Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Gay I Need Good Book Suggestions

CoreyJess

Avatar: 2355 2015-02-10 15:56:06 -0500

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Pie cannot hide overwhelming naughtiness!

nanaintelligentjesus gets you SMART IN YOUR BRAINS Posted:

Nah, it’s a real guy. Spelling his name like that is kind of an injoke since nobody really wants to learn how it’s actually spelt.

chuck palanuhhkhh

Oh, Fight Club. I’ll have to look into him.

Thanks

CoreyJess

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Wylin Posted:

After catching up with the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan I’m reading the Stephen King Dark Tower series, and wishing I had done it sooner!

As for a newer author, I really liked The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch.

The Dark Tower is a great series, up until book 5 or 6. That’s just my opinion, though, and I know many people who disagree.

Jalapeno Boo-
tyhole

Avatar: 44 2012-11-06 12:31:55 -0500

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 44 Emo Kid

I had the first bum avatar.

I prefer non-fiction, but here’s a few more light reading suggestions.

Ken Grimwood, “Replay”

A 1986 fantasy-adventure that’s kind of like the premise of Groundhog Day, except the guy keeps reliving his entire life. Should be trashy, but it’s great.

Irvine Welsh, Marabou Stork Nightmares

To paraphrase the movie “Crazy People,” this book won’t just scare you, it will **** you up for life.

E.L. Doctorow, “World’s Fair”

Just a great book by one of my fave writers. No relation to Cory Doctorow, by the way, as far as I know!

enire

[70 Character Story-
tellers
]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Jalapeno Bootyhole Posted:

...light reading suggestions…

To paraphrase the movie “Crazy People,” this book won’t just scare you, it will **** you up for life.

Holy ****, I only made it about 1/3 of the way through that book, and that was more than enough to **** me up for life. I would hesitate to call it “light reading.” It is well-written; I just think it should come with a Surgeon General’s warning. Take that as a recommendation or a dissuasion, depending on what you like.

A lot of my favourite books fall into the category of magic realism. My favourite book of all time is A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry. Anothe of my favourites is Blindness by Jose Saramago. If you like magical realism, I also recommend The Beggar and his Talismans by Anosh Irani. It’s very surrealistic. The whole thing seems to be available to read online (legally) at GoogleBooks.ca.

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

I read a lot of science fiction. Here’s some of the last few books I read and loved:

The Player of Games – Iain M. Banks.

A Fire Upon the Deep (currently reading, but awesome!) – Vernon Vinge

Quarantine – Greg Egan

TeeKayEff

[Team Shortbus]

Level 34 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Sirens of Titan

Slapstick

Breakfast of Champions

Cat’s Cradle

Catch-22

It’s pretty funny that 4/5 of my favorite books are Vonnegut. If you haven’t read any of the above, go and read them you bumhole.

TeeKayEff

[Team Shortbus]

Level 34 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

iIRZ Posted:

something happened, good as gold, catch 22, american psycho

Good as Gold sucks. I really need to read American Psycho.

CoreyJess

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

E.L. Doctorow, “World’s Fair”

Just a great book by one of my fave writers. No relation to Cory Doctorow, by the way, as far as I know!

World’s Fair was an awesome book! What makes Marabou Stork Nightmares so crazy, without spoiling it?

Evil Trout Posted:

I read a lot of science fiction. Here’s some of the last few books I read and loved:

The Player of Games – Iain M. Banks.

A Fire Upon the Deep (currently reading, but awesome!) – Vernon Vinge

Quarantine – Greg Egan

I loved A Fire Upon The Deep! I picked up quarantine a while back, but haven’t read it yet. In fact until you mentioned it, I forgot I had it.

Courtney

[Board of Directors]

Level 35 Camwhore

“Legs Wide Open”

I prefer non-fiction, but here’s a few more light reading suggestions.

This is exactly how I felt about “The Painted Bird” by Jerzy Kosinski. It is a controversial and powerful novel, one that was on the banned books list in most schools. I read it the first time when I was 17. To this day, I think it is still the most ****ed up book I have ever read.

CoreyJess

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

On the subject of messed up books, has anyone read Twisted Little Vein by Warren Ellis?

I think it’s safe to say it’s like nothing else I’ve read.

1338h4x

Avatar: 22473 Sat Nov 29 21:01:08 -0500 2008

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 35 Troll

7 Vibrating Doldoes was never a meme

coreyjess Posted:

I’m on the last Neil Gaiman novel, then I’m out of ideas.

Well ****, that’s what I came in here ready to suggest. Have you read any of Terry Pratchett’s books? Log in to see images! Discworld

And of course Good Omens, which the two of them cowrote!

EDIT: I love replying without bothering to read the rest of the thread first.

1338h4x edited this message on 08/22/2008 11:10PM

PhineasPoe

Avatar: 12179 2010-01-24 16:27:57 -0500

[70 Character Story-
tellers
]

Level 35 Troll

You got a smudge there Phin... oh wait thats Trouts feces

Chuck Palahniuk is cool until you realize almost all of his books are the same. They’re still worth reading up to Lullaby though.

In high school I wrote a letter to him and he sent me back his reply along with a box containing trick candles, a box of chocolates, a Virgin Mary night light, and a necklace that the letter said he made for me. He signed the box the necklace was in and his reply letter. Pretty cool dude.

Edit: I forgot there was also a stuffed musk rat. Not taxidermied, but a stuffed animal. The letter said it was my power musk rat.

PhineasPoe edited this message on 08/23/2008 2:13AM

DIRT-ROACH-6-

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

coreyjess Posted:

On the subject of messed up books, has anyone read Twisted Little Vein by Warren Ellis?

I think it’s safe to say it’s like nothing else I’ve read.

I have a signed copy here I got at San Diego when it first came out, expecting big things.

I found it to be a rather linear story, not in keeping with Ellis’ better work (ie. Transmetropolitan).

Maybe I’ve just had too much exposure to the internet, but I didn’t find it particularly shocking or revealing…perhaps sadly, I could remember real-life/internet examples of most of the stuff he wrote about.

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

PhineasPoe Posted:

Chuck Palahniuk is cool until you realize almost all of his books are the same. They’re still worth reading up to Lullaby though.

I agree completely. My favorite was Choke, but after Lullaby I haven’t liked anything.

CoreyJess

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

DIRT-ROACH-688 Posted:

I have a signed copy here I got at San Diego when it first came out, expecting big things.

I found it to be a rather linear story, not in keeping with Ellis’ better work (ie. Transmetropolitan).

Maybe I’ve just had too much exposure to the internet, but I didn’t find it particularly shocking or revealing…perhaps sadly, I could remember real-life/internet examples of most of the stuff he wrote about.

This is one of the reasons I limit my exposure to some of the Internets more twisted fads. I’m one of the few who’s never seen a goatse or 2G1C. If your totally desensitized, nothing can shock or surprise.

Crooked little Vein is a good first novel by Ellis though. It shows he’s staying true to the twisted aspect that make Transmetropolitan interesting.

CoreyJess

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Evil Trout Posted:

I agree completely. My favorite was Choke, but after Lullaby I haven’t liked anything.

Are his novels connected, or completely individual stories?

twas

Avatar: 40896 2011-11-01 00:47:59 -0400

[fine upstanding member of society]

Level 35 Troll

Wher Have My Poor Imaginary Wife and Child Gone

coreyjess Posted:

Are his novels connected, or completely individual stories?

They are all individual novels, but they all read the same or the same voice or whatever. The common consensus is that Choke is his best. I personally feel that Diary is the best written. I think it should be noted that his last three books have a more fractured story structure than the rest.

Jalapeno Boo-
tyhole

Avatar: 44 2012-11-06 12:31:55 -0500

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 44 Emo Kid

I had the first bum avatar.

coreyjess Posted:

World’s Fair was an awesome book! What makes Marabou Stork Nightmares so crazy, without spoiling it?

You know, I asked that of someone who had read it previously and they struggled to explain, and now I find myself in the same position. It’s the way he injects psychological horror into the mundane. It’s replete with dark, ugly images, and contains some disturbingly violent acts, as you’d expect from Welsh. But a very good read nonetheless.

LubaTuber

Level 12 Camwhore

“Leave it to Cleavage”

I will have to say that The curious incident of the dog in the nighttime is one of the best books i have read. Written by Mark Haddon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Curious_Incident_of_the_Dog_in_the_Night-time

NOW GOGO BUY IT!

TUBSWEETIE

Avatar: 3450 2011-07-31 00:45:06 -0400

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 37 Troll

MY MEMORY IS THAT OF A SMALL GRAPE

People have argued that Thomas Harris is a ****ty writer or something but I was reading the Hannibal books a while ago and thought they were fantastic.

I went through Hannibal rising (weird + obviously made to cash in on Lecter but still interesting) and Red Dragon (really liked it, creepy as hell). I’m dieing to find Silence of the lambs and the other one.

coreyjess you might have even been there when i was talking about them in IDC, i can’t remember at all. Just in case you weren’t Log in to see images!

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!