Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Fun DOMINATION THEME WEEK: July 23

Jubbles

Avatar: 24099 2011-10-31 20:24:56 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Camwhore

I went almost four years without a custom title and all I got was this custom title. Also, male reproductive organs.

The 8 scoop solo vanilla and (yes, I’m in THAT Klan) INCIT chocolate were very beneficial to my bracket as a whole.

I’m not going to think too hard on any of the other changes, as they didn’t really come into play from my vantage point.

Jubbles edited this message on 07/31/2008 2:29AM

plk

Avatar: 9972 2010-01-24 16:28:42 -0500

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Emo Kid

“The Infinite Sadness”

No ties at all is definitely a motivation killer. Sure, it’s still interesting to just play attack cards and try to trick people into hitting you when you’re not going for anything, but it isn’t *that* fun, at least not several weeks in a row. Whether you know that you won’t win anything because you’re taking turns with klanmates or you’re shut out of the possibility of winning because you have no other klanmates in your bracket, the incentive to play, and certainly the incentive to take the considerable extra time and effort to play cooperatively, is lessened. At least with the possibility of ties, you have a good reason to keep trying.

The INCIT scoop thing is a fine idea and can probably help people out some in those brackets where just a couple of scoops can make a big difference. But for me, it took me way too long to win even a single scoop, so I doubt I would use it in the future.

Scargrrrl

Level 20 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Yeah, that was a good fun bracket Jubbles.

Of course, it’s pretty obvious why you had to steal my Forumbuildr chocolate now, Orb took all the INCIT scoops. Log in to see images!

In other news: all the balance changes so far were good, and it would be nice to see INCIT chocolate made permanent whenever “test mode” is all done.

What I’d like to see though, is a non-theme week, just to spice things up. Log in to see images! Scargrrrl edited this message on 07/31/2008 3:04AM

Pickled male reproductive organ-
bum

[Board of Directors]

Level 10 Camwhore

AHAHA HEADSETS

Like i said in IDC, everything seems okay except for the ties thing – which isn’t the real issue, the issue is that everyone is in the same bracket every single week (already discussed)

this week clan vanilla looked like it didn’t effect most brackets, but thats because the only raiders were all in one bracket, everyone else just went for it solo. That one bracket still had that “locked down” feel to it as scully put it.

i am conflicted about the reversion to 12/11/12. raiding with 12/12/12 encouraged more raiding, but made raiding a trivial task. I favor more clans raiding, but also totally get that its supposed to be a trade off from such as lemon and pistachio (for the most part.)

unlike scully I like where bumholes are now. combined with 8 scoops for solo vanilla, it takes only about 3 solo vanilla runners to take out a clan raider, even at the amounts we pull in now. If thats the intentional ratio then cool. If you want to make it two solo runners per raider then raise it up to 8.

Of course I like the only-one-alt able to click “join raid” (since that was my suggested solution to alt towers)

Malaise

Avatar: 40838 2011-10-31 23:42:35 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trust me. I know edgy!

I haven’t read all of the other comments but am adding my two cents because Scully asked me to.

From the perspective of a non-Klan player with several alts, this week and these changes were excellent and made the game much better.

I had one alt in each of the top 6 brackets so I was able to see a lot of different strategies at play. The top bracket was too difficult so I just bought some attack cards and did a bit of damage which was still fun. The second bracket had three Squidly alts which he announced early on so again I didn’t really bother with it. But in all of the other brackets the game was extremely competitive with several people (4-8 I would estimate) playing hard for the win in each. I personally thought I had three medals wrapped up but was hit by about 20 cards in the last two minutes and couldn’t play my cards fast enough to recover (damn system freeze in the last minute!). Most other weeks these brackets are write-offs by Sunday.

The ability for a solo to get 300-400 in a week and the limited cards really changes the strategy radically and doesn’t let anyone get too far ahead of the pack without risking a dogpile reaction. Personally, I think the 30 card limit is probably too low but any kind of limit is better than none. I can’t speak to the ties since they don’t affect me – it appears the Betas decided early who was going to get what medal for them and just went ahead. Does anyone know how many inadvertent ties happened in other brackets?

To sum up, even as one of this week’s losers, I heartily endorse the changes. At least in the brackets I was playing, there were more people playing and they were playing better than I have seen before (i.e. using strategy throughout the week rather than just in the last 10 minutes).

The downside to these changes is that they make the problem of having more than one alt in the same bracket even worse. If you can use one alt for pure attack and the other for the win you have an enormous advantage over everyone else – even more so if you don’t have the decency to announce it.

Malaise

Avatar: 40838 2011-10-31 23:42:35 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trust me. I know edgy!

In answer to my own question about ties. I just checked and three of my guys ended up in inadvertent ties in different brackets. Why didn’t I play just one more round of blackjack!

Fran

Avatar: 34789 2015-08-06 21:23:09 -0400

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 62 Camwhore

I wonder who is the bumbling idiot that still has fake currency on this website and actually spends

Scoops awarded for wins in INCIT: Should be implemented a long, long time ago. It’s a double benefit: people are more interested in INCIT (which is dead most of the time) and removes some of the spam part of it, since there’s people willing to report vandalism there. I admit I suck at motivational posters so I’m almost never in INCIT, but it’s a good change for people who are interested and is willing put effort on it.

8 Scoops per Solo Vanilla: I think it’s a bit too much, but not really when you consider the impact of Klan Vanilla. Really makes stuff interesting if everyone on the bracket is doing it. But it’s a little overkill when no one does: my troll alt, bigsillypoopfacebot, raped my bracket using 12 visits because no one else did. We need more advertising on solo vanilla.

bumhole hitting by 6: Bring it back to 10, nuff said.

Hand Limit: Wait, you actually need to think ahead of “stack as much MI/Shields as you can” because of hand limit? 100% approved. Domination was lacking some strategy IMHO, this was a much needed change. Now you need to think what you’re doing with your hand and plan ahead. Welcome change, really.

No Ties: Mixed feelings as well. I agree because it’s a new strategy: force a tie to make the enemy lose medals. I tried to do it on Headsets don’t make you a man last week, it worked (scully didn’t medal Log in to see images! (no hard feelings, it’s just an example)). But I disagree because we have a really low medal pool. Most of the time people don’t really play because they think they can’t win, and/or because they think playing to wreak havoc is not fun/worth the effort. Most Scoops/Shields Destroyed was suggested in the past, and seems to be a nice idea.

Alts out of raids: Having to “Buy Scoops” to compete is not really my idea of a balanced PvP game. Not everyone can buy BPs or win contests to create alts. If you want to see another example of how broken this scheme is, do a little search for Dark Age of Camelot: Multibox (controlling multiple characters/accounts with one computer) became so popular, people had to control at least 3 different characters at the same time to be able to “solo” PvP without being at a disadvantage. Two thumbs up for this change.

When a raid group pwns 12 forums, raid group members have to beat forums not already owned by anyone in their raid group in order to get subsequent scoops: Doesn’t really help promoting raiding. We need major changes to prevent the disparity between Klan players and Solo players, but the 12-12-12 method was attracting more people into raiding. I think there’s better solutions then this.

Well, those are my opinions. Log in to see images! Fran edited this message on 07/31/2008 7:37AM

Goth_Jesus

[Smooth Town Rebels]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Malaise Posted:

If you can use one alt for pure attack and the other for the win you have an enormous advantage over everyone else – even more so if you don’t have the decency to announce it.

Or two or even three alts. Although I think the end of this dom season might fix this problem.

Amasius

Avatar: 21158 2015-06-13 23:07:57 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

OMFG! It is MY bum!

INCIT scoops: I don’t play Incit (I already spend to much time with Forumwarz and I doubt that I’d be good at it) but I’m grateful for everything that lessens the predominance of vanilla scoops. Incit might be open for exploitation but what isn’t? It’s part of the Forumwarz universe and Orb and the others of 70CS certainly deserve some scoops for keeping it alive.

I’d like to know how many chocolate scoops dedicated Incit players made this week, but I doubt that the change had a noticeable impact on the outcome in the higher brackets. Maybe they made a difference in the lower brackets.

8 scoops for solo vanilla: Mixed feelings. Solo players could make a lot of scoops but not enough to compete with raiders (though that wasn’t a problem this week because there were no raiders outside the top bracket). Together with the hand limit it allowed for great new strategic options and fun competition. On the other hand it made the scoop gab between experienced players and beginners even bigger and – worse – now even solo players can easily make more vanilla scoops than all other flavours combined.

bumhole hitting for 6: I disagree with scully; that you can play them at any time makes them very powerful. They didn’t make an impact in the top bracket not because the bumhole isn’t powerful enough but because vanilla raiding gives ridiculous amounts of scoops.

In my bracket (Headsets) almost a dozen players made more than 300 scoops this week (without raiding!) and in the end Max Scoops was only 66. There were a lot of bumholes played in the last minutes. I’d prefer it, if bumholes would hit for 10 if you have less than 4 scoops and attack randomly one of the three players with the most scoops and if you have 4 or more scoops they hit for 5 and attack only the player with the most scoops.

Hand limit: Great change. If you make a lot of scoops early in the week you are forced to play some cards if you don’t want to expose your scoops. This way you can optimise your hand to your strategy. Together with 8 scoops for solo vanilla it offers a lot more strategical options and action within the week and not only in the last 5 minutes.

No ties: I love it! The fight for medals is much more fiercely and fun though it would be better if the higher brackets were a bit smaller – about 20 players should be right.

Keeping alts out of raids: Simply put the reason for the best dom round this season so far. Thumps up! But though this week there were no players with raided vanilla outside the top bracket nothing prevents that they pester lower brackets in the future.

When a raid group pwns 12 forums, raid group members have to beat forums not already owned by anyone in their raid group in order to get subsequent scoops: Not really a solution, vanilla raids are still broken and overpowered.

All things considered the changes are a big step in the right direction.

—- —- —-

My personal experience this week: I was in the second bracket, Headsets, and it was a merciless fight in there. I loved it!

I had 12 visits saved and completed a pistachio loop on Sunday. I made 3 successful runs for solo vanilla, so I got way more scoops than ever before. The hand limit forced me like the others to play cards midweek to optimise my hand or else the exposed scoops would have been wasted. I still lost almost 70 scoops before the last day because I couldn’t protect them, so it isn’t necessarily a big advantage any more to save visits.

The last minutes were nerve-wracking. 9 players were fighting for medals and some more were attacking just for the fun of it. My timing was almost perfect this week but in hindsight I made two small tactical mistakes which might have cost me Min Scoops. Well, we live to learn. In the end I had the second most scoops and if ercbume hadn’t killed a pistachio in the last second I’d have tied with Squidly for Min Scoops.

It isn’t surprising that Squidly won all medals – he had three alts and a lot of klanmates in the bracket, but unlike vanilla raids those are advantages of klan cooperation and having a lot of alts that I really don’t mind. Also I’m kinda glad that I didn’t won any medals – being in the top bracket would be sooooooooo boring. Log in to see images!

bum

[Board of Directors]

Level 10 Camwhore

AHAHA HEADSETS

a note, with 8 scoops for solo raiding, if everyone in the top bracket decided to solo raid, and buy bumholes, they would have been able to really make a difference against those raiders. It wouldn’t have been locked down.

again one of the problems is that among the people “not playing” in the top bracket are a handfull of betas, who generally (with exception of maybe scully) won’t blast their klanmates down.

meeeeeeeeee

Avatar: 15443 2010-04-04 18:27:25 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Troll

Sneakily vicious and filled with virtuous pit bulls.

You don’t need to destroy the towers to prevent a player from earning medals. It’d be enough to force a tie, if two players are particularly close to each other. A tough job to coordinate that when players are actively playing their cards though. It does at least force players to be on at the end of the round, if they were sitting back relaxing and thinking they had a sure thing…

Pluvius

Avatar: 10089 2010-01-24 16:29:03 -0500

[ClansRGay]

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

I wasn’t really in the round this week, but the changes appeared to correct most of the Klan/solo gap that has been plaguing the game for a long time now. The only thing I think really needs to be added is a complete separation between Klan vanilla and solo vanilla. After that, if raiding is still overpowered, you can just revise solo vanilla upward to counterbalance.

Even though I wouldn’t consider it a requirement, I think it would also be a good idea to make larger clans pwn more forums in raids. It would encourage more, smaller Klans and therefore more competition and less of a chance of some group like Ep2Beta killing a bracket.

Pluvius edited this message on 07/31/2008 6:14PM

plk

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Emo Kid

“The Infinite Sadness”

Raids really should give a much greater reward than solo playing. Finding the right players who are able to coordinate and commit to working together is not easy or quick and I’m not sure why solo players should be able to compete with that.

bum

[Board of Directors]

Level 10 Camwhore

AHAHA HEADSETS

Pluvius Posted:

Even though I wouldn’t consider it a requirement, I think it would also be a good idea to make larger clans pwn more forums in raids. It would encourage more, smaller Klans and therefore more competition and less of a chance of some group like Ep2Beta killing a bracket.

we are actually a pretty small clan. though i think its a pretty good idea, Its not diligent to bumume it would hurt beta’s raid returns.

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

plk Posted:

I’m not sure why solo players should be able to compete with that.

Because:

plk Posted:

Finding the right players who are able to coordinate and commit to working together is not easy or quick

So if we can’t do it, we’re shut out of that aspect of the game? Wow, how fun.

plk

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Emo Kid

“The Infinite Sadness”

No, as a solo player, you can do well in many brackets; just maybe not the top bracket if that’s where all the klanned players end up.

spacekadt

Avatar: 16186 2011-11-01 00:02:40 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Camwhore

meh

plk Posted:

No, as a solo player, you can do well in many brackets; just maybe not the top bracket if that’s where all the klanned players end up.

So when they do well in the lower brackets, they end up in the top bracket and are just screwed for the rest of the season?

I can tell everyone here from experience just how ****ed that is.

spacekadt

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Camwhore

meh

Pluvius Posted:

The only thing I think really needs to be added is a complete separation between Klan vanilla and solo vanilla. After that, if raiding is still overpowered, you can just revise solo vanilla upward to counterbalance.

Ok, I’m totally confused. How do you know if raiding is still overpowered if you have klans and solo players *completely* separated? There’s a totally different dynamic there that will equal totally different strategies and lead to comparing apples to oranges.

plk

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Emo Kid

“The Infinite Sadness”

If people were actually dropped back down out of the top bracket when they didn’t win, I don’t see how it would be a problem. It makes sense to me to go down a bracket if you lose a couple of weeks in a row.

plk edited this message on 07/31/2008 6:56PM

spacekadt

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Camwhore

meh

plk Posted:

If people were actually dropped back down out of the top bracket when they didn’t win, I don’t see how it would be a problem. Wasn’t that how you won 8 or so medals the last week of the last season?

Double medals on the last week along with some klannies helping me win them. I know you know that concept.

And umm… apparently, people don’t tend to drop back down when they’ve done well enough. I don’t know if it’s the 7 medals I have from this season (which is two or three good weeks in the lower brackets) or managing to do well enough last season, but I’ve been screwed since about week 3 of this season. Yay, it’s been REAL ****ING FUN lemme tell ya.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!