Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Pumpkin New York Times tackles the "internet trolling" phenomenon

Jalapeno Boo-
tyhole

Avatar: 44 2012-11-06 12:31:55 -0500

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 44 Emo Kid

I had the first bum avatar.

Check it out.

Pretty in-depth. A mention would’ve been nice, though. Geez.

Edit: I was just getting around to that. Stalker.

Jalapeno Bootyhole edited this message on 08/02/2008 1:36AM

Fran

Avatar: 34789 2015-08-06 21:23:09 -0400

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 62 Camwhore

I wonder who is the bumbling idiot that still has fake currency on this website and actually spends

I’m surprised they didn’t mention World of Warcraft forums.

xXxJUNEGUY1x-
Xx

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

Jalapeno Bootyhole Posted:

A mention would’ve been nice, though. Geez.

I’m confused as to who is being mentioned in that article. You? Log in to see images!

kittiejenn

Avatar: 18080 2011-11-01 00:29:42 -0400

[Backdoor Amigos]

Level 35 Emo Kid

So damn naughty it wraps back around to nice.

I’m laughing because I know (almost) all of the people in this article from my LJ days.

kittiejenn edited this message on 08/02/2008 2:55AM

scully

Avatar: 12797 2015-07-20 16:59:13 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

Interesting article. The trolling thing in general is interesting. It’s so insanely pointless to care if you get a rise out of someone you don’t even know, and on the flip side just as wacky to be bothered by people you don’t know. Yet across the board that seems to be the motivator and the reaction.

The article could have mentioned ForumWarz, but it wouldn’t really make sense with the tone of the rest of the piece. After all, the game claims to parody the internet. How could anyone looking in guess that we’re sitting in the middle of life imitating art imitating life?

SIG-ENABLING-
MOCK-CONGLER

Avatar: 50390 Tue May 26 17:55:44 -0400 2009

Level 35 Troll

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA AHHAAHAHAHAHAH

this 4chan sounds like a train wreck, i should go check it out

AAHZ

Avatar: 4016 2013-08-02 05:07:06 -0400

[Forumwarz Active P-
layers
]

Level 69 Troll

SAGAMI -WUZ- HERE

Check it out.

Pretty in-depth. A mention would’ve been nice, though. Geez.

do not be disappointed that we were not mentioned. The findings of the journalist were interviews with 3 very influential people with firsthand knowledge of trolling that actually affect peoples lives. All three have significant IRL powar in relation to such online activities.

this site is just a game. Log in to see images!

Jalapeno Boo-
tyhole

Avatar: 44 2012-11-06 12:31:55 -0500

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 44 Emo Kid

I had the first bum avatar.

Okay, not a mention…just an interview. Okay, forget the interview, I’d just refer them to PANTS anyway.

I’ve often wondered about the motivation behind trolling. Why act this way, just because you can? Maybe the answer is obvious, but I think the author is onto something with:

“This seems to spring from something ugly — a destructive human urge that many feel but few act upon, the ambient misanthropy that’s a frequent ingredient of art, politics and, most of all, jokes.”

SIG-ENABLING-
MOCK-CONGLER

Avatar: 50390 Tue May 26 17:55:44 -0400 2009

Level 35 Troll

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA AHHAAHAHAHAHAH

thats a very interesting question. i imagine theres many reasons why, for different people

-for lulz? to fit in? or are they really a troll, in rl? maybe theyre like that one guy there thinking theyre making ppl smarten up by trolling them?

shades of grey

SIG-ENABLING MOCK-CONGLER edited this message on 08/02/2008 4:11AM

gigerth

Avatar: 30869 Fri Jun 26 22:33:49 -0400 2009

[Team Shortbus]

Level 31 Troll

i was jealous so i changed his title

Okay, not a mention…just an interview. Okay, forget the interview, I’d just refer them to PANTS anyway.

I’ve often wondered about the motivation behind trolling. Why act this way, just because you can? Maybe the answer is obvious, but I think the author is onto something with:

“This seems to spring from something ugly — a destructive human urge that many feel but few act upon, the ambient misanthropy that’s a frequent ingredient of art, politics and, most of all, jokes.”

the whole article is pretty dumb

gigerth

Avatar: 30869 Fri Jun 26 22:33:49 -0400 2009

[Team Shortbus]

Level 31 Troll

i was jealous so i changed his title

SIG-ENABLING MOCK-CONGLER Posted:

thats a very interesting question. i imagine theres many reasons why, for different people

-for lulz? to fit in? or are they really a troll, in rl? maybe theyre like that one guy there thinking theyre making ppl smarten up by trolling them?

shades of grey

wow

scully

Avatar: 12797 2015-07-20 16:59:13 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

You and me both. Truth is I’m often in a state of thinking, “Why the hell are you acting like such a jackbum?” on these forums and have to remind myself that people are supposed to be acting that way.

I used to own a game shop and watching pack behavior and trollish behavior was a daily thing. It was confusing as hell at first, since it just flat out wasn’t my experience growing up. Very simply, the younger the person, the more likely they will be to unleash the troll within. I don’t think it is always the first impulse, but it is definitely a very popular “if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em” option. No one wants to grow up to be Batman these days, they want to be The Joker. The world is in a strange place. It sounds cliche, but they are currently growing up with it, so it’s “normal.” Parents are radically less available and kids are raising themselves, being babysit by the internet. I was in high school almost (gasp of horror) 20 years ago and I can recall how shocking it was when a fight broke out. The kids who came to my shop witnessed fights almost daily. I listened to their stories appalled at what was happening, and they didn’t understand why I was freaked because it was just business as usual. I’m not sure where the societal shift happened, but it’s obvious that the further we march the less we rely on social graces. Kindness just doesn’t pull any street cred these days.

Before the game shop I’d been in the hotel industry and the trolling impulse is the complete opposite of the customer service impulse. Perhaps the unleashing of the inner troll in these anonymous settings has a bit to do with why the kid manning the drive through window acts like taking your cash is causing him physical pain.

For the most part I think the guys in the interviews were not your average troll. I really don’t think the average troll does it to test social responses, they do it as an acting out in a safe setting where there will be no consequences beyond a possible banning. They might want to push people’s bumons, prod for a reaction, but they are mostly the “lets pull the wings off this bug” type, rather than the “let’s get a degree in behavioral science and see if we can make a bug pull it’s own wings off” types.

Heh heh heh, I do love a good ramble. Serious scully is serious. Log in to see images!

kittiejenn

Avatar: 18080 2011-11-01 00:29:42 -0400

[Backdoor Amigos]

Level 35 Emo Kid

So damn naughty it wraps back around to nice.

http://www.citmedialaw.org/threats/doe-v-fortuny#description

One of the guys from the article Log in to see images!

Bix Nood

Avatar: 60260 2010-10-12 20:21:23 -0400

[7 VIBRATING DOLDOES]

Level 60 Troll

MUP DA DOO DIDDA PO MO GUB BIDDA BE DAT TUM MUHFUGGEN

The reason I troll is simple: Pure and utter loathing for all of humanity, including myself. It’s why I insult myself as much as I insult other people. That also seems to intimidate people, insulting oneself as much as you insult others, mainly because it shows that nothing you throw at me is as bad as what I throw at myself.

Fortunato

Avatar: 72902 2010-02-03 18:45:17 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 51 Troll

ZOMBIE CANNONBALL OF GORE

kittiejenn Posted:

http://www.citmedialaw.org/threats/doe-v-fortuny#description

One of the guys from the article Log in to see images!

This is a nasty precedent.

Colonel Bear

Avatar: 68748 Mon May 18 15:38:07 -0400 2009

[Very Busy Klan]

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

I love weev’s appearance.

Adapt

Avatar: 58104 2015-06-13 23:16:37 -0400

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 48 Camwhore

Celerysteve is better than me in everyway imaginable

Update:

4/9/09 – The court entered a default judgment against Fortuny, requiring him to pay $74,252.56 in damages, attorneys fees, and costs.

Maybe he doesn’t think it’s so great now.

Adapt edited this message on 05/03/2009 1:35AM
Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!