Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Writing Haruki Murakami - Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World

BirdofPrey

Avatar: 2037 Sun May 10 02:46:48 -0400 2009

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

I lick her up afterwards (After her great times session too! Yum!)

I recently finished this book, and I must say that overall I was quite impressed. The story grabbed my attention even from the first chapter and I thoroughly enjoyed each of the alternating story lines. The action in no way detracts from the compelling post-modern manifesto, and visa-versa. While I don’t believe that such a state of dual-consciousness is possible, it is at the least interesting, if hypothetical, food for thought.

BirdofPrey

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

As a side-note, I believe these boards could be improved by a “Books” thread tag. It would help differentiate between published novels and shorter, user-created texts.

Veer

Avatar: 2059 Thu Nov 13 08:18:14 -0500 2008

[Team Shortbus]

Level 32 Troll

my only complaint is that you people are happy

As compelling as your argument may be, I must disagree. The duality of the plot led to a rather irritating sense of urgency. In my opinion, the primary narrator’s analysis of the secondary narrator’s motives was the most compelling part of the novel.

BirdofPrey

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

It appears our literary principles are at odds: I enjoy such a feeling of urgency, as it helps move the plot along and makes for a good read. The fact that you felt such an urgency at all is testimony to the fact that you had begun to identify with the main character.

I’m not sure what you mean by differentiating the two primary characters. Perhaps you reached a different interpretation, but it seemed to me that the two main characters were in reality identical to each other, though unaware of each other at the same time. A neat paradox!

elenaratelim-
it

Avatar: 24791 2010-03-21 18:12:06 -0400

[Team Shortbus]

Level 44 Troll

chica bonita

I still have not had time to read this – and I want to be able to fully immerse myself in the experience and take my time while doing so.

Once I finish my latest research project I will do and am looking forward to it. Although the Japanese literary establishment criticizes Murakami of being ‘pop’ – I find that the accessibility of his narrative combined his profoundly labyrinthine ideas is precisely what makes his writing so special.

King Krimson

[Snobby McSnobbers-
ons
]

Level 69 Troll

A lot fo kewl boiz wer it ok!

That name sounds… Japanese? That must mean it’s manga, right?

I like manga. They have pretty pictures.Log in to see images!

Lord Shplane

Avatar: 49819 Fri Dec 05 01:45:00 -0500 2008

[Forumwarz Speakeasy]

Level 69 Troll

:)

I have yet to read or even hear of this.

Sounds interesting though. And I’m being serious, not “ZOMG LUK HAO SMRATE I AMZ”.

EDIT: Also I haven’t really read much since I read through the Song of Fire and Ice series so far. 4k+ Pages burned me out for a bit. I read the Black Jewels trilogy at the prompting of my grandmother recently, however, and since it was only around 1k pages it required only a couple of days of ittermittent reading. It was good, but obviously written by a deranged feminazi.

Lord Shplane edited this message on 08/20/2008 8:20AM
Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!