something team based? A team of players design a forum and all its elements, the forum can be tested ‘live’ and then everyone votes on completed results to see which one gets our blessing that week. If you have stuff you want to contribute to someone elses forum idea, ask to join their team.

Also it might give klans another focus than talking **** in the forums and domination.

I like this idea; either this or capping it at -5.

Any user-based vote system allows room for people to make dumbbum choices, so maybe a selected panel of people with a ‘fair’ voter status would be the way forward.

Orb

Avatar: 33233 Tue Oct 21 12:46:08 -0400 2008

[70 Character Story-
tellers
]

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

meeeeeeeeee Posted:

I’d love to try that out. It sounds like it would be a lot of fun working as a team.

Bonkenhi

Avatar: 75529 Sat Nov 22 17:24:38 -0500 2008

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

I’d rather keep it. Keeps the crap out, at the end of the day.

Jalapeno Boo-
tyhole

Avatar: 44 2012-11-06 12:31:55 -0500

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 44 Emo Kid

I had the first bum avatar.

Hi guys,

I understand your frustration. With the recent influx of buildr noobs, there have been a lot of serial downvoters. I often look at the ratios and warn users, although it’s not an efficient way to deal with the problem. But while I don’t want to remove downvoting altogether, I think there should be some restrictions.

My thinking is, if your ratio is very low (and you’ve reached a minimum number of votes), you get a warning. Then, if you ignore the warning, at some point your downvotes get cut off unless you either vote some stuff up, or maybe we put in a time constraint.

Over a period of months, if you’re consistently meeting the lowest standards (i.e., only upvoting because you were warned each week) you will be ripe for bannination. I’m also thinking individuals who were banned for forumbuildr misconduct could have their votes retroactively reversed, although that’d be much harder to implement in mid-build.

I’ll discuss with the team further, but please continue to give us your input.

Drakodan

Avatar: 57623 2010-05-29 20:03:09 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Surfing the Tubes

I agree with this notion. I submitted 3 forum ideas which I put some thought into, I thought they were pretty good at least. They are all at -5 now. What the ****.

For you bumholes who did that, my submissions were McCannibals, The Good Old Days and Corporal Punishment.

Storm****er

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Jalapeno Bootyhole Posted:

My thinking is, if your ratio is very low (and you’ve reached a minimum number of votes), you get a warning. Then, if you ignore the warning, at some point your downvotes get cut off unless you either vote some stuff up, or maybe we put in a time constraint.

Over a period of months, if you’re consistently meeting the lowest standards (i.e., only upvoting because you were warned each week) you will be ripe for bannination. I’m also thinking individuals who were banned for forumbuildr misconduct could have their votes retroactively reversed, although that’d be much harder to implement in mid-build.

I fear that this would only complicate matters. I am actually for the elimination of downvoting because it can (and actually seems to be doing that, I am sort of a new member so I don’t have place for comparison) to be used not only for bad submissions, but for upvoting your own.

Inertia

Avatar: 60995 Fri Apr 03 12:59:05 -0400 2009

[Shii is gay]

Level 35 Troll

also wow i have no male reproductive organ

so if you can’t downvote anyone, what would the replacement mechanism for pruning out bad submissions? Because submissions won’t ever get down to -5. You can of course just keep everything but it’ll be a huge mess.

Storm****er

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Well, nothing actually, and that could become quite the problem. On the other hand, you may preserve the “pruning out of bad submissions” by making some sort of an algorithm based on statistical data. Like taking the average and dividing it by some number (10?) and applying that to a submission that has been around for let’s say 2 days.

meeeeeeeeee

Avatar: 15443 2010-04-04 18:27:25 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Troll

Sneakily vicious and filled with virtuous pit bulls.

Some kind of speed limit on voting might help. If you’re reading the submissions you’re voting on, it’s probably the case you’re going to vote according to your opinion of their quality. If you’re mbum downvoting, you’re not interested in evaluating the quality of the submissions, and will therefore be voting alot faster. It might not stop mbum downvoting, but it’ll make it more annoying to do so.

Bling Fling

Level 35 Camwhore

“Legs Wide Open”

meeeeeeeeee Posted:

Some kind of speed limit on voting might help. If you’re reading the submissions you’re voting on, it’s probably the case you’re going to vote according to your opinion of their quality. If you’re mbum downvoting, you’re not interested in evaluating the quality of the submissions, and will therefore be voting alot faster. It might not stop mbum downvoting, but it’ll make it more annoying to do so.

Supporting this, but timed voting constraints can quickly become a nuisance for legitimate voters as well. Especially enemies can be fairly judged in a matter of seconds imo.

Montressor

Avatar: 77535 Tue Jan 13 09:44:11 -0500 2009

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 37 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

OK, chiming in as a forumbuilr newb who’s doing fairly well IMO (score of 4 after two weeks).

What about a timer on downvoting? Say, unable to downvote until 24 hours after you’ve fulfilled your submission number? This would reward early posters who care.

UnlimitedANC

Avatar: 62422 Tue Nov 11 20:35:45 -0500 2008

Level 33 Camwhore

“Courte-chan”

Removing downvoting seems a solid plan. When I put actual thought into my ideas, then see them get dropped in favor of people upvoting idiocy like “OH EM GEE necrophilisa joke guiz!” it’s pretty discouraging.

All the same, how about a minimum number of daily upvotes needed to survive the day? That’d prevent the flooding. If that’s not harsh enough, cap the number of times a user can +1vote each day. Say you have 5 upvotes to use each day. Pbum until you find your 5, then you’re done. Meanwhile, your forum needs at least say, 10 upvotes to be around tomorrow and stay in the running. If people can’t just upvote **** like there’s no tomorrow, 5 votes will be a little harder to get.

Makes sense, no?

Tig O-Bitties

Avatar: 24201 Thu Nov 06 12:02:31 -0500 2008

[The Flamers of Loa-
thing
]

Level 33 Camwhore

“Courte-chan”

Inertia Posted:

so if you can’t downvote anyone, what would the replacement mechanism for pruning out bad submissions? Because submissions won’t ever get down to -5.

Maybe if a submission has received no upvotes and therefore has a score of 0 after a certain time limit (24 hours, say), it automatically gets dropped?

gigerth

Avatar: 30869 Fri Jun 26 22:33:49 -0400 2009

[Team Shortbus]

Level 31 Troll

i was jealous so i changed his title

Jalapeno Bootyhole Posted:

Hi guys,

I understand your frustration. With the recent influx of buildr noobs, there have been a lot of serial downvoters. I often look at the ratios and warn users, although it’s not an efficient way to deal with the problem. But while I don’t want to remove downvoting altogether, I think there should be some restrictions.

so you are planning on banning users for using a feature the way that you intended them to use it

haha wooah

Inertia

Avatar: 60995 Fri Apr 03 12:59:05 -0400 2009

[Shii is gay]

Level 35 Troll

also wow i have no male reproductive organ

My thing got from something like 24 to 9 in less than 24 hours

argh eliminate downvote asap

crayoncakes

[Team Shortbus]

Level 31 Troll

To Earthend and beyond!

You know… At the moment, there’s no real reason to vote, unless you’re downvoting the competition. Maybe some kind of reward for a certain amount of votes would be a good idea?

elenaratelim-
it

Avatar: 24791 2010-03-21 18:12:06 -0400

[Team Shortbus]

Level 44 Troll

chica bonita

I see no purpose for downvoting, besides it being a strategic tool used by some to get ideas they want ahead by penalizing other ideas and ‘neutralizing’ the upvotes they get, in this way voting things down has an incentive besides just downvoting ideas someone doesn’t like because they could downvote to give their own ideas a better chance regardless of their opinion on what they downvote (not to mention downvoting GOOD ideas would also fall into this category since they are more competition).

Also I think if people were limited in their ability to upvote main forum ideas for the forum that gets chosen that week, say only being able to use 5 votes a week, they would think more about what they choose to give their vote to since they can only support 5 things (or whatever number it is 5 is just an example).

PS – Banning people for downvote ratio is the worst idea ever because you can’t prove they are downvoting based on strategy or they TRULY BELIEVE EVERYTHING IS **** (amazing! but this can happen). I don’t see why people should be penalized for downvoting based on their ratio even if their ratio is negative.

Why do you want to waste more time – as moderators – fiddling about with giving a **** about ratios and then having all the hbumle that would come from banning people for this (because you know banning people can result in hbumles, tubmails and general wastes of time), rather than just eliminate downvoting altogether.

But hey if you want to hear more ****ing then go for it. But forcing people to feel like they HAVE to upvote things due to some sort of ratio is bs.

elenaratelimit edited this message on 11/19/2008 11:38AM

Catt although

Avatar: 46806 2022-11-29 03:06:42 +0000

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Last Catt Standing

meeeeeeeeee Posted:

I think this type of approach is definitely worth trying out – the point is to make the best forums right? How about a subforum for putting forward ideas, and letting people improve on them?

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!