Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Role Playing
Switch to Civil Discussion Role-Playing
Bug - 3 The truth about klan vanilla and current game balance as I see it.

scully

Avatar: 12797 2015-07-20 16:59:13 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

Yeah, posting in whiny ****es, because I feel like one right now.

We have a problem with klan vanilla, we all know it. Truth is no matter how often it is repeated, no one seems to get that klan size means diddly at this point. Total available visits is all that matters. Not to be a jackbum, but male reproductive organbum, myself and either Grinning Man, Ricket or Spot, could come really close to matching the Ep. 2 klan scoop totals. 6 – 10 players is our normal raid size. The klans aren’t the problem, the klan vanilla mechanic is the problem. There are a ton of good suggestions for helping with the klan vanilla problem in this thread. Most of them won’t do a damn thing since every person in a klan also happens to be a solo player. As long as there is an option to receive scoops when your visits are gone, it is going to remain a serious advantage.

Domination as a game, doesn’t even feel like a game anymore, it’s just a matter of which side had more visits available this week. It used to be a form of PvP, now it’s an arrangement based on who will be tying for what in which bracket. It’s sad. Purely a collectors game, not at all PvP.

Truth is I’m very frustrated by the free for all nature of a lot of ForumWarz, but I’m most frustrated with the extremely negative focus on Domination when there isn’t a single aspect of the game that doesn’t suffer the same “gang” problems. The focus is shifted almost exclusively to Domination because collectible rewards are attached to it. It’s part of why I was hoping some of the non-active posters would chime in with opinions. I just don’t think the majority of the players bother with Flamebate, so we are never going to hear from them.

My personal opinion? The implication that certain players should be the police for any segment of the game is ridiculous. The suggestion to break up klans to keep things more balanced – are you joking? If Ep. 2 and Brainfreeze broke up today, new klans would take their place. Maybe the players who constantly play INCIT should stop and let others have a turn. Same with Forumbuildr – if a player managed to start winning early, they currently have a crazy advantage. How can a new player ever hope to compete? As for Flamebate, all the regulars who hound out 90% of new posters? Well, they need to just break up their klans – stop coming out to defend each other like the wolf packs they are. But then no one needs to do that right now, since 50% of the threads are geared toward *gasp of horror* getting an e-peen. The other 50% of the threads? Mainly about how everyone is a **** poster and there is nothing worth anything on the forums. Did I get everything? Oh, no, everyone sitting on top of a leader board should stop playing to give others a chance.

I’m not being serious about those suggestions. They are silly, just as silly as telling players not to play using the game mechanics endorsed by the game creators. All of these things are the same problems, and the problems aren’t actually the players, although certainly the players and a gaming nature contribute greatly. The problems are the mechanics of the individual areas of the game. They are all open to exploit in one way or another, and because there are no non-competitive areas at all, there will always be serious ****ing and angst.

The Domination players are regularly skewered and yet they seem to be the players most willing to offer suggestions for how to fix things. What no one seems to be grasping is that none of it matters, since any fix for anything is going to be back burnered. CZ is focused on Episode 2 for a damn good reason – they need more bodies. All you have to do to see that the active player base has declined is look at the Domination brackets, look at Flamebate. There used to be more bodies. Current player base word of mouth will get you so far, but a major expansion will do more overall good. So shut the **** up, and live with it all or take a break until Ep. 2 hits.

scully

Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted. Log in to see images!

Illegal Multi

Level 1 Re-Re

what the **** are you talking about

scullyangel Posted:

Domination

oh good i don’t have to know

Nillo

Avatar: 13243 2015-07-21 17:58:06 -0400

[COMPOSOLITION]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I suck dirty homeless guys male reproductive organs all night long

What is this about Flamebate? I haven’t seen any of the “hounding out new posters” you’re talking about. The only ones who get harbumed are those who post unfunny stuff, and that’s how it should be. TSB may be in a constant state of circlejerking but I never saw them pick on the good, funny RPers.

crayoncakes

[Team Shortbus]

Level 31 Troll

To Earthend and beyond!

I think people make fun of the domination players because of things like raids that go on for hours.

(although I’d agree that the number of submissions you get with higher buildr scores is pretty crazy)

Amasius

Avatar: 21158 2015-06-13 23:07:57 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

OMFG! It is MY bum!

Yeah, I agree – it’s ridiculous to blame the raiding klans that domination is broken, they just play by the rules. It’s up to Crotch Zombie to rebalance it. They are already overloaded with creating Episode 2 but I still hope that they don’t ignore domination for now, because once E2 is out they have for many weeks a lot stress fixing bugs, advertising the game et cetera et cetera.

A simple quick fix could be to limit the number of participants for raids. If only 8 or 10 chars (alts, not players) can join a raid they’d earn much less scoops but it’d be still worthwhile. The raiding klans just would have to organise more of those mini-raids.

­

scullyangel Posted:

Same with Forumbuildr – if a player managed to start winning early, they currently have a crazy advantage. How can a new player ever hope to compete?

Kinda true, but you only have an advantage if your submissions are good successfull week after week and the more submissions you have the harder it is to come up with something decent – at least for me. I had 14 submissions this week and my stuff does pretty well but I got only about 20 scoops – 5 cards more or less hardly matter for domination. (Voting for Forumbuildr is kinda broken too, but we can’t blame CZ for that… )

Amasius edited this message on 07/10/2008 10:30AM

scully

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

Nillo Posted:

What is this about Flamebate? I haven’t seen any of the “hounding out new posters” you’re talking about. The only ones who get harbumed are those who post unfunny stuff, and that’s how it should be. TSB may be in a constant state of circlejerking but I never saw them pick on the good, funny RPers.

You are taking this personally, and it’s strictly business. Until quite recently the only RP that was allowed to really continue for any amount of time was trolling. Someone could take the time to create a character and their RP would be gleefully derailed. There was even some thread in Game Discussion awhile ago where member after member claimed that the only good RPers on the boards were trolls.

Recently I got a real kick out of the RPing by Emotion Bleeds. No idea if they revealed who they were in the end, and I’m certainly not going to, but they did a fine job – in character whiny, poetry posting emo all the way. Their own klan ganged up with no restraint explaining what a **** poster they were. The attack was not an emo vs troll thing, it was pretty much just “you suck” over and over. It’s just my opinion, and I’m not really a RPer at all, but to me that is actually trolling rather than role playing a troll.

I’m not saying this attitude is the doom, it’s just the way it has been. I don’t RP, so it has no impact on me personally. I’m just making an observation. I will say that it’s noticeable lately that things have shifted away from that a bit, I don’t know if it’s a good thing or bad, or if it will encourage new RPers and just leave Flamebate sitting there postless. Regardless, my point in bringing up Flamebate was not to point fingers, it was to say that there are trouble spots in every area of the game. Bigger trouble spots whenever an e-peen is attached, imo.

You say “The only ones who get harbumed are those who post unfunny stuff…” By that logic any player not doing the best job RPing deserves what they get. Ok. Klan vanilla is available to anyone willing to play Dom to the fullest, any player not willing to do the best job playing Dom deserves what they get. This is what is currently happening and no one is happy about it. It leaves no room for a new player to test the waters. Leaves no chance for someone wanting to play more casually. It is why there is a problem.

crayoncakes Posted:

I think people make fun of the domination players because of things like raids that go on for hours.

I hope no one thinks I give a crap about that. Christ, I’m a huge douche / know it all / e-peen whore / Dom player! Go me! Log in to see images! Honestly, I don’t think most of the Dom players give a crap about whether they get **** for taking the game seriously. Maybe some do, but for the most part we know we are more gamer-y than the other areas of the game, and thus deserving of **** for taking things seriously.

Right now, what I’m seeing from the Domination players is a lot of them being frustrated for playing the game as it was intended and thus ****ing off everyone else. At the same time they are bored by the lack of competition. Pretty much I’m just being ****y and ranting, which is why I posted it in whiny ****es.

Pickled male reproductive organ-
bum

[Board of Directors]

Level 10 Camwhore

AHAHA HEADSETS

crayoncakes Posted:

(although I’d agree that the number of submissions you get with higher buildr scores is pretty crazy)

i dont even use all of mine anymore. im sitting on 12 now. (and still pulling in a respectable amount of chocolate scoops)

I'M A SIG-DISABLING COCKMONGLER

Malaise

Avatar: 40838 2011-10-31 23:42:35 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trust me. I know edgy!

Since I believe most of your rant is targeted at my comment in your other thread let me reiterate my point. I’m not saying you should be forced to break up anything or not play your hardest. I’m saying that I don’t understand how you personally would not gain far more fun and competition if for example you took half of Beta and started another Klan and PD kept the remainder and you actually competed. If rather than just making the game one of Klan raid endurance you then had to layer on a level of strategy like in, you know, a real game. And no, I don’t consider someone sending an e-mail to the other players telling them what total to finish with being skillful play.

You are absolutely correct that none of us expects any change from CZ at this point which means that the change comes from the community or not at all. So here it is then, if you guys truly want competition – compete. If you don’t, then quit starting threads where you pretend to want it. I’m not sure if you and PD are alts of each other, I don’t think so, but I find it interesting that you start threads asking for suggestions and then he hammers down anyone who dares to make one.

Malaise edited this message on 07/10/2008 10:44AM

Veer

Avatar: 2059 Thu Nov 13 08:18:14 -0500 2008

[Team Shortbus]

Level 32 Troll

my only complaint is that you people are happy

the game is broken whoa

raiders get blamed because a lot of them, you know

defend raiding

like, they want to keep klan vanilla

and not make it more open to casual players

just saying

scully

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

Btw, the Forumbuildr advantage is purely a submission advantage. I don’t think the scoops delivered are out of proportion. I think that aspect of things is cool, and with vanilla an option, no one is milking chocolate scoops for a win against klan vanilla.

It’s just a matter of someone with 20 submissions being more likely to have something evade the mbumive down voting due to sheer volume. And who knows, maybe those are always the best entries anyway. After all they’ve been doing it a long time and know what people like. I just see someone make a negative post about something and suddenly it’s down voted out of the running. If a newer player had the idea, they are likely done for the week. If it’s an older player they can resubmit it 6 more times.

elenaratelim-
it

Avatar: 24791 2010-03-21 18:12:06 -0400

[Team Shortbus]

Level 44 Troll

chica bonita

Other klans should definitely raid more if they want to up the competition but it seems like people say it but don’t organize…

I just think sometimes people [in klans that haven’t organized raids – some klan forums can be slower and more stagnant than others etc] feel discouraged if they try their solo best via speed runs/forum loops/forumbuildr/gambling (if you can’t make tons raiding you need to compensate in other areas) etc anyway week after week but always end up in brackets where there are a few people that already planned their ties and how they will win it. I mean the players that do this seem to agree planning ties etc is boring – but it happens anyway every time and it happens across many brackets not just one or two…

With this alt I have been grinding so not bothered with domination but I have a camwhore that tries… and is always foiled at the last moments.

/whiny**** Log in to see images!

elenaratelimit edited this message on 07/10/2008 10:52AM

bum

[Board of Directors]

Level 10 Camwhore

AHAHA HEADSETS

Malaise Posted:

Since I believe most of your rant is targeted at my comment in your other thread let me reiterate my point. I’m not saying you should be forced to break up anything or not play your hardest. I’m saying that I don’t understand how you personally would not gain far more fun and competition if for example you took half of Beta and started another Klan and PD kept the remainder and you actually competed. If rather than just making the game one of Klan raid endurance you then had to layer on a level of strategy like in, you know, a real game. And no, I don’t consider someone sending an e-mail to the other players telling them what total to finish with being skillful play.

You are absolutely correct that none of us expects any change from CZ at this point which means that the change comes from the community or not at all. So here it is then, if you guys truly want competition – compete. If you don’t, then quit starting threads where you pretend to want it. I’m not sure if you and PD are alts of each other, I don’t think so, but I find it interesting that you start threads asking for suggestions and then he hammers down anyone who dares to make one.

I hammer down the logic behind ideas, only if i see cracks in them. there are plenty of ideas out there that make sense.

TeeKayEff

[Team Shortbus]

Level 34 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Pickled male reproductive organbum Posted:

I hammer down the logic behind ideas, only if i see cracks in them. there are plenty of ideas out there that make sense.

So far every suggestion or idea or criticism I’ve ever seen you make or point out was purely for the sake of self-preservation. Just saying.

Lo! Log in to see images!

bum

[Board of Directors]

Level 10 Camwhore

AHAHA HEADSETS

well, that’s just selective memory, or not paying attention.

i make suggestions that would be detrimental to myself pretty frequently, especially when they are ideas on how to fix imbalances

also sorry if i thought breaking up your team to play against yourselves was a bad idea

Pickled Dickbutt edited this message on 07/10/2008 11:00AM

scully

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

Veer Posted:

the game is broken whoa

raiders get blamed because a lot of them, you know

defend raiding

like, they want to keep klan vanilla

and not make it more open to casual players

just saying

The thing is, most of the raiders don’t. You can’t fool me you old troll. I know damn well you read all those posts, and often comment. Most of the Dom players want a change. Most have made many suggestions for how to fix it. Currently the options are . . . don’t raid. I realize a lot of the players think this is the best option, but unless every player agrees not to do it, well, it’s just a ****ty option.

Malaise’ suggestions to break up the klan is loony as hell. And honestly expresses again exactly how uninformed about raiding most people are. I will say again, Ep. 2 could be 5 players and still raid to the same level in the same amount of time. Would you suggest TSB break up, so that there were more troll klans? Nana has recently been posting that there should be more troll klans, so I guess the best solution is for TSB to break up and form smaller klans so there is some trolling competition. We would like more players, not the same players on different teams.

As for PDB coming in and shooting things down or whatever, well, he is just more upfront about things than most of us. Most of the raiders are very aware of which ideas won’t do squat, they are either too kind to flat out shoot them down, or too self centered and want them to be considered since they won’t have an impact.

No we aren’t the same person – I would have more e-peens than him if we were. E-peen whoring bastard. I think it’s a **** for those who haven’t raided to see when something will be pointless as a change. When you are doing it weekly you can see if there would be a point in making a certain change, or if the change could be worked around easily. We aren’t looking for an easy work around, that will leave us right where we are.

When the 5 finger discount week was announced solo players went ‘wheee!’ screw you klan vanilla! Klan players went ‘wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!’ Klans that are raiding with any skill do everything solo players do, and then they get klan vanilla, too. It cannot and will not ever be equal. It shouldn’t be 100% equal if one player is willing to spend an extra 3 or 4 hours a week playing, they deserve some sort of reward for that time investment. It’s just that the current reward is too large. The best that could happen would be a character cap on raids and a limit on number of raids a character could join in a week.

elenaratelimit Posted:

Other klans should definitely raid more if they want to up the competition but it seems like people say it but don’t organize…

Yup. The thing is it isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, and I really get that. Not everyone wants to take an extra couple of hours a week to play Domination. I just really wish that those that wanted to would realize how few people are needed if you have a few alts each. I’d also really like it if it wasn’t such a complete lock down based on the scoop difference.

Honestly, I’d have no problem with having klan vanilla disabled for awhile until a more balanced form of klan play was possible.

bum

[Board of Directors]

Level 10 Camwhore

AHAHA HEADSETS

scullyangel Posted:

Nana has recently been posting that there should be more troll klans, so I guess the best solution is for TSB to break up and form smaller klans so there is some trolling competition. We would like more players, not the same players on different teams.

they… uh… they do this every now and then, actually

bum

[Board of Directors]

Level 10 Camwhore

AHAHA HEADSETS

i really do want to see my/the darwin week theme idea. no clan vanilla, no cards, just solo scoops in the rough.

Pickled Dickbutt edited this message on 07/10/2008 11:37AM

scully

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

Oh I know, but it’s never a real thing. They are always still working together. If we split up and raided and then got into the same brackets and agreed to work together, what the hell would the point in breaking up be? I guess the drama would be funny. When TSB does it, it’s for the serious comedy. Should we break up for the drama? Who will get the headsets? Log in to see images!

TeeKayEff

[Team Shortbus]

Level 34 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

We did it once and it was a joke.

TSB, as far as I’m concerned, will never split up. We’re more of a tightly knit organism of love and caring than you people suspect we are. Log in to see images!

Lo! Log in to see images!

bum

[Board of Directors]

Level 10 Camwhore

AHAHA HEADSETS

... orgies?

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!