Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Role Playing
Switch to Civil Discussion Role-Playing
Religion ITT: KPC FORUM INFO LEAKED

Natalie Petr-
ov

Avatar: 30861 2010-01-24 16:36:34 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 69 Camwhore

Queen of Hats and enjoy

Yes, to summarize my entire input into RP as a whole right now:

RPing as a person is easier than RPing as part of a group.

RPing as a group is dangerous because it can lead to the RP being closed off and outsiders not participating (bumuming that the goal is to get the outsiders to participate, which is what my goal has always been).

RP as a whole would (in my opinion) benefit from outsiders participating since it rejuvenates the storyline.

RP that seems too closed off leads to people a) considering it TL;DR (even though I read it anyway because I just like RP, gosh) or b) not something they feel comfortable participating in.

ETA: I think that the “closed-off group” idea applies to SRSLY RP as well as TGC — I’m not singling anyone out with this.

Natalie Petrov edited this message on 07/19/2008 9:07PM

nanathunderjesus gets you LIGHTNING IN YOUR FIST Posted:

nanathunderjesus gets you LIGHTNING IN YOUR FIST: That and, as i’ve said in that thread, a lot of their rp failed to engage their audience

8:55PM

Natalie: Yes, that is BANG ON.

nanathunderjesus gets you LIGHTNING IN YOUR FIST: It was thing that felt closed off to the rest of forumwarz

Natalie: That is one of the best insights that I think there’s been.

elenaratelimit: their rp was tl;dr

elenaratelimit: for rp to be TL it has to be interesting

AAHZ: sillyness

Natalie: The inability to participate in RP because you don’t feel as though you’re part of it, or you worry that by posting you’ll overstep some boundary.

SIG-ENABLING MOCK-CONGLER: well at least they seemed to enjoy it

Natalie: I think that is absolutely a major aspect of the RP issue within ForumWarz.

SIG-ENABLING MOCK-CONGLER: if no one else did

elenaratelimit: i read 2 sentences then spaced out and started diddling myself

8:56PM

elenaratelimit: i can’t read that **** ****

SIG-ENABLING MOCK-CONGLER: as long as theyre having fun who cares right?

Natalie: Sure, they enjoyed it, but the idea of RP is to get others involved, to get them inspired, to get them participating, and if it feels that removed, then that’s not going to happen.

elenaratelimit: I CARE

elenaratelimit: DEEPLY

nanathunderjesus gets you LIGHTNING IN YOUR FIST: Definitely

Natalie: No, no, we’re not CRITICIZING the RP per se. The RP was good — the lack of ability for outsiders to participate was the downfall.

SIG-ENABLING MOCK-CONGLER: well you dont have to read their terrible investigation **** yanno

nanathunderjesus gets you LIGHTNING IN YOUR FIST: And the reason why I keep touting Briddy’s rping so much is that while you weren’t able to particpate with her, it was ****ing hilarious

nanathunderjesus gets you LIGHTNING IN YOUR FIST: Which was the payoff for reading it

Natalie: I think that’s the real key to the whole issue, which means that if we can figure out how to open up RP THAT way, then we can address the issue.

8:57PM

Natalie: Who was she RPing as?

Natalie: Fact?

Natalie: Which I misspelled three times — impressive for four letters.

nanathunderjesus gets you LIGHTNING IN YOUR FIST: Yeah, Fact

elenaratelimit: i like RPing that is more like a ‘person’ posting in a character rather than a thread where ‘things happen’ but that’s just me

nanathunderjesus gets you LIGHTNING IN YOUR FIST: Sig, we’re not trying to leave RP alone, we’re trying to help it

8:58PM

nanathunderjesus gets you LIGHTNING IN YOUR FIST: And I agree with elenaratelimit, I usually just space out if the story in the rp doesn’t catch my attention

SIG-ENABLING MOCK-CONGLER: well you guys are in fact one of the original troll klans

nanathunderjesus gets you LIGHTNING IN YOUR FIST: AND I AGREE WITH elenaratelimit AGAIN

nanathunderjesus gets you LIGHTNING IN YOUR FIST: I like characters. :3

Natalie: elenaratelimit: I think that it’s easier to RP a character in general because you can react to a character more easily than you can to an RP story arc that seems closed off.

8:59PM

elenaratelimit: Natalie: yeah if you miss a few pages you are kind of left out

elenaratelimit: and if it doesnt interest me i wont read it =\ i am lazy

Thanks, that makes sense.

Nocturnal_He-
artache

[SRSLY]

Level 61 Emo Kid

“Final Cut Pro”

Monkey in a suit with a gun Posted:

This may be the case.

I tried to be inclusive though, as evidence by the fact that re-re’s and Emos who had nothing to do with the klan were constantly getting themselves involved and I included them every time.

But I do accept that this may be a big part of the problem.

Haaa, that would be me. Log in to see images!

Nocturnal_Heartache Posted:

Haaa, that would be me. Log in to see images!

Yes it would and I LOVED it everytime you got yourself involved. Every time.

gigerth

Avatar: 30869 Fri Jun 26 22:33:49 -0400 2009

[Team Shortbus]

Level 31 Troll

i was jealous so i changed his title

troll roleplat – enough probably too much also very weak

robots – bunch of spam branching from spies

spies – longwinded, big circlejerk

camwhore – escher gone, little/no activity

emo – honestly even if it was good it would be horrible nobody wants to do this

rere – great

ok

gigerth Posted:

troll roleplat – enough probably too much also very weak

robots – bunch of spam branching from spies

spies – longwinded, big circlejerk

camwhore – escher gone, little/no activity

emo – honestly even if it was good it would be horrible nobody wants to do this

rere – great

ok

So we should all just be re-res and Trolls then?

I mean I get what you are saying, but if what you are saying is true, then the problem is largely with the game itself, since we only have so many clbumes to choose from, and apparently no one is open to RP that is too far outside the box.

Not completely disagreeing with you there though.

Janie

[SRSLY]

Level 25 Emo Kid

I... HAERT TEH FIREFOX TOO!

See, my take on it is that there are hundreds of threads in fwz that I don’t enjoy, don’t feel are my cup of tea, or are tl;dr. I stick to the ones I enjoy. I don’t play domination, but I don’t complain that the domination players don’t make me feel welcome. They’re not rolling out the red carpet, but if I was really interested, I’d find a way to get involved.

There are valid points here, but I also don’t think that every thread has a responsibility to engage and entertain the entire community. If a few people are entertained, even if it’s just the thread participants, where’s the problem in that?

I’m not going to go into my reasons for backing off roleplay, but will just say that the forums as they stand are simply not conducive to any kind of RP, whether it be out-there like spy RP or down to earth.

gigerth

[Team Shortbus]

Level 31 Troll

i was commenting on the state but as it stands the easiest paths are rere and troll

mostly because most people want to troll and the fact that you can pretty much do anything with rere

camwhore is possible but the only person who i ever noticed doing it well that was entertaining was escher

episode 2 won’t change anything either if it ever comes out

the only clbum i’ve heard of is hacker (and permanoob but that’s just rere)

how are you supposed to roleplay with tha t

gigerth

[Team Shortbus]

Level 31 Troll

Janie Posted:

See, my take on it is that there are hundreds of threads in fwz that I don’t enjoy, don’t feel are my cup of tea, or are tl;dr. I stick to the ones I enjoy. I don’t play domination, but I don’t complain that the domination players don’t make me feel welcome. They’re not rolling out the red carpet, but if I was really interested, I’d find a way to get involved.

There are valid points here, but I also don’t think that every thread has a responsibility to engage and entertain the entire community. If a few people are entertained, even if it’s just the thread participants, where’s the problem in that?

I’m not going to go into my reasons for backing off roleplay, but will just say that the forums as they stand are simply not conducive to any kind of RP, whether it be out-there like spy RP or down to earth.

because you are a terrible terrible person

Orb

Avatar: 33233 Tue Oct 21 12:46:08 -0400 2008

[70 Character Story-
tellers
]

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

As it stands, RPing on Forumwarz feels like putting on a play, naked, while people jeer at you. You’re certainly not likely to put on the performance of your life, even bumuming that the script isn’t garbage.

I’m not going to blame the audience, because that’s a coward’s move… but either way, it feels pointless.

Janie

[SRSLY]

Level 25 Emo Kid

gigerth Posted:

because you are a terrible terrible person

Yeah, I really can’t imagine why new players don’t roleplay. It’s hard to figure out what could be keeping them from trying anything new…

AAHZ

Avatar: 4016 2013-08-02 05:07:06 -0400

[Forumwarz Active P-
layers
]

Level 69 Troll

SAGAMI -WUZ- HERE

Janie Posted:

Yeah, I really can’t imagine why new players don’t roleplay. It’s hard to figure out what could be keeping them from trying anything new…

agreed.

ok lets make out now!

UNBAN DRUNKENLAZYBASTARD

gigerth Posted:

i was commenting on the state but as it stands the easiest paths are rere and troll

mostly because most people want to troll and the fact that you can pretty much do anything with rere

camwhore is possible but the only person who i ever noticed doing it well that was entertaining was escher

episode 2 won’t change anything either if it ever comes out

the only clbum i’ve heard of is hacker (and permanoob but that’s just rere)

how are you supposed to roleplay with tha t

Good question I have no idea.

I do agree that some clbumes are just much easier to roleplay with than others too, re-re and troll are p. easy really.

Still though, I don’t like every thread I see, in fact most of them are just boring to me, so I just ignore them and move on to ones I think I can do something with, or else I read for the fun and stay out of it so I don’t **** it up.

I don’t see why that is so hard to do. Why not just ignore**** you don’t like but is at least roleplay? I guess that’s my opinion, other people seem to think that every thread should be hugely entertaining to everyone…I just don’t see how that is possible

gigerth

[Team Shortbus]

Level 31 Troll

janies doom of the roleplays

Janie

[SRSLY]

Level 25 Emo Kid

And since this is in a roleplay forum, (which doesn’t seem to mean roleplay to many, it seems to mean “get away with being your own self but pretend it’s roleplaying if anyone calls you on it” ), I don’t see any point in trying to have a serious discussion. I appreciate those who seem to really be trying to have a dialog, but have long since learned that dialogs on fwz are more often than not just a long, poorly-disguised lead-up to a troll war.

gigerth

[Team Shortbus]

Level 31 Troll

a dialogue was successfully had here

you just can’t seem to keep one up it seems janie

pity

Natalie Petr-
ov

Avatar: 30861 2010-01-24 16:36:34 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 69 Camwhore

Queen of Hats and enjoy

To clarify: I have no issue with a thread not being entertaining to everyone. I have no issue with a thread being interesting only to the people in it. I have no issue with closed-off story arcs in RP. I have no issue with any of that.

However, since I started SRSLY to encourage RP, I am very interested in what causes RP to stagnate and what prevents it from spreading. As a result, I have attempted to figure out what hinders some threads from taking off — so that’s why I’ve noted that closed-off story arcs do tend to lead to people not participating. It’s not a criticism at all, only a note as to what I can try to do to improve.

Natalie Posted:

To clarify: I have no issue with a thread not being entertaining to everyone. I have no issue with a thread being interesting only to the people in it. I have no issue with closed-off story arcs in RP. I have no issue with any of that.

However, since I started SRSLY to encourage RP, I am very interested in what causes RP to stagnate and what prevents it from spreading. As a result, I have attempted to figure out what hinders some threads from taking off — so that’s why I’ve noted that closed-off story arcs do tend to lead to people not participating. It’s not a criticism at all, only a note as to what I can try to do to improve.

I took what you said the way you meant it, as constructive criticism from somoeone who is very interested in RP and how it works best. I understood you no problem here. Log in to see images!

Janie

[SRSLY]

Level 25 Emo Kid

gigerth Posted:

a dialogue was successfully had here

you just can’t seem to keep one up it seems janie

pity

Yes, you’re right. A dialog was had here by nana and natalie. You were not in any way participating in a dialog. I was not either, since I just gave my opinion, and was not responded to in a meaningful way, therefore did not respond back.

Again, roleplaying forum, so license to be an bumhole. Not conducive to discussion.

o

Bauzer

Avatar: 14338 Sat Jan 03 15:31:28 -0500 2009

Level 36 Emo Kid

some of us are underrated Role Players.

some of us CONTROL the storylines.

and all of us keep coming back…

i dont see a problem.

(c)Famine.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!