Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Rant Domination changes

Amasius

Avatar: 21158 2015-06-13 23:07:57 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

OMFG! It is MY bum!

Bingebot started a lot of new threads to discuss possible changes of domination, but while many ideas are interesting and worth concidering I think that it is pointless to change the rules of domination so drastically (and it would be a nightmare to balance so many changes at once) without eliminating the three big problems domination has at the moment:

1.) Overpowered klan raiding, you only have to have enough alts to literally buy medals

2.) Players with two, three or even four alts in the same bracket

3.) A ridiculous distribution of players into the brackets. Brackets with only one person in them? What the hell? And the lowest brackets are way to big with almost 100 persons. They should be bigger because many people there only unintentionally got some scoops and don’t compete, but certainly not so big that it probably dicourages many people from even starting to play domination.

Without fixing these problems all other changes would make the situation only worse.

scully

Avatar: 12797 2015-07-20 16:59:13 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

I do agree that all those things are a problem, but each thing is a problem only for a very specific group of players.

Klan vanilla is currently only having a serious impact on the top bracket. That doesn’t make it less of a problem, particularly since it tends to have a serious effect on the most dedicated Domination players, but it is only a problem for 15 or so players a week. I think it’s the most frustrating point for a lot of players because the game has been designed to prevent characters from interacting to give a game altering advantage. Can’t send items or flezz to yourself or your buddy, right? Alts can’t vote on a main’s ideas in INCIT or forumbuildr. Yet, klan vanilla allows a player to use their other characters to exclusively benefit their main. That’s a pretty large advantage.

Alts in the same bracket. Not as much of a medal guarantee as klan vanilla, but an obviously huge advantage that impacts the top 6 or so brackets.

Death pods. Impact a lot of players. In conjunction with the limited medals, probably the most discouraging thing going when looking at encouraging a new player to participate in the Domination end game.

I think BINGE is trying to come up with several improvements / changes to the game that will make things more fun for the majority of players, not just one specific group or type of player. The medal/theme/card threads are listed as adjustments that are being considered along with several other mechanics adjustments in this post.

Amasius

Avatar: 21158 2015-06-13 23:07:57 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

OMFG! It is MY bum!

scullyangel Posted:

I do agree that all those things are a problem, but each thing is a problem only for a very specific group of players.

Klan vanilla is currently only having a serious impact on the top bracket. That doesn’t make it less of a problem, particularly since it tends to have a serious effect on the most dedicated Domination players, but it is only a problem for 15 or so players a week.

That’s the status quo, but do you remember the start of this season? Everybody was in the medal-less brackets and you had no chance to win shinies against the klan raiders. Well, you were a raider back then so you haven’t experienced how frustrating that was. The problem will be smaller next season because alt towers are abolished (most important fix for dom so far!), but it is certainly discouraging for new players to compete with people who have hundreds of scoops. Many will likely stop playing after finishing Episode 2 if they’d have to wait weeks before they even have a chance to win something.

scullyangel Posted:

Alts in the same bracket. Not as much of a medal guarantee as klan vanilla, but an obviously huge advantage that impacts the top 6 or so brackets.

Again, with the new season this will affect the lower brackets for weeks. Time enough for people to lose interest.

scullyangel Posted:

Death pods. Impact a lot of players. In conjunction with the limited medals, probably the most discouraging thing going when looking at encouraging a new player to participate in the Domination end game.

I’m not sure what’s more discouraging – being in a gigantic bracket where most people have only a few scoops or playing against people who have hundreds of scoops – and this will happen if nothing changes. Both together…

scullyangel Posted:

I think BINGE is trying to come up with several improvements / changes to the game that will make things more fun for the majority of players, not just one specific group or type of player. The medal/theme/card threads are listed as adjustments that are being considered along with several other mechanics adjustments in this post.

Like I said – the fundamental problems domination has atm will affect all players when the new season begins. It doesn’t matter how many new cards or fancy themes there are if you don’t have a realistic chance to win anyway.

scully

Avatar: 12797 2015-07-20 16:59:13 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

I zoned on the season reset, of course smashing everyone together again will be a problem and bring the alt/klan problems into everyone’s game. Log in to see images!

If other changes can’t hit right away, maybe it wouldn’t be terribly hard to code bracket size to a max of 20 players per bracket from the start of the season? It doesn’t solve the problem, but it would pretty solidly limit it to one week against the unmedaled newbies.

Adeptus

Avatar: 11389 Thu Oct 16 15:20:36 -0400 2008

[Board of Directors]

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

Amasius Posted:

The problem will be smaller next season because alt towers are abolished (most important fix for dom so far!), but it is certainly discouraging for new players to compete with people who have hundreds of scoops. Many will likely stop playing after finishing Episode 2 if they’d have to wait weeks before they even have a chance to win something

I’m not disagreeing with this, since it definitely will be a problem for people in lower groups, but I don’t think it’s quite as bad as you’re making out. If some of these extra medals come into play then it’ll only be a couple of weeks before the raiders are all out of the lower brackets anyway. Bringing back limited numbers of ties (probably a bad idea… ) or making the lower brackets much smaller would probably help too as all the chaos will mostly be over by the end of the first week.

How many klan vanilla raiders are there left at this point? 10 or 20? As far as I can tell, most of the people in the top few brackets are alts or skilled solo players. Now, they’ll almost certainly cause some carnage as they move up the rankings too, but that’s a whole different discussion (and still should sort itself out fairly quickly).

Frankly the start of a new season’s always gonna be a bit of a mess for the first few weeks until people settle into their appropriate places. At least this season won’t be nearly as bad as the last with alt towers gone.

Edit: Hurr. Me no have reading comprehension. Scully already said all this, and much more succinctly too.

Adeptus edited this message on 10/08/2008 11:35AM
Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!