Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Feature Update: The re-balancing

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

I’ve been hard at work this week on re-balancing Forumwarz. I figured I’d just post an update to let you guys know that progress is being made, even though it’s a little slow moving.

I’ve been crunching lots of data and coming up with neat graphs, for example, this is an approximated difficulty curve:

As you can see, as many people had already figured out the Emo clbum has a bit of an advantage. Sadly it’ll be nerf time for them.

It’s kind of convenient that Thanksgiving is coming up this weekend for you American players, because it means that it will be a good time to deploy what I’ve been working on. I think some of the changes will be drastic, which might be annoying for those who are half way through episode 1.

However I think it’ll be good for the long run to have a better balanced game with a smooth difficulty curve Log in to see images!

Update: We’re going to take a little longer on this update to add even more in, see below.

Evil Trout edited this message on 11/23/2007 3:50PM

Halberd

[Emo Is The Lonelie-
st Number
]

Level 34 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

Can we get a skill reset if we’re going to be nerfed?

Hamelin

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Yes! Skill resets all around!

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

Yup, everyone will get a reset by default, I think I’ll probably send a tubmail explaining this (when it happens).

Evil Trout edited this message on 11/22/2007 5:18PM

Ixiru

[Trolls F T W]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

So, everyone’s going to keep their levels, and then just get the skill points all over again?

Cubear

[Team AWESOME]

Level 10 Camwhore

Tubmail me a picture of your male reproductive organ, and I'll send you several pics of my naked body from every angle.

Evil Trout Posted:

I’ve been hard at work this week on re-balancing Forumwarz. I figured I’d just post an update to let you guys know that progress is being made, even though it’s a little slow moving.

I’ve been crunching lots of data and coming up with neat graphs, for example, this is an approximated difficulty curve:

As you can see, as many people had already figured out the Emo clbum has a bit of an advantage. Sadly it’ll be nerf time for them.

It’s kind of convenient that Thanksgiving is coming up this weekend for you American players, because it means that it will be a good time to deploy what I’ve been working on. I think some of the changes will be drastic, which might be annoying for those who are half way through episode 1.

However I think it’ll be good for the long run to have a better balanced game with a smooth difficulty curve Log in to see images!

is this rebalancing going to affect re-res at all?

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

Ixiru Posted:

So, everyone’s going to keep their levels, and then just get the skill points all over again?

That’s the plan. I’m also going to be changing the cred required for reaching some levels, but as long as you’ve reached it already it shouldn’t be a problem.

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

Cubear Posted:

is this rebalancing going to affect re-res at all?

It will, since I’m adjusting how offense/defense works.

With the old forumla, an offense of 8 would do about 20 damage for a re-re attack. Now it does about 10.

However, with the old one defense was almost completely useless (what was I thinking?), so that should make up for it a little bit.

The re-re challenge is fun, but I’m more interested in making the game experience smooth for the three main clbumes for now Log in to see images!

Halberd

[Emo Is The Lonelie-
st Number
]

Level 34 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

You’re toning offense down so that it will be even harder and take even longer to pwn forums while requiring more items?

That doesn’t sound like it’s going to make the game fun at all, and no one will bother spending 5/10/20 points for +1 offense if it doesn’t give a good pay-off for the mbumive amount of points that go into it. And grinding each individual thread longer than it took before seems potentially boring.

Halberd edited this message on 11/23/2007 12:37PM

Hightax

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

The man said he’d also be buffing defense. In all likelyhood, it should balance out, though as you and I are of the fairer player clbum, we’re going to take a hit all around, which is alright, even though I haven’t been kicking bum even up unto this point.

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

Halberd Posted:

You’re toning offense down so that it will be even harder and take even longer to pwn forums while requiring more items?

That doesn’t sound like it’s going to make the game fun at all, and no one will bother spending 5/10/20 points for +1 offense if it doesn’t give a good pay-off for the mbumive amount of points that go into it. And grinding each individual thread longer than it took before seems potentially boring.

Hightax beat me to it, but defense is also being buffed. Also, many items are more effective. The changes are quite significant. My goals are:

Fix issues with difficulty curve

Make all clbumes more even

Reduce the amount of items you need to take in battle

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

Update

After talking with Jalapeno I’ve decided to work on this update a little longer. We’re going to use it as an excuse to address some other issues people have been having with Episode 1, so it’ll actually include a lot more than re-balanced stats.

It will also include posts for consumables, so when you take drugs you’ll get a response. Battle make more sense as a result. There’s a lot of writing involved in this which is the main reason we won’t deploy this weekend.

Also, you’ll get quoted in forums which I think adds a lot to the experience!

I’d also like to include a few surprises if we can squeeze em in Log in to see images!

Ixiru

[Trolls F T W]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

So, we’d get our upgrade points, but what about people who have excess from a level up? For instance, I have 12 points left over from the latest jump.

DemonMage

[Prettiest Unicorn -
Squad
]

Level 17 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

You get X amount of upgrade points per level. All upgrade points are reset, and you’re granted those points from each level. Whether you spent them at level up, or let them carry into the next one, your grand total of points is the same for each person of each level.

BigJesus

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Halberd Posted:

That doesn’t sound like it’s going to make the game fun at all, and no one will bother spending 5/10/20 points for +1 offense if it doesn’t give a good pay-off for the mbumive amount of points that go into it.

I have to echo this, actually. Maybe it was just me, but most of the time I almost felt putting points into offense/defense was wasteful, as the change in damage seemed negligible after the first few forums.

Cubear

[Team AWESOME]

Level 10 Camwhore

Tubmail me a picture of your male reproductive organ, and I'll send you several pics of my naked body from every angle.

BigJesus Posted:

I have to echo this, actually. Maybe it was just me, but most of the time I almost felt putting points into offense/defense was wasteful, as the change in damage seemed negligible after the first few forums.

I felt damage was worth it, defense less so.

What I feel bad about purchasing were my sexiness upgrades.

+5 +10 +15

doesn’t really help much when my most used attacks are 6 and 8 sexiness.

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

BigJesus Posted:

The goal is to make the game more balanced and smooth to play, not more difficult and boring Log in to see images!

Razor

Level 21 Troll

“Li'l Hellraiser”

Skill reset will be for all clbumes, or just for Emo Kids?

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

Razor Posted:

Skill reset will be for all clbumes, or just for Emo Kids?

All clbumes. And then it’ll stick around as a service you can do any time you want (for flezz).

Troller

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Is there a date for this re-balancing?

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!