Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Evil Trout Ep.2 creating imbalance in the game

Balloon

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Camwhore

Inflate my ovaries until they pop out of me and float away

Evil Trout Posted:

Like other areas of the site, Domination is due for a serious overhaul. In the past we talked about splitting up domination into cheater’s domination and regular domination for example, so even cheaters could play.

If we partition it that way, making Episode 1 and Episode 2 dominations might be possible too, it just takes some thought.

Honestly it’s not some scheme to get people to pay, it’s just that it’s not a trivial piece of code to split it up. It will take a lot of thought and planning. It’s important to me that people can continue to play forumwarz without paying for a while, otherwise I wouldn’t have re-distributed the forumbuildr forums to give all sorts of > level 10 areas to pwn outside of Episode 2.

As for the whole “other sites don’t ask for money” argument, really any browser game with more than 10k users pretty much has to, otherwise someone rich is running it out of generosity. We just hit 70k user accounts. We get 45 dynamic requests per second, and that flat out costs money to run.

The only difference is that we’re experimenting with charging money for storyline content, as opposed to game upgrades. It may or may not work in the long run — that remains to be seen. But I promise you this, the other browser MMOs are watching this experiment closely.

I like the cheater domination. You probably haven’t put down any hard and fast thoughts on it, but I would like you’d have to seperate brackets depending on what cheat they have. People with “game dolphin” have a much easier time with speedruns, where “shoot your wad” can ambum more pistachio and more lemon even without incredible times with speedruns.

But it’s just a future consideration.

momentumener-
gy

Level 35 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

but that would just mean the more “Shoot Your Wad” you buy, the better you are at domination. Bad idea imo.

asforoneday

Avatar: 71426 Sun Oct 19 16:57:02 -0400 2008

Level 35 Camwhore

“Legs Wide Open”

Yeah, and speed runs would just get to the point of whoever could click the game dolphin the quickest

(and I could see people creating progs to click it for them too)

P-doggie

Level 69 Emo Kid

“The Infinite Sadness”

The Suspender Posted:

Yeah, I understand why it costs money. I just think that people with money shouldn’t have an advantage in competition.

“people with money”??? If you mean people with the facility to donate a one time 10 measly bucks, sure, screw the “have-nots”. Get a job. Mow some lawns. Open up a free savings account. WTF?

Don’t mean to pick on you man, but I always hate hearing people **** about paying a paltry sum for something that someone put (and has to continue to put) a lot of hard work into. Hell, if you were one of the folks who created user content good enough to be included, I bet they’d even throw the 7 BP at you for free if you asked.

If they were selling scoops for BP, I’d call bull****, but I think it’s kinda sad that they even have to charge in the first place. That means there’s not enough regular players who donated on their own.

Inertia

Avatar: 60995 Fri Apr 03 12:59:05 -0400 2009

[Shii is gay]

Level 35 Troll

also wow i have no male reproductive organ

P-doggie Posted:

”people with money”??? If you mean people with the facility to donate a one time 10 measly bucks, sure, screw the “have-nots”. Get a job. Mow some lawns. Open up a free savings account. WTF?

Don’t mean to pick on you man, but I always hate hearing people **** about paying a paltry sum for something that someone put (and has to continue to put) a lot of hard work into. Hell, if you were one of the folks who created user content good enough to be included, I bet they’d even throw the 7 BP at you for free if you asked.

If they were selling scoops for BP, I’d call bull****, but I think it’s kinda sad that they even have to charge in the first place. That means there’s not enough regular players who donated on their own.

http://www.forumwarz.com/leaderboard/epeen/4

141 pages of donors

P-doggie

Level 69 Emo Kid

“The Infinite Sadness”

Just looking at the first 5 pages or so, it looks like well over 60% of that list are people over lvl 10. So how big was that list before Ep 2 came out? (I played through Ep 1 and went away, so I was a guilty first time donator, too).

Raepdog Posted:

Trout so far you have made the right choices. You unlike any other free browser game tsar do something different, you talk to us, you know us, you are one of us.

The KoL guys are cut from the same cloth, and TH’s creator seemed pretty cool too, though I haven’t been around either game for a while now. A fun game with high replay/frequent new content, and creator(s) who take the time to listen to the playerbase takes too much time & resources to be really “free”. Being text-based only means it’s cheaper. The KoL guys got lucky across the board, and have been able to keep donations high enough to never have to charge, but donation items do have a pretty big impact on competitive play.

If trout can keep the content flowing, getting $10 from nearly everyone 2x a year or whatever, instead of getting $10 from a small part of the population every month, sweet!

silent x tea-
rs

Level 20 Emo Kid

“Moan-a Lisa”

Inertia Posted:

http://www.forumwarz.com/leaderboard/epeen/4

141 pages of donors

“That means there’s not enough regular players who donated on their own.”

People donate to buy Ep2 so the 141 pages of “donors” is irrelevant. What would be relevant is how many pages of donors there were before Ep2 was even in beta testing.

scully

Avatar: 12797 2015-07-20 16:59:13 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

Since someone dragged this thing up I would like to say – yes, I think everyone should make the donation and get Ep 2 because it’s pretty damn good.

For those concerned about Domination being skewed, I disagree. There are a large number of forums that are available to all clbumes – paid or not – that can be run for lemons. Point blank: it does not matter what you wear when you run Denture Chat – you can one shot every thread as any clbum. Take 3 anchor forums, run Denture for solo vanilla. Yes, I realize that more forums are available for longer pistachio loops for paid players. With 36 visits per week, it can only make a decent difference every other week, and frankly can be compensated for by gambling, since no one really bothers with gambling for scoops.

Also, just to point it out again. $10. Not the end of the world to help support a game you enjoy and unlock some neat bonus content.

rofloldude

Level 11 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

I’m poor, can sum1 give me some BP plz??Log in to see images!

SIG-ENABLING-
-MOCK-CONGLER

Avatar: 25677 Tue Mar 31 17:59:16 -0400 2009

Level 35 Emo Kid

purchace championchips

Irascible Posted:

By your own logic, those who do not have money for things BY NATURE should be at a disadvantage. There are a few flaws in your thought process, mon amie.

Those who do not have money to buy things ARE at a disadvantage.

The problem here is that too many people are complaining that they aren’t getting enough game content for free.

Read that again; they’re complaining that they aren’t getting enough for free.

For free.

Episode 1 is completely free. This is awesome.

All of the multiplayer content is free. This is also awesome.

Dozens of people (myself included) have created BP contests, and those are free to play. Hell, the one I ran was for 10 BP, enough to pay for Episode 2 & create a new character as well.

That was awesome.

Now, where is the unfairness? That the Episode 2 players have access to better items than Episode 1 players? When is this an issue? Only in Domination. And we’ve already seen the proposal to solve this, and ET’s explanation about that proposal.

Everything else here is just people whining about not getting enough cool stuff for free.

Be grateful for what you’ve received for free.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!