Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Poll Forumwarz Episode 2: Why it will cost money

Catt although

Avatar: 46806 2022-11-29 03:06:42 +0000

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Last Catt Standing

scullyangel Posted:

Man, I don’t want to discourage a payment option, but personal experience in my business – checks and money orders are easy as having access to a laser printer, and even when they are real if they bounce the bank tends to charge the person cashing the thing a fee.

If a person can go somewhere to get a money order there is no legitimate reason they can’t get a Visa gift card. Almost every major mega store (think WalMart) sells them.

Just to give another point of view, we get quite a few money orders from my e-business, and have never had a problem with them. And if something were to happen you could always ban the account. There might be a couple of people who would commit criminal fraud to play Forumwarz, but it can’t be that many. On another note, I see seen prepaid ccs at the big drug store chains here in the states quite a bit (CVS, Walgreens)

Catt although edited this message on 08/27/2008 12:36PM

Catt although

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Last Catt Standing

Morro the bumless Posted:

look, i understand the rising costs of hosting, game making, etc. and i would gladly send the money for beer, but i work hard 6 days a week, and my paychecks gotta stretch, so if i were to send the money, i think that everyone who pays gets increased forum visits, better dom cards, etc. but i dont see why you guys cant accept money orders or other alternate forms of payment. i mean even ebay lets you pay with mo’s and such.

i also would like the preorder idea

also, will you be getting the bp, or is it just the cost?

This really has nothing to do with anything, but Ebay is going to stop taking money orders and checks soon. Paypal or direct credit card only.

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

enire Posted:

I’m all for the pre-ordering, too. Plus, I imagine it would be advantageous for your servers to not have everyone rushing to buy ep. 2 at the same moment. (TBH, I know little to nothing about that kind of thing; it just seems intuitive that it would work that way).

Since our payment is handled by Paypal right now, too many people buying it at once is not a big problem.

I am a bit worried about tens of thousands of people trying to play Episode 2 at once when it’s released though. We might have to rent some extra servers to handle the load.

TUBSWEETIE

Avatar: 3450 2011-07-31 00:45:06 -0400

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 37 Troll

MY MEMORY IS THAT OF A SMALL GRAPE

Evil Trout Posted:

Since our payment is handled by Paypal right now, too many people buying it at once is not a big problem.

I am a bit worried about tens of thousands of people trying to play Episode 2 at once when it’s released though. We might have to rent some extra servers to handle the load.

Yes please. It would be a real turn-off to most people if after reluctantly opening their wallets they’re slapped in the face with monstrous load times.

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

TUBSWEETIE Posted:

Yes please. It would be a real turn-off to most people if after reluctantly opening their wallets they’re slapped in the face with monstrous load times.

Unfortunately, there is only so much we can do if that happens Log in to see images!

Even big sites can’t take a hoard of users like that. We’ll do our best though, and as in the past we’ll compensate with visits and such if we have downtime.

TUBSWEETIE

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 37 Troll

You know that die hards will fight through the lag. Lucky for me and the rest of the west coast, we’re asleep at rollover. Log in to see images!

Orb

Avatar: 33233 Tue Oct 21 12:46:08 -0400 2008

[70 Character Story-
tellers
]

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

Maybe if access to Episode 2 features is somewhat staggered? Like, for the first week or so only a certain number of people could buy Episode 2 per day (500? 1000? I’m not sure what would be reasonable) with those that pre-ordered getting first dibs.

It would kinda suck for some people during that one week, but after that things would be fine, and Episode 2 has been waited for long enough that it would be a shame to have a laggy, hard-to-play release. The only problem is that many people are anxious to get the Episode 2’s equivalent of First To the Finish Line, and anyone who doesn’t start playing on the day of the release is at a serious disadvantage for it… but those people could be encouraged to simply pre-order, if it is something important to them.

Orb edited this message on 08/27/2008 3:23PM

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

Orb Posted:

The only problem is that many people are anxious to get the Episode 2’s equivalent of First To the Finish Line

Easy solution to that: Don’t offer one.

Then, stagger the release by — and I know this will draw howls — allowing people to buy earlier slots by paying more money.

MC Banhammer Posted:

Then, stagger the release by — and I know this will draw howls — allowing people to buy earlier slots by paying more money.

I’d rather the biggest spenders (which does not include me) were given early access to the game as a reward for their loyalty. That also staves off any disappointment they feel at not getting a discount.

TUBSWEETIE

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 37 Troll

MC Banhammer Posted:

I’d go for that. I know 95% of the rest of the internet wouldn’t though.

Catt although

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Last Catt Standing

Evil Trout Posted:

Well, that might not have been the best post. Now if you have problems, you can’t say “we didn’t anticipate the demand”. And you’re facing more blame now if there is a problem.

enire

[70 Character Story-
tellers
]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Catt-although Posted:

Well, that might not have been the best post. Now if you have problems, you can’t say “we didn’t anticipate the demand”. And you’re facing more blame now if there is a problem.

I disagree. I like the honesty. And, really, if ther were load-related problems with launch and they said “sorry; we didn’t anticipate that,” I’d think CZ was stupid and/or negligent. This way, if it happens, I’ll figure they tried their best but came up against insurmountable odds.

enire edited this message on 08/27/2008 3:53PM

Orb

[70 Character Story-
tellers
]

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

TUBSWEETIE Posted:

I’d go for that. I know 95% of the rest of the internet wouldn’t though.

I dunno about the Internet on the whole, but I think a pretty good percentage of the people on Forumwarz (drawn only from the people who are buying Episode 2 already) would go for that.

I don’t like this as a solution, though. While it would generate a little extra income in the short run, it would also breed resentment among the crowd, and bitter people are less likely to buy BP.

Whereas, if it’s first-come first-served (after pre-orders), people will have no one to be bitter at but other members of the community who were quicker on the draw than they are… which would increase pranks, and thus BP sales.

Most of all, giving first dibs to people who pre-order will encourage lots of people to pre-order… which means that instead of a short, mbumive income-dump at release time, Crotch Zombie will get the same amount over time (and starting sooner). Now, it’s none of my business how CZ spends the money they get (it’s okay to buy beers guys it’s for the good of the community), but more money early on *could* help improve the server situation before Episode 2 releases, making things go even easier.

Orb edited this message on 08/27/2008 3:53PM

Amasius

Avatar: 21158 2015-06-13 23:07:57 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

OMFG! It is MY bum!

Orb Posted:

Maybe if access to Episode 2 features is somewhat staggered? Like, for the first week or so only a certain number of people could buy Episode 2 per day (500? 1000? I’m not sure what would be reasonable) with those that pre-ordered getting first dibs.

They could call it an extended beta phase. I’m sure people would understand that. Log in to see images!

Veer

Avatar: 2059 Thu Nov 13 08:18:14 -0500 2008

[Team Shortbus]

Level 32 Troll

my only complaint is that you people are happy

MC Banhammer Posted:

that’s a ****stupid idea

staggered releases are just inhumane and people will spoiler things

don’t offer the first to the finish line e-peen though

the first person who beats ep 2 will have their title permanently changed to I CUT INTO MY OWN FUN FOR INTERNET ACCOMPLISHMENTS

TUBSWEETIE

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 37 Troll

Orb Posted:

Whereas, if it’s first-come first-served (after pre-orders), people will have no one to be bitter at but other members of the community who were quicker on the draw than they are… which would increase pranks, and thus BP sales.

Most of all, giving first dibs to people who pre-order will encourage lots of people to pre-order… which means that instead of a short, mbumive income-dump at release time, Crotch Zombie will get the same amount over time (and starting sooner). Now, it’s none of my business how CZ spends the money they get (it’s okay to buy beers guys it’s for the good of the community), but more money early on *could* help improve the server situation before Episode 2 releases, making things go even easier.

Good plan. That makes the most sense so far.

Veer

Avatar: 2059 Thu Nov 13 08:18:14 -0500 2008

[Team Shortbus]

Level 32 Troll

my only complaint is that you people are happy

btw when’s ep 2 coming out

if i’m gonna preorder it i want to know how long i have to wait

Aldo_Anything

Avatar: 32555 2014-07-18 11:39:53 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

male reproductive organMEISTER

knowing that date could get u a win at a contest, so feel free to tell it

Orb

[70 Character Story-
tellers
]

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

Aldo_Anything Posted:

knowing that date could get u a win at a contest, so feel free to tell it

All the likely dates have already been picked, so the knowledge alone likely isn’t worth much.

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

Orb Posted:

All the likely dates have already been picked, so the knowledge alone likely isn’t worth much.

You think so? November’s still wide open…

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!