Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
News The Road to Episode 2: Two Upcoming Features

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

There are two projects we’ve been working on that I think will keep Forumwarz a lot more interesting in between Episodes. Now before I say anything else I should remind you guys that these features are in development, and their designs have already changed a lot and will continue to change. Just because we say something in this thread does not mean the final products will necessarily do that.

The Forum Building App

The first major project will be a tool for you guys to collaboratively create your own forums. You will have access to a version of the madlib engine we use to generate our content, so you can write things like:

Evil trout is a @****ing @homosexual

And Forumwarz will randomly display it as something like “Evil Trout is a fellatio-performing fabulous personwad” (I actually just generated that using the tool).

Now, when I say collaboratively, the whole process will be anonymous and based on votes. Everyone working on the Forum will add their posts and replies based on the theme of the forum, and then will vote up or down the other content present. The highest voted stuff makes it in, the lowest get ditched.

Forumwarz Domination

The Domination game is what I referred to in the top secret hidden forum as the Klan game. People brought up some concerns with the idea, and we’ve gone back to the drawing board and I think we’ve come up with a game idea that will be really fun to play.

Basically how it will work is that certain challenges in the Forumwarz universe will reward you with cred points of various colors.

For example, pwning 4 different forums in a row without dying or leaving might give you a red point. Having your Klan pwn all the forums in the game might give you a blue point. Winning a 1000 bet against gamblor might give you a yellow point.

Once a week, everyone’s points are reset to zero to level the playing field. A prize is announced for winning the week’s domination. It might be Brownie Points or Flezz or maybe even a unique item.

Now the interesting part is the scoring. It is not a matter of the most points wins. The objective is to get the most majorities of points.

In other words, having the most points of any particular color means you have the majority of that color. But to win Forumwarz Domination you have to have more than one majority. So you will be competing with other players over the majorities of different colors of points.

So let’s say I had 10 red points, 3 blue and 2 yellow.

Another player might have 2 red, 4 blue and 3 yellow.

In that case, I’d have one majority (red), but they’d have two majorities (blue and yellow). So the other player would win, even though they only had 9 points total and I had 15!

On top of this, I’d like to give each player a few special abilities that they could use to change the dynamics of the game. Each player would be given the same abilities, something like:

– Steal a point from another player

– Change one of your points into another color

– Change another player’s points into another color

As always, we’d like to hear your thoughts on these, and any suggestions you might have. Again, I’ll re-iterate that we reserve the right to completely change our minds at any time about these Log in to see images!

Kelp Plankton

[Pumpkin Krew]

Level 13 Troll

Oooh look at me Im seasonal

The domination game sounds really really confusing. But is likely one of those things that needs to be experienced rather than explained.

I like the collaborative forum-building idea though. That sounds like a lot of fun.

Casey

[Team AWESOME]

Level 8 Re-Re

$pecial |n mai own littel way #/\/?

Would the voting on the forum posts be on-going after the forum was “created” so to speak?

so the forum would be getting new posts/getting rid of worse posts continually?

if so, you could add a little thumbs up/down while pwning ala youtube or digg or something to vote on the posts.

eponymous_en-
nui

[the abyss]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Kelp Plankton Posted:

The domination game sounds really really confusing. But is likely one of those things that needs to be experienced rather than explained.

I like the collaborative forum-building idea though. That sounds like a lot of fun.

I’ll try to explain the way I understand it and Trout can correct me if I’m wrong.

There are a couple of flavours to the points, each of which are bumociated with different activities. For instance, yellow with misc, blue with klan, red with personal forum pwnage. Each flavour also has certain achievements, which are the things that earn you the points. 10 red points to the person who dominates all the forums, for instance, while contribution to the Spoilerpedia gives you 1 yellow point per significant contribution.

At the end of the week, the player with the most points in most categories would win. If I have 30 red points but 0 points in blue and red, I probably wouldn’t win because I only lead in one category; however, the guy with 10 points of each flavour will take the prize since he is leading in two categories.

Trout, am I right in bumuming this is personal domination as opposed to klan domination? As in klan would only be one flavour of category, the rest being personal? Also, are the forums going to be personal (i.e. every one/every klan gets one) or a communal forum (i.e. a single “Flamebate” forum)?

eponymous_ennui edited this message on 12/08/2007 1:52PM

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

eponymous_ennui Posted:

I’ll try to explain the way I understand it and Trout can correct me if I’m wrong.

There are a couple of flavours to the points, each of which are bumociated with different activities. For instance, yellow with misc, blue with klan, red with personal forum pwnage. Each flavour also has certain achievements, which are the things that earn you the points. 10 red points to the person who dominates all the forums, for instance, while contribution to the Spoilerpedia gives you 1 yellow point per significant contribution.

At the end of the week, the player with the most points in most categories would win. If I have 30 red points but 0 points in blue and red, I probably wouldn’t win because I only lead in one category; however, the guy with 10 points of each flavour will take the prize since he is leading in two categories.

Yes this is exactly right. The core idea is “be the best at multiple things.” Sometimes I have a hard time explaining things but I think once the scoreboard is up people will understand it a lot better.

eponymous_ennui Posted:

Trout, am I right in bumuming this is personal domination as opposed to klan domination? As in klan would only be one flavour of category, the rest being personal? Also, are the forums going to be personal (i.e. every one/every klan gets one) or a communal forum (i.e. a single “Flamebate” forum)?

I see it more as a single player domination first, although there will be points awarded for doing thinks as a klan. Once it’s stable we’ll probably add a Klan specific version too.

The forum building app will launch as a communal system. People will submit ideas for forums and then others will vote them up or down. The topic that wins will be the forum for that week. Having said that we might want to break it up for future competitions, but the first version won’t work that way.

Casey Posted:

Would the voting on the forum posts be on-going after the forum was “created” so to speak?

so the forum would be getting new posts/getting rid of worse posts continually?

The plan for the first version is to have the design period end once the week is up.

Madacaek

[Fried Chikunz]

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Question about the forums: If they’re not good enough to become public, can we still keep them around on our account to play around with them?

PUBICDAWG

[7 VIBRATING DOLDOES]

Level 36 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Won’t having a flavor of points that’s exclusive to members of klans be unfair on those who aren’t in klans?

Vagitarian

[The Flamers of Loa-
thing
]

Level 10 Troll

Im a stupid ****wad

Interesting.

I was thinking co-op would be very hard to do (especially at the speed that regular pwning takes place). But having legions of people just WRECK a forum would be a fun game effect to have (perhaps simulated in a ‘cutscene’ when a klan rocks the **** out of a domination week?)

Kelp Plankton

[Pumpkin Krew]

Level 13 Troll

PUBICDAWG Posted:

Won’t having a flavor of points that’s exclusive to members of klans be unfair on those who aren’t in klans?

Not if it’s only used for klan-based competitions.

Cammy McCamw-

[the abyss]

Level 10 Camwhore

“Leave it to Cleavage”

PUBICDAWG Posted:

Anyone can create or join a klan, even if they’re the only ones in it. Log in to see images!

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

Madacaek Posted:

Question about the forums: If they’re not good enough to become public, can we still keep them around on our account to play around with them?

I’m not sure, I haven’t thought that far ahead yet. They won’t be deleted, so I imagine even if I don’t have the feature at first it can be added later.

PUBICDAWG Posted:

Not all types of points are equivalent in difficulty to obtain. Some will be relatively simple, others will be far more complex.

If you’re not in a Klan, you would just focus on the points that aren’t Klan related (of which there will be many). You wouldn’t be at a serious disadvantage, as the goal of the game is to be the best in several areas. While those Klan guys are going for their domination E-Peen™, you could be earning your own and gaining your own majorities.

PUBICDAWG

[7 VIBRATING DOLDOES]

Level 36 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Evil Trout Posted:

Not all types of points are equivalent in difficulty to obtain. Some will be relatively simple, others will be far more complex.

If you’re not in a Klan, you would just focus on the points that aren’t Klan related (of which there will be many). You wouldn’t be at a serious disadvantage, as the goal of the game is to be the best in several areas. While those Klan guys are going for their domination E-Peen™, you could be earning your own and gaining your own majorities.

I thought there were only going to be three or so flavors of points (as stated in the examples earlier), but it seems I was wrong. In retrospect, it would make more sense to have a good bit more than that. At this point, roughly how many point flavors do you think there will be?

While we’re on the subject, we should come up with a name for Domination points. Dompoints, perhaps?

PUBICDAWG edited this message on 12/09/2007 7:27PM

Kelp Plankton

[Pumpkin Krew]

Level 13 Troll

PUBICDAWG Posted:

While we’re on the subject, we should come up with a name for Domination points. Dompoints, perhaps?

Domination points.

Dompoints.

Doops.

Dupes? Doops. It fits. I vote for Doops. Different spelling on an MMO term that also is identifiable instantly as something seperate from Flezz and still sounds like a rather made up word.

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

PUBICDAWG Posted:

I thought there were only going to be three or so flavors of points (as stated in the examples earlier), but it seems I was wrong. In retrospect, it would make more sense to have a good bit more than that. At this point, roughly how many point flavors do you think there will be?

Yeah I should have been more clear, sorry. I’m aiming for about 5 different colors now, so that’s a good ballpark. If there’s too few it’s impossible to compete, if there’s too many it’s unmanageable.

Here’s what I’ve been thinking of:

Red – Forum Challenges (Pwn Forums without dying/leaving, speed challenges)

Yellow – Coverage Challenges (Get your name / Klan’s name on as many forums as possible)

Blue – Forum Building (you get points for getting your contributions voted up)

Black – Random Stuff (gambling, suicide)

White – Flamebate Contributions

They will probably change but that’s the kind of stuff I’m thinking can be rewarded. Two directly cover the attacking gameplay (R/Y), two cover community (BLU/W) and one is for people to screw around with (BLK).

As for the point name, I honestly hadn’t thought of it Log in to see images! The most important thing is that it doesn’t sound like anything else in the game. God knows we don’t have enough currencies yet!

Log in to see images! (Flezz, Cred, Brownie Points, Upgrade Points, Invite Tokens)

PUBICDAWG

[7 VIBRATING DOLDOES]

Level 36 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Kelp Plankton Posted:

Domination points.

Dompoints.

Doops.

Dupes? Doops. It fits. I vote for Doops. Different spelling on an MMO term that also is identifiable instantly as something seperate from Flezz and still sounds like a rather made up word.

The word ‘doop’ is already used in Futurama, as the acronym for the Democratic Order Of Planets. If Domination points are to have a distinctive name like Flezz, it should also be unique, also like Flezz. However, I like the fact that your ‘Doops’ is pluralized with an ’s’, unlike Flezz.

Edit: If you decide to release the text adventure creation tool, you should make it possible to get Blue Domination points with it as well as for using the forum creator, thus making Blue the general content creation flavor.

PUBICDAWG edited this message on 12/10/2007 5:12AM

Ryouga Inver-
se

[Team AWESOME]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Instead of yellow make it green for the Magic reference Log in to see images!

Seriously this sounds awesome Log in to see images!

Also to add some content, maybe you could also allow user-created attack messages? This wouldn’t work well for the image-based attacks (well, it’d work, just not AS well), but it’d be really awesome to have the same sort of interface for, say, Spoil or Insult, where every now and then I fire off those attacks and something new shows up (with the same 1-2 week trial periods)

Ryouga Inverse edited this message on 12/10/2007 1:38PM

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

Ryouga Inverse Posted:

Instead of yellow make it green for the Magic reference Log in to see images!

Seriously this sounds awesome Log in to see images!

Also to add some content, maybe you could also allow user-created attack messages? This wouldn’t work well for the image-based attacks (well, it’d work, just not AS well), but it’d be really awesome to have the same sort of interface for, say, Spoil or Insult, where every now and then I fire off those attacks and something new shows up (with the same 1-2 week trial periods)

Hah, well I picked Yellow for a reason. I’m Red/Green colorblind, so it makes it easier to distinguish between the red and green points Log in to see images!

Once the content creation stuff is in place and working, I could see us branching out to more user-submitted content for other areas of the site. I know that there are some attacks for Episode 2 we’ve done that would be very well suited to this.

Kelp Plankton

[Pumpkin Krew]

Level 13 Troll

Evil Trout Posted:

Hah, well I picked Yellow for a reason. I’m Red/Green colorblind, so it makes it easier to distinguish between the red and green points Log in to see images!

Oh thank god. Please keep that in mind for anything you do that needs colors to be distinguised from one another. I’m colorblind too.

This goes for any of you who make games! Oh please god please let people listen to me.

Ryouga Inver-
se

[Team AWESOME]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

That’s why I picked this avatar Log in to see images!

I’d say that it’d be pretty cool if you made the points also acgreat timesulate somewhere – so you have the weekly competitions, but you also have a store of them… and then those can be used in some other way ingame?

Ryouga Inverse edited this message on 12/10/2007 6:35PM

Cubear

[Team AWESOME]

Level 10 Camwhore

Tubmail me a picture of your male reproductive organ, and I'll send you several pics of my naked body from every angle.

does… does that mean that mario and luigi look the same to you guys..?

Cubear edited this message on 12/10/2007 8:40PM
Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!