Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Evil Trout Scripting in Speedruns

Vuron

Avatar: 4928 2011-07-31 00:39:10 -0400

[Team Shortbus]

Level 40 Emo Kid

Vile serpent! I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

The problem with scripted praypal runs is that it reduces the incentive to quit running praypal when you meet a specific goal. For instance if I can script praypal20 runs why would I ever quit grinding on Vuron?

The boredom and carpal tunnel effect I a good incentive to actually quit doing the same thing over and over and try something new.

zigzagoon

Avatar: 28782 2011-07-31 12:19:07 -0400

Level 20 Permanoob

“Asshat”

boredom and carpal tunnel is a terrible way of balancing a game

and even if grinding scripts were allowed, there would be incentive to do other stuff because there are e-peen that you can’t get from just grinding

meeeeeeeeee

Avatar: 15443 2010-04-04 18:27:25 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Troll

Sneakily vicious and filled with virtuous pit bulls.

Without boredom, what incentive is there to stop grinding? Grinding is in essence, repetitive activity to achieve a future goal at a slowed pace. So there needs to be a goal (that’s the peen) the grinding has to be time consuming and/or repetitive (otherwise it’s not grinding) and there has to be an incentive to stop (goal achieved)

The wiki entry on grinding is pretty interesting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grind_(gaming)

meeeeeeeeee edited this message on 07/24/2008 10:53AM

Fran

Avatar: 34789 2015-08-06 21:23:09 -0400

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 62 Camwhore

I wonder who is the bumbling idiot that still has fake currency on this website and actually spends

Well, the 3 E-Peens connected to grinding (Most Cred, Most Flezz and Most Forums Pwned) are currently impossible to achieve while there’s people on the leaderboards grinding everyday actively. So, unless Paraone and SG94 go inactive, there’s little to no incentive to grind.

Echuu

Avatar: 6433 Tue Jul 21 22:01:07 -0400 2009

[Backdoor Amigos]

Level 20 Troll

You made Vader snobby.

meeeeeeeeee Posted:

Without boredom, what incentive is there to stop grinding? Grinding is in essence, repetitive activity to achieve a future goal at a slowed pace. So there needs to be a goal (that’s the peen) the grinding has to be time consuming and/or repetitive (otherwise it’s not grinding) and there has to be an incentive to stop (goal achieved)

The wiki entry on grinding is pretty interesting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grind_(gaming)

Pretty interesting, weird how it doesn’t even mention world of warcraft or world of grindcraft as is more appropriate here.

zigzagoon

Level 20 Permanoob

“Asshat”

meeeeeeeeee Posted:

Without boredom, what incentive is there to stop grinding?

but without boredom, the grind would not be boring. i dont see what your argument is here

when your game consists of “who can endure boredom/carpal tunnel the longest” you know you’ve done something wrong

the solution is not to “make people stop grinding”, the solution is to make the forum-pwning fun by introducing more strategic elements, intricacies and such

this also discourages scripting because the scripts would have to evolve to take care of all the elements of gameplay that are introduced

meeeeeeeeee

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Troll

That’s part of the solution of course (and you’re saying basically the same as my suggestion earlier on) but if you make it that interesting (quite an achievement in itself btw) people are just going to pwn the same forums over and over even more enthusiastically, with the same results for the leaderboard. There needs to be an incentive to stop grinding, and grinding shouldn’t overly impact other players doing the same thing.

zigzagoon

Level 20 Permanoob

“Asshat”

it seems to me you are arguing that the leaderboard is flawed, not that the game is flawed

Juliet

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

zigzagoon Posted:

it seems to me you are arguing that the leaderboard is flawed, not that the game is flawed

The leaderboard is very flawed and is why I’ve suggested transferring the e-peens from a Top 1 to a Top 20 reward. After all some people just want the epeen not their name in lights Log in to see images!

Fran

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 62 Camwhore

I wonder who is the bumbling idiot that still has fake currency on this website and actually spends

Juliet Posted:

The leaderboard is very flawed and is why I’ve suggested transferring the e-peens from a Top 1 to a Top 20 reward. After all some people just want the epeen not their name in lights Log in to see images!

Works for me.

Arktor

[Smooth Town Rebels]

Level 10 Camwhore

Medal Ninja

meeeeeeeeee Posted:

If they take anything other than a hard line, at any level, on automated scripting of ingame functions, they’d be making a mistake. I don’t want to play against bots, no matter what intentional flaws are designed into them, because someone will come along and remove those flaws.

I disagree. The “intentional flaws” would be “intentional additions” because their added in so that it won’t qualify as cheating. If you’re referring to someone removing those additions, I hate to tell you this, but the end result is identical to not adding them in the first place. Which gives you what I already have.

meeeeeeeeee

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Troll

zigzagoon Posted:

That the leaderboard is flawed is one facet of what I was saying, and already well known. It’s another conflicting factor to consider, if we’re looking for ways to discourage scripting, and increase the fun factor for players working towards long term goals (i.e. grinding) If the process itself were made more fun, what’s the incentive to stop once you’ve reached your goal?

Fran

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 62 Camwhore

The leaderboard IS flawed, and in fact that removes most of my incentive to grind. I have 200k  (thus I’m not running out of money for a while), I have no reason to grind other then achieve E-Peens.

It’s simply impossible to get 1st now because both of them are actively grinding and enforcing their 1st place even more. A Top 20 would solve this.

Fran edited this message on 07/24/2008 12:13PM

meeeeeeeeee

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Troll

Arktor Posted:

I disagree. The “intentional flaws” would be “intentional additions” because their added in so that it won’t qualify as cheating. If you’re referring to someone removing those additions, I hate to tell you this, but the end result is identical to not adding them in the first place. Which gives you what I already have.

Press a bumon, with the game. Doesn’t matter whether it’s speedruns or not. If the game is not being played by you, it’s being played by a script. If it’s being played by a script, I’m competing against that script, unless I do the same. And if we all do the same, there’s no point playing, because there’s no competitive edge, except by tweaking the delays in the script of course.

meeeeeeeeee edited this message on 07/24/2008 12:12PM

Arktor

[Smooth Town Rebels]

Level 10 Camwhore

Medal Ninja

meeeeeeeeee Posted:

Press a bumon, with the game. Doesn’t matter whether it’s speedruns or not. If the game is not being played by you, it’s being played by a script. If it’s being played by a script, I’m competing against that script, unless I do the same. And if we all do the same, there’s no point playing, because there’s no competitive edge, except by tweaking the delays in the script of course.

I bumume you meant “press a bumon, win the game.” Which is what we all do already. We press bumons. I didn’t see you complaining when streaking with the defaced mona lisa allowed you to press fewer bumons than other people.

Vuron

Avatar: 4928 2011-07-31 00:39:10 -0400

[Team Shortbus]

Level 40 Emo Kid

Vile serpent! I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Arktor Posted:

I bumume you meant “press a bumon, win the game.” Which is what we all do already. We press bumons. I didn’t see you complaining when streaking with the defaced mona lisa allowed you to press fewer bumons than other people.

Technically meeeeee uses min repair instead of streaking with the DML.

Realistically grinding with any clbum other than a DML troll has become largely pointless. As long as the people ahead of you are willing to do pray20s you can’t make up space on them. With a DML you can grind faux and quickly pbum anyone just grinding praypal.

Fran

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 62 Camwhore

I think we should make a new thread about grinding instead of derailing this one.

meeeeeeeeee

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Troll

Arktor Posted:

Minrepair – I didn’t really ever streak. Other people complained and I didn’t feel I had anything to add. And yes I have ‘complained’ about minrepair or at least posted about the fact it’s still not fully fixed (to my own disadvantage since the fix will likely prevent me from getting the cred peen) The ball is in CZs court on that one though.

As to the Mona Lisa itself, yes I currently press fewer bumons – this is the games legitimate reward for having ground Praypal until I achieved that goal. It’s not a balanced reward I’ll agree (though a fix for minrepair will partially address that)

Not the same at all as someone choosing to actually change the rules of the game for themselves (i.e. cheating) which is what scripting amounts to no matter how you dress it up. Instead of being a game about pwning forums, scripts would (without countermeasures) eventually make it a game about creating the most alts, and running scripts to gather scoops, buy and play cards, and winning medals while sitting outside sunning yourself. The single player aspect would survive, but any chance of competitive multiplayer would be lost.

Arktor

[Smooth Town Rebels]

Level 10 Camwhore

Medal Ninja

meeeeeeeeee Posted:

Not the same at all as someone choosing to actually change the rules of the game for themselves (i.e. cheating) which is what scripting amounts to

Do you have any basis to this claim? (Honest question)

Legitimate reward my bum. You’re exploiting a bug. Ergo it is not legitimate.

Arktor edited this message on 07/24/2008 3:55PM

meeeeeeeeee

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Troll

Arktor Posted:

Do you have any basis to this claim?

It’s not a claim, it’s self evident. You snipped the rest of the paragraph where I went on to explain. I’m just considering the consequences of players using scripts, and then extending them to other areas of the game.

Legitimate reward my bum. You’re exploiting a bug. End of story.

The DML is a legitimate reward for grinding. The DML is not a bug. It’s not balanced, but that’s also not a bug.

Minrepair is a bug. And yes, I and others are exploiting a ‘bug’ (more an oversight than a bug, but it amounts to the same thing) and I’ll stop just as soon as it’s fixed. Sooner, if you can somehow persuade everyone else to stop as well. Last word from Evil Trout was “enjoy it while it lasts”.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!