Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Art (D&D 3.0) The City

Night Gaunt

[the abyss]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

“I look forward to the unarmed prisoner versus the armed guard brawl then.” He glances at the other cell and lowers his voice. “And call me paranoid but I worry that annoying gnome might give our plan away.”

Sabre_Justice

[the abyss]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Zak cracked his knuckles. “Heh heh heh, don’t underestimate the advantage of surprise… though we might have to do something about that gnome.” Zak looked to the gnome in the opposing cell.

genericangst-
yposter

[the abyss]

Level 9 Troll

“Jerk Chicken”

Jason speaks quietly to the duo: “Perhaps we should just gag the bastard. Or let him run free, as a distraction. They’ll probably kill him. If we can just convince him to go out there first….”

Sabre_Justice

[the abyss]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

“Not a bad idea…” said Zak. “Whatever we’re doing, let’s do it quickly.”

Night Gaunt

[the abyss]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

“That’s a surprisingly intelligent plan. Would you have problems picking another lock with that string?”

igreat timestears

[Suicide Pact]

Level 6 Emo Kid

Hawaiian great timesthirstypedo furfabulous person

OOC: OOPS… AGAIN!

icumtears edited this message on 11/19/2007 12:06AM

genericangst-
yposter

[the abyss]

Level 9 Troll

“Jerk Chicken”

“No, but it would take quite a while… it wouldn’t be ideal. A wire or a pin would be excellent right about now. Of course, if it was the same type of lock, it would be a great deal easier, but they’d have to be pretty stupid to have the same key for both this door, and the one to the outside. It all depends if the plans were designed by a noble, or by the one who runs the prison. In my experience, not that I do this TERRIBLY often, or anything, if it’s designed by a warden, then we’ll have a more difficult time. They know what they’re doing, of course, since it’s their job. A noble would be more likely to use one key, as it ‘saves money.’”

Sabre_Justice

[the abyss]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

“Can we just hurry up and settle on a plan?!” said Zak with increasing urgency.

genericangst-
yposter

[the abyss]

Level 9 Troll

“Jerk Chicken”

“I think that we all have the right intentions, here. Just get the gnome up there, and we’ll be fine. If he doesn’t go up… well… I’m pretty sure that we could do some pretty nasty things, to a little gnome, especially if we worked together.” Grin.

Sabre_Justice

[the abyss]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

“All right, then hurry up and check the other lock. And we might want to keep an eye on that elf while we’re at it…”

genericangst-
yposter

[the abyss]

Level 9 Troll

“Jerk Chicken”

I roll Move Silently, 9, and if that is successful, I check the lock, which I bumume will take no roll.

eponymous_en-
nui

[the abyss]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

genericangstyposter Posted:

I roll Move Silently, 9, and if that is successful, I check the lock, which I bumume will take no roll.

You push the door to your cell open with a slight creak, and the gnome stirs from his catatonia.

“Ohgodohgodpleaseletmeoutohgodpleaseyouhavetoletmeout…”

He’s really beginning to get on your nerves. At least he isn’t being too noisy about his incessant pleading, annoying though it might be. The guards (two? three? maybe more?) upstairs hasn’t moved since the last ruckus; that, at least, is of some small comfort.

The blind elf with the gnome, though, is beginning to be a little unsettling. Right now he’s staring straight at you through that grubby bloodied blindfold and grinning to himself, as if he knows something that you don’t know.

The lock’s of the same make as the one you just picked; looks like they were more concerned about budget than they were with security. You can either roll or take 20; the former will, of course, be much faster, but you still suffer a substantial penalty from using a shoelace. Your choice, ultimately.

igreat timestears

[Suicide Pact]

Level 6 Emo Kid

EDIT: DURPA DURRRRR I’M A COMPLETE IDIOT!

icumtears edited this message on 11/19/2007 7:35AM

genericangst-
yposter

[the abyss]

Level 9 Troll

“Jerk Chicken”

I take my chances with rolling (10). I’m confident that I know the lock, now. If that fails horribly, I take 20.

eponymous_en-
nui

[the abyss]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

I take my chances with rolling (10). I’m confident that I know the lock, now. If that fails horribly, I take 20.

You approach the opposite jail cell’s lock and the gnome gushes with relief.

“Ohthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou…”

With your trusty shoelace, you start to pick at the lock. #3s never really confounded you, even though you knew many people who were stumped even by a #5 basic configuration; you always had that peculiar sensitivity of touch vital to “locksmiths” everywhere. All the same, you wish you had your rake and tension lever- you would have had this damned thrice-blasted cur-

You jump as you feel a hand on your shoulder. Instinctively you spin around, hand reaching for a weapon- any weapon- but coming up empty. You almost bolt before you realise, heart still pounding in your chest, that’s it’s just the blind elf, face mere inches away from your own.

“The guards won’t be by for another three hours. You can take your time.”

The smile flickers on and then off again just as suddenly, as if a switch was flipped somewhere behind the blindfold. You can feel your goosebumps rise on your arms even as you repress a shudder from being so close to him. There’s an unnatural symmetry to his face, even for an elf, that is both unnerving and alien at the same time, as if that smooth perfection was hiding something yet more sinister beneath it: from the smooth ridge of his nose to the thin, flat lips, you can find no flaw save for its flawlessness.

“May I enquire, out of pure academic interest, what do you intend to do with the gnome after you release him as a distraction?” The gnome shoots the both of you a look of pure terror. “After you kill the three guards above you, then what?”

The gnome whimpers softly, but the elf ignores him and continues.

“What I mean is, do you even know your way out of this place? There must be close to ten levels to the dungeon complex, some of which abruptly end in dead falls and guard quarters.” It’s true; in your half-conscious stupor, you remember being brought down a long way before ending up in this cell. The smile flickers on again.

What now, my valiant adventurers?

igreat timestears

[Suicide Pact]

Level 6 Emo Kid

EDIT: ...

icumtears edited this message on 11/19/2007 12:14PM

genericangst-
yposter

[the abyss]

Level 9 Troll

“Jerk Chicken”

Clearly, the plan had to be elucidated for the poor fellow. “Well, clearly, we should find where our goods have been confiscated to, even before we killed the guard. And where did you get the idea that the gnome was to be a distraction? I merely thought it would be best for him to scout ahead as he seems the best suited to the cause. I mean, look at how tall I am. Do you think that it’s terribly easy for me to hide? Of course not. That is why We must rely on the help of our friend, here. I’m sorry that you seem to have misunderstood my intentions, kindly one. Of course, there is a risk involved, but I believe that we are all quite capable of handling ourselves if we work together. If we find any other things which could aid us, such as gold, then we will split it as evenly as possible, just as a team should. I don’t see why that is unreasonable. Also, we don’t seem to have terribly much choice in the matter, as there is only one exit that isn’t death. I’m certain that all of us would rather take our chances with the guards than with the hangman.”

eponymous_en-
nui

[the abyss]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Clearly, the plan had to be elucidated for the poor fellow. “Well, clearly, we should find where our goods have been confiscated to, even before we killed the guard. And where did you get the idea that the gnome was to be a distraction? I merely thought it would be best for him to scout ahead as he seems the best suited to the cause. I mean, look at how tall I am. Do you think that it’s terribly easy for me to hide? Of course not. That is why We must rely on the help of our friend, here. I’m sorry that you seem to have misunderstood my intentions, kindly one. Of course, there is a risk involved, but I believe that we are all quite capable of handling ourselves if we work together. If we find any other things which could aid us, such as gold, then we will split it as evenly as possible, just as a team should. I don’t see why that is unreasonable. Also, we don’t seem to have terribly much choice in the matter, as there is only one exit that isn’t death. I’m certain that all of us would rather take our chances with the guards than with the hangman.”

“Ah. I apologise. I had bumumed that you would set the gnome free first, so that in his peculiar frenzy he would lead the guards on a chase that you might be able to retrieve your equipment and, thus, escape this place.” The gnome trembles. “That is, after all, the most logical thing to do, given how the gnome has done nothing but aggravate all of us since his being admitted here.” Again, the weird half-smile.

“However, may I point out some inadvertent flaws in your plan? Firstly: you have no idea where your weapons have been confiscated to. Searching the complex would take a substantial amount of time, and your absence will surely be noticed by the patrols in due time. Unless you plan to make a stand against them with nothing more than your wit and a gnomish limb”- whimper-”I would advise against that course of action.

“Secondly: I fear you underestimate the size of the complex. Making your way through them, albeit with your fine companions, will no doubt great timesulate only in your eventual demise. That would be extremely undesirable for me indeed.” He leans back into the shadows of the cell but you can almost feel the half-smile turn on, almost out of force of habit.

“I, however, would be able to solve both of those problems in a single fell swoop.”

genericangst-
yposter

[the abyss]

Level 9 Troll

“Jerk Chicken”

“And what do YOU propose we do, if you understand this place so much.” Jason doesn’t like it when people steal his thunder.

eponymous_en-
nui

[the abyss]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

“A rather simple thing, really. As some of you humans say, ‘you scratch my back, I’ll scratch your back’. Metaphorically speaking, of course, given how I do not require my back literally scratched, and how even if I did I am fully capable of doing so myself. But you understand, I believe.”

The blind elf pauses for a moment, as if in thought.

“I digress. Yes, I do require a small thing to be done. It is a trifle, nothing of any true importance, but it is of sentimental value to me and I would appreciate it retrieved.” Voaer: The elf is a terrible liar. “As I understand it, this complex is new: a mere three hundred years old as you reckon time. They were built over a far older set of catacombs, one that was carved out of this land’s very foundations even before your City was settled. These catacombs has served many purposes in the past, from dwarven burial chambers to temporary storage facilities and even as sewers; most recently, however, they were pressed into service by a group of smugglers who used them to transport goods in and out of the City during the War.

“On one of their trips, they were attacked, and part of that cargo was lost in the process. Amongst that lost cargo is a small cedar chest: this is the item that concerns me right now, and I am desirous of its return. What I propose is straightforward enough: as a show of my goodwill, I will show you a way to retrieve your equipment without the guards detecting you. You may then take your chances by killing your way out of this dungeon complex and risk the City Watch coming after you once they detect your disappearance and subsequent mbumacre, or fetch me said item from the catacombs.

“I promise you that, should you do this small thing for me, you will be able to depart from these prison cells without any trouble. There will be no repercussions from the City Watch as long as you stay low and remain inconspicuous; this I can guarantee you, upon my word and honour. The choice, however, is yours alone.”

Saying so, he reaches into his robes and retrieves a tiny silver bell, which he tinkles softly. Nothing appears to happen, but he returns the bell to his robes and flashes the half-smile at the three of you, waiting expectantly for your answer. The gnome, with his usual uselessness, has returned to being curled up in a foetal position on the floor.

Zakarion: You’ve heard of these catacombs; Vlel was buried there when he died. As for the smugglers, there were some rumours, but wars are always rife with rumours anyway.

Cenbuma: Your hackles rose when the bell tinkled, for no apparent reason.

Cenbuma: You’ve heard of these “catacombs”; really, it’s just the old City sewers. You’ve seen a couple of the blueprints in the Academy library and heard of some of the younger apprentices going “adventuring” there occasionally. As far as you know, all of them returned in one piece. The question remains, though: why does this elf not go get it himself?

God that was a long exposition. Thank god he’s not a villain… or is he? Your move, adventurers.
Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!