Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Art (D&D 3.0) The City

genericangst-
yposter

[the abyss]

Level 9 Troll

“Jerk Chicken”

That’s fine with me. Time to go forth and do… stuff!

He rolls move silently (9) as well as search (10). He might have set off a few of them, but that doesn’t guarantee he hit every one.

eponymous_en-
nui

[the abyss]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

OOC: Sorry for the late response, guys. University got in the way. That said…

genericangstyposter Posted:

He rolls move silently (9) as well as search (10). He might have set off a few of them, but that doesn’t guarantee he hit every one.

The torches steadily light the way for some way ahead of you, and there seems to be torches in brackets at regular intervals. That disturbs you on some fundamental level: the residents of this place must obviously be intelligent on some level, no matter how primitive they would be otherwise, and intelligence usually means trouble. Especially when you’re unwanted guests in their territory. Territory that, one might add, you have absolutely no idea about.

Zakarion: You pick up a draft of cold air coming up from ahead of you, and what sounds to be water dripping against raw earth. You also notice strange claw marks on the stone floor in some spots, likely to be made by a small and nimble creature given how far they’re spaced out from each other. You don’t think the others have noticed this, but you’re not sure if pointing this out would alarm them unnecessarily.

The walls begin to look rougher as you walk down the corridor for what feels like nearly half a mile, and the stones become increasingly uneven. You get the feeling that you might be descending yet deeper into the complex, as if you were descending in a spiral… in fact, the only thing that keeps you from wondering if you were actually walking in a circle is the fact that the architecture is actually continually changing. You feel as if you were receiving a crash course in art history, seeing how stonework slowly gives way to nothing more than mere dirt held up by scaffolding.

Voaer: There doesn’t seem to be any traps down the pbumage way. Unlikely, anyway, given how if the place is lit there must be obviously regular travel through these parts. Regardless, you remain vigilant: who knows what you might find down here?

The intervals between torch brackets- this time built into the wooden supports holding the roof up- become longer and longer. Beneath one nearly a mile (by your best approximations) in, you find some scribbling in Draconic beneath a post.

“Dorvius is a huge bumhole.”

Wha? What kind of sick graffiti joke is that? Your move.

Sabre_Justice

[the abyss]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Zak chuckles a little at the graffiti, after hearing it explained. “School, army or dungeons… some things just don’t change.” It’s a welcome relief from the tension, if only for a moment. “But to be serious, does anyone know where this might be from? I have a few ideas…”

genericangst-
yposter

[the abyss]

Level 9 Troll

“Jerk Chicken”

“YOU have some ideas? That’s several more than I have. Go ahead.”

Sabre_Justice

[the abyss]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

“You really want to know? Well… there’s signs of small creatures running around here, we’re deep underground, and the graffiti in Draconic… it might be kobolds. I’ve tangled with them before…”

genericangst-
yposter

[the abyss]

Level 9 Troll

“Jerk Chicken”

“Oh. Kobolds. I’ve had them before. They’re delicious. Also some are good in bed.”

“Uhh… I mean… their corpses. They make good bedding, when you gut them.”

genericangstyposter edited this message on 11/23/2007 11:42PM

Sabre_Justice

[the abyss]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Zak can’t decide which is the more disturbing. “Uh… I’ll take your word for it. I do know the little buggers are quick and nasty. Like goblins, but smarter. And they’re great with traps. Though we haven’t found any of those yet…”

Night Gaunt

[the abyss]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

“Heh. I wonder if that gnome has already found the kobolds then?”

Sabre_Justice

[the abyss]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Zak thought for a moment, then shuddered slightly. “Ooh… from I remember, kobolds HATE gnomes… But anyway, we could be way off. So stay wary… we’d better keep going. The only way is down.”

eponymous_en-
nui

[the abyss]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Sabre_Justice Posted:

Zak thought for a moment, then shuddered slightly. “Ooh… from I remember, kobolds HATE gnomes… But anyway, we could be way off. So stay wary… we’d better keep going. The only way is down.”

And, saying so, you suddenly realise that the wooden supports on the right walls are becoming more and more sparse, unlike the ones to your left which still continue on at regular intervals. You peer ahead: in the dim light, it seems that the right wall terminates about a few hundred paces ahead of you, if the sudden lack of torch light is anything to judge by.

The torches begin to flicker, as if there was a reasonably strong draft down that way. Instinctively you feel your pace slow down even as you grip your weapon a little tighter, unable to explain the sudden knot of fear in your stomach. But you don’t have to wonder any more: the right wall does end. The three of you peer over the edge…

”The only way is down.”

The entire pbumage is shaped to be a spiral around a central air well, the source of the strong down draft that you are all feeling now. It’s a long way down, about a mile or two: that in itself would normally be enough to explain the gulp of air you suddenly feel like you need to take, but what you do see scares you even more.

At the bottom of the spiral lies the colossal bleached form of a dragon skeleton, still set in gentle repose as if it were curled up asleep. More than that, though, you see kobolds: hundreds of kobolds, scurrying all over the skeletal frame of the dragon, all of them fighting and screaming and mating and quarrelling. The racket is terrible, that you can even hear it from your perch, but the smell is worse: masking even the stench of rot is the overpowering stink of filth and hundreds of unwashed bodies pressed together in a tight, enclosed space.

Seated upon the skull of the dragon himself is a kobold, larger than the rest of his brethren and actually clothed in something more than a loincloth. Simple guesswork tells you that he’s their leader, and the two equally-large kobolds by his side likely to be his bodyguards. For a moment you wonder why you’re able to see so clearly in this gloom, then you realise that the entire pit is lit with torches all around, almost one at every ten paces.

genericangst-
yposter

[the abyss]

Level 9 Troll

“Jerk Chicken”

“How in the bloody Hell are we supposed to go THAT way… not that we really want to. I mean, I can handle a few kobolds, but this is ridiculous. Perhaps there is another way around? One that… smells a bit better? And that doesn’t involve falling to our certain deaths?”

Night Gaunt

[the abyss]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

“I vote not walking into a spiral shaped death trap,” he says firmly. “I’m going to have to agree we go back and look for another route.”

Sabre_Justice

[the abyss]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

“I can’t believe I was actually right.” says Zak, still staring. “Any sign of our gnome friend?”

genericangst-
yposter

[the abyss]

Level 9 Troll

“Jerk Chicken”

Jason’s face lights up. “I have a bizarre idea. Kobolds are pretty stupid. Check that… they’re unbelievably stupid. If we had a way to project my voice, I could emulate the ‘voice’ of that great dragon’s skull, and command them to help the travelers up there, lest they be cursed. I can speak draconic, and I can easily disguise my voice. I have an invisibility potion. My voice could probably echo down there, but if we had a spell or a cone of some sort to amplify my voice, then it would be all the more convincing. The downside is that, if it doesn’t work, it will alert them to our presence. But even then, they certainly wouldn’t take the more spiraly way, they’d come to US, and likely only a few at a time. They’d be easily taken. What do you say?”

Night Gaunt

[the abyss]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

“I’m sorry I thought you said you had a ‘bizarre idea’ instead of a ‘bad idea’. In either case, I’m not going to risk my life if it’s not necessary. I would still rather find another route first before trying to convince these beasts that we’re the ghost of the dragon they may or may not actually respect.”

Sabre_Justice

[the abyss]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

“I disagree.” says Zak. “I think his plan has merit, though I do admit it’s highly risky. The last thing I remember about kobolds is that they practically worship dragons. And even if it fails…” Zak holds up his halberd, which glints in the torchlight. “I think we can take a few kobolds if we need to.”

”...though we might want to have an escape route anyway.”

Night Gaunt

[the abyss]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

“Yes! Escape plan! We are practically trapped here and I bet you anything those damn kobolds know their way around this place a hell of a lot better than we do. So before we try any stupid plans let’s go back and see if there’s any other route we can take because you know, I’m running at the first sign that those things are going to attack. I’m not going to die in some stinking hole in the ground because some damnable elf thought it’d be a great laugh to send us down here!” he whispers hoarsely obviously getting a little panicky.

Sabre_Justice

[the abyss]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

I finally altered my profile on the first page to fit, it was a wee bit outdated. Still couldn’t figure out how to get the italics to work on the background.

“Alright then.” says Zak. “Let’s go and look around.”

eponymous_en-
nui

[the abyss]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Sabre_Justice Posted:

”Alright then.” says Zak. “Let’s go and look around.”

It’ll take you a good half hour to trace your way back to the first cell before the stone gave way to packed dirt, and even then you’ll have to check out every single jail cell along the path individually that may or may not have a “secret” exit out. Chances are, though, that you probably would not find anything that way: and the gods alone know how far down the earth you are right now. It might take a long while before you find the surface, and… well, a place to sleep wouldn’t be hard to find, given the number of spare cells, but food may run out before you next see the sun.

Still, you could go ahead with that plan if you like. Have a bit of discussion and post your final decision in italics when you’re sure. Log in to see images!

Night Gaunt

[the abyss]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Admit it. You’re just trying to kill the whole party. Log in to see images!

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!