Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Poll Lowest level last mission has been completed? [spoilers?]

Seerow

[Elitist Superstruc-
ture
]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

I’m just curious as to what the lowest level the last mission has been finished at. I’m currently a level 8 troll, with lots of spare money, if I bought a ton of XRXR’s with my money, I’m pretty certain I could take it. (I took out two threads then got pwned cause I took a risk in attacking rather than healing thinking my attack would finish off the thread…Log in to see images!

So that makes me wonder, what is the lowest level Episode1 has been finished at? This can be used either for those of you whom have done it to brag, or Trout can come in and pwn people cause I’m sure he’s got stats on what level each clbum has beaten it at. Either way, I’m curious. I’m pretty sure if you went straight to it without grinding you could get there around level 6-7 so it seems like that would be the theoretical max, but I’m not entirely sure Log in to see images!

eponymous_en-
nui

[the abyss]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Level 2. Log in to see images!

Nah, I actually finished it at level 8 without knowing that it was the last forum, else I would surely have grinded more at the lower level forums before entering. I used up maybe 8 XRXRs in the course of the trip and 2-3 Teardrops. Since this thread is so spoilery, maybe it’ll be a better idea to move it to the Elitist Lounge?

Seerow

[Elitist Superstruc-
ture
]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

I can’t access the elitist lounge. I’m going to bumume that’s a new forum that is unlocked once you beat the last forum.

I got there and had the feeling I could have finished it, but didn’t. Now won’t be able to until tomorrow.

Cubear

[Team AWESOME]

Level 10 Camwhore

Tubmail me a picture of your male reproductive organ, and I'll send you several pics of my naked body from every angle.

eponymous_ennui Posted:

Level 2. Log in to see images!

Nah, I actually finished it at level 8 without knowing that it was the last forum, else I would surely have grinded more at the lower level forums before entering. I used up maybe 8 XRXRs in the course of the trip and 2-3 Teardrops. Since this thread is so spoilery, maybe it’ll be a better idea to move it to the Elitist Lounge?

I beat it at level 9 stats but went up to level ten after a thread or two.

and it still cost me 10 xrxr and 6 lipsticks (+50 sexiness)

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

Seerow Posted:

I can’t access the elitist lounge. I’m going to bumume that’s a new forum that is unlocked once you beat the last forum.

I got there and had the feeling I could have finished it, but didn’t. Now won’t be able to until tomorrow.

It’s a new Flamebate Discussion Topic that opens up when you’ve won, it’s actually called The Endgame

Edit: Also I’ll look into the lowest level that finished Episode 1.
Evil Trout edited this message on 11/13/2007 10:03PM

woeisme

Level 8 Emo Kid

“Scene Kid”

Evil Trout Posted:

Edit: Also I’ll look into the lowest level that finished Episode 1.

Hey Trout (or any other admin) can we get an answer on that ? It would make an interesting challenge for some of us.

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

Sorry, this wasn’t trivial to query so I put it off Log in to see images!

The earliest level the game has been beaten on is Level 8, quite a few people so far managed to do it.

It might be more interesting to try and figure out the lowest amount of cred necessary to beat the game. Looking at that, funnily enough:

woeisme      27643
Allen        27906
Daisy Danger 29059

It might be fun to see a leaderboard of this! I could see myself adding it after the upcoming re-balancing.

woeisme

Level 8 Emo Kid

“Scene Kid”

Evil Trout Posted:

Sorry, this wasn’t trivial to query so I put it off Log in to see images!

The earliest level the game has been beaten on is Level 8, quite a few people so far managed to do it.

It might be more interesting to try and figure out the lowest amount of cred necessary to beat the game. Looking at that, funnily enough:

woeisme      27643
Allen        27906
Daisy Danger 29059

It might be fun to see a leaderboard of this! I could see myself adding it after the upcoming re-balancing.

Thanks Evil Trout. A leaderboard for this would be very good. This leads me to think that a “reset character” option would be useful (setting your character back to the starting point).

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

I actually have an admin control to reset accounts. However, the last couple of times I used it it caused our database to deadlock (because there are so many tables involved) so I’m a little hesitant to open it up for everyone.

Maybe I could introduce it in a limited fashion?

woeisme

Level 8 Emo Kid

“Scene Kid”

Evil Trout Posted:

Maybe I could introduce it in a limited fashion?

I have no idea what you mean by that, but sure.

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

Haha, I basically mean some limited form of it, so it isn’t used all the time and takes down the server.

Seerow

[Elitist Superstruc-
ture
]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

This makes me fairly curious as to how you’re storing your data, cause even with your upgrades, it doesn’t seem as though a reset would have to reset -that- many things.

Maybe I just don’t know enough (never got into PHP/SQL/whatever other database **** might be used as much as I’d like)

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

Forumwarz is a pretty complicated application as far as web apps go.

There are about 125 tables in the database. Now not all of them are used for storing character data, but there are at least 20-30 that do. Every time a character is reset we have to begin a transaction, lock those 25 tables and delete most of the rows, then update data to their initial levels.

In the meantime, those 20-30 tables are being hit by people playing the game, wanting to insert their gained cred or whatever, which causes the deadlocks. If we weren’t serving up multiple requests every second it might not be such an issue (in fact on the development server it’s never a problem), but it’s not a simple operation Log in to see images!

Seerow

[Elitist Superstruc-
ture
]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Evil Trout Posted:

There are about 125 tables in the database. Now not all of them are used for storing character data, but there are at least 20-30 that do. Every time a character is reset we have to begin a transaction, lock those 25 tables and delete most of the rows, then update data to their initial levels.

In the meantime, those 20-30 tables are being hit by people playing the game, wanting to insert their gained cred or whatever, which causes the deadlocks. If we weren’t serving up multiple requests every second it might not be such an issue (in fact on the development server it’s never a problem), but it’s not a simple operation Log in to see images!

Again, I’m not totally sure, but wouldn’t the easier thing to do be have each character saved as its own table, which is then part of a bigger table?

I mean, like I said, I’m unfamiliar with web based stuff for the most part, but if I were designing something like this in java, I’d have an object representing a character, with all the needed info, then a object that stores all of the characters. As I understand it that would allow for each character to reset its values individually without interfering with the others.

Tables for databases might not work the same way, but I wouldn’t think that the storage would be that much different that it would cause problems. Though it might be a less efficient use of space, which could be your bigger priority until you get better servers.

SPARTAAA

Level 8 Emo Kid

“Scene Kid”

I beat it on 7, went up to 8 in the middle.

Went through a good 15XRXR and 4-5 ExGF Perfume

Cred was at 29219 after beating it. Would have been a couple thousand less if I had bought a couple more XRXR’s for my first attempt.

SPARTAAA edited this message on 11/16/2007 4:58PM

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

Seerow Posted:

Evil Trout Posted:

Again, I’m not totally sure, but wouldn’t the easier thing to do be have each character saved as its own table, which is then part of a bigger table?

I mean, like I said, I’m unfamiliar with web based stuff for the most part, but if I were designing something like this in java, I’d have an object representing a character, with all the needed info, then a object that stores all of the characters. As I understand it that would allow for each character to reset its values individually without interfering with the others.

Tables for databases might not work the same way, but I wouldn’t think that the storage would be that much different that it would cause problems. Though it might be a less efficient use of space, which could be your bigger priority until you get better servers.

Well it’s hard to explain if you haven’t dealt with web / db programming. But basically I have an object that represents a character. But that object needs to be persisted somewhere, so I put it as a row in a table.

But each object actually references many other objects, for example the character object has an inventory of item objects. Each one of those is persisted as a row in a table.

Then when you factor in concurrency, you get many people looking for different pieces of data at once. In order not to lose your data integrity you have to lock rows for transactions, otherwise someone might get stale data or data that’s out of order.

Daisy Danger

Level 8 Camwhore

“Training Broad”

Damn you woeisme and Allen! I think I went to another forum before one of the harder ones to get some more exp so I wouldn’t get dominated. I coulda won! Log in to see images!

Azsedcf

Level 16 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Evil Trout Posted:

Ok, if people can send in updates for their ‘cred or whatever’ then can’t the players have a reset bumon that they can press to update everything in their character?

TORNBUG

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Seerow Posted:

Databases don’t work that way. You can’t have tables with subtables. The only data format that really supports that sort of thing is XML, which is really bad in just about every other way.

20-30 tables for character data does seem a bit ridiculous though.

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

TORNBUG Posted:

Seerow Posted:

Databases don’t work that way. You can’t have tables with subtables. The only data format that really supports that sort of thing is XML, which is really bad in just about every other way.

20-30 tables for character data does seem a bit ridiculous though.

Sometimes simple-seeming things are more complicated underneath.

I just counted and there are up to 22 tables carrying data for any particular user. Two of them are purely statistical, basically acting as logs so they needn’t be counted.

The rest are all necessary, and I couldn’t imagine de-normalizing them without losing some major functionality.

Remember a character belongs to many things: missions, bookmarks, friends, tubmails, inventory items, upgrades, abilities, deliveries, contacts, hints, cinematics, toolbar customization, etc. Those are the most obvious ones that come to mind from the front end, but I don’t think it’s difficult to imagine how a role playing game such as this can rely on a lot of relational data Log in to see images!

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!